Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > the solution to block data on iPhone 3G

the solution to block data on iPhone 3G
DeeKat
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2008, 08:33 PM

I found this site : http://unlockit.co.nz/unlock.php

you can change the APN (whattever that means) so data connection will be impossible. Great way to have an iPhone without a data plan and make sure you dont end up with a huge bill.

Cheers
deekat

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 11:54 PM

Why would you want an iPhone without a data connection?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 24, 2008, 12:21 AM

International travel.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2008, 01:26 AM

How is this different from "Disable Data Roaming" ?

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How is this different from "Disable Data Roaming" ?
I'm curious about that too.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2008, 12:07 PM

Mastrap: here in Canada were's stuck with Rogers expensive data plan, and Wifi is quite everywhere in my city. There is no real need for me to have a data plan. But really, I resent Rogers and i'm boycotting their data plan. The thing is I still need a new iPod, and a phone, and I dont want to have multiples devices. I want to consolidate my digital life. Futhermore, as i'm a freelance director, I dont want to lug my MBP on every set, and since most production houses and studios have WIfi, I can still get all my eMails without the expensive Rogers data plan. I could afford the data plan, but I dont want Rogers to get any more money from me.

How is this different from "Disable Data Roaming" ? I was told that even if you block most of the data, the iPhone still connects to the net for it's small apps like «Weather» and «stock». so you still end up with a data bill. It's the best way to make sure there is absolutely NO data being transfered.

Deekat

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2008, 01:02 PM

Ok, so you don't want to connect to the provider in your home country.

I guess tooki's comment just sent me on the wrong track, assuming this was only about int'l travel.

-t

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 26, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeeKat View Post
I was told that even if you block most of the data, the iPhone still connects to the net for it's small apps like «Weather» and «stock».
Nope, "Disable Data Roaming" stops the iPhone from sending/receiving any data when you're roaming (I know from personal experience). There's no exception.

Edit: Unless, of course, you're connected via wifi, but then only the wifi connection will be used.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by superlarry View Post
Nope, "Disable Data Roaming" stops the iPhone from sending/receiving any data when you're roaming (I know from personal experience). There's no exception.
He's not roaming. He's at home.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2008, 06:14 PM

Mastrap: here in Canada were's stuck with Rogers expensive data plan, and Wifi is quite everywhere in my city. There is no real need for me to have a data plan. But really, I resent Rogers and i'm boycotting their data plan. The thing is I still need a new iPod, and a phone, and I dont want to have multiples devices. I want to consolidate my digital life. Futhermore, as i'm a freelance director, I dont want to lug my MBP on every set, and since most production houses and studios have WIfi, I can still get all my eMails without the expensive Rogers data plan. I could afford the data plan, but I dont want Rogers to get any more money from me.

I am in Canada as well (Toronto) and before I had the iPhone I had an iPod Touch. This might work for you, but I found it a huge pain having to hunt for an open network, asking people for their passwords to be able to log in etc. I work as a Creative Director, so like you I am often on sets. The data connection, for me, is worth every single cent.

I understand and share your dislike of Rogers but I think you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face here. Especially as you can write the cost of the connection off come tax time. Also, while I have the 6GB $30 plan, my actual usage is far, far lower. I could theoretically get away with $20 of data a month.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 03:43 AM

How is this different from "Disable Data Roaming" ? I was told that even if you block most of the data, the iPhone still connects to the net for it's small apps like «Weather» and «stock». so you still end up with a data bill. It's the best way to make sure there is absolutely NO data being transfered.
No, disabling data roaming does exactly that. It turns off all cellular data access while you're roaming. No app can access the cellular data network, not even Weather or Stocks. But obviously, it only works when you're roaming.

I guess I misunderstood what you're trying to do because of tooki's comment. I was quite surprised actually that Apple didn't include a switch to turn off data also when you're not roaming. You could select the non-3G network manually (instead of using automatic network selection), but I guess rather than turn data off it would just force it data over EDGE.

Forum Links
Forum Rules