Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Will I need to buy new apps for my iPad?

Will I need to buy new apps for my iPad?
flavoredair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2010, 04:55 PM

I'm a current iPhone owner and was wondering if anyone out there knew if the iPad would be able to share the apps I've already purchased for use on my iPhone or will I have to re-purchase the apps I want to have on my iPad?

Thanks for the info.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2010, 05:13 PM

Apple - iPad - App Store - 140,000 apps at your fingertips.

iPad will work with almost all of the apps designed for the iPhone. Just download them from the App Store. Or, if you already have apps for your iPhone or iPod touch, you can sync them to iPad from your Mac or PC. Then run them in their original size or expand them to fill the screen. And developers are working on new apps designed specifically for this amazing device and all the things it can do.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2010, 05:16 PM

Personally, I'm a little curious if pay apps will add iPad functionality, or release a separate version.

flavoredair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Or, if you already have apps for your iPhone or iPod touch, you can sync them to iPad from your Mac or PC.
The devil's in the details. I've read that twice and that part totally didn't register with me. Awesome. I'd hate to have to re-purchase an app like LogMeIn Ignition that was $30.00 (but well worth it for me since I work with several PC's and Mac's daily).

Thank you.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2010, 05:36 PM

From the wording, I'd assume it works like it does for my iPhone and iPod Touch. Both are attached to the same Apple account and can use both sync and app store to install the same apps without repurchase.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Personally, I'm a little curious if pay apps will add iPad functionality, or release a separate version.
I guarantee that MOST pay apps will release a separate, paid version of their apps for the iPad (there will of course be exceptions to this). However, if you don't want the added functionality/interface/optimized screen resolution of the iPad specific app, you certainly are free to continue using your iPhone version. Personally, for most apps I use on my iPhone, if an iPad version is released I will buy it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 12:29 PM

I agree, but I don't think it's what Steve was implying should happen. I think he wants apps to add iPad functionality the way applications that worked in 10.5 added 10.6 functionality.

Is it possible to charge for an upgrade on the app store?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I guarantee that MOST pay apps will release a separate, paid version of their apps for the iPad (there will of course be exceptions to this). However, if you don't want the added functionality/interface/optimized screen resolution of the iPad specific app, you certainly are free to continue using your iPhone version.
Would that actually work though, to utilize the extra screen real estate, if the developer doesn't update the app?

My guess is no, but I'm just guessing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Would that actually work though, to utilize the extra screen real estate, if the developer doesn't update the app?
He didn't say that.

And the answer is clearly "no". You need to change the app to take advantage of the higher resolution.

-t

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 11:02 AM

My guess is no, but I'm just guessing.
Turtle's right - I didn't say that. To answer your question, if an iPhone/iTouch app is NOT updated for the iPad, it will work at the same resolution as on the iPhone, i.e., it will have black borders all around it. OR, you can have the iPad double the size by pressing a button effectively making it full screen.

To utilize the extra screen real estate on the iPad natively, developers have to update their apps.

My guess is that this is the reason the iPad won't be available for 2 months - Apple wants to give developers a chance to update their apps so that the iPad App store has a lot of apps for download at launch.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 03:22 PM

No, I guess. Upgrades seem to be sold by versioning the app to a new major release, as in MyApp 2.0. As it's a separate sandbox, the new app can't access the data from the old app locally.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 05:01 PM

Now all Apple needs to do is somehow implement iPod touch/iPhone/iPad apps in Dashboard.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 05:25 PM

Now all Apple needs to do is somehow implement iPod touch/iPhone/iPad apps in Dashboard.
That would pure cash.

Imagine, people who don't own iPods / iPhones / iPads yet buying apps like games, just to play them on their Mac. Eventually, they'll want it to go. Boom. One more iPod / iPhone / iPad sale.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 05:35 PM

Rather earlier than later. And we know there's already an emulator in the SDK that runs on Intel Macs.
•

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2010, 10:34 PM

Here, here! That's just the medicine to revive Dashboard. I have a number of widgets that I use regularly, often daily, but I haven't seen or heard of anything 'new and exciting' in widgets lately. On the other hand, being able to run iPhone apps in Dashboard could rekindle interest in Dashboard and generate new widgets as well as Mac-oriented apps. Win, win, win.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Feb 7, 2010, 04:42 AM

This makes no sense. How do you simulate multitouch (maybe with MBP trackpad), accelerometer (maybe with the MBP motion sensor, though who's going to twist their laptop), etc. on a Mac, especially a desktop machine?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
This makes no sense. How do you simulate multitouch (maybe with MBP trackpad), accelerometer (maybe with the MBP motion sensor, though who's going to twist their laptop), etc. on a Mac, especially a desktop machine?
Good point.

Multitouch w/o a MBP trackpad will be a challenge.

However, most apps don't use multitouch, they could be easily maneuvered with a mouse.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 12:07 PM

Trackpad and Magic mouse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:24 PM

Trackpad and Magic mouse.
Ha, Magic Mouse, very good. I don't have one, so I didn't think about it.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
This makes no sense. How do you simulate multitouch (maybe with MBP trackpad), accelerometer (maybe with the MBP motion sensor, though who's going to twist their laptop), etc. on a Mac, especially a desktop machine
I figure if there are going to be multiple app types (iPad vs. iPhone) anyway, there may as well be a third version for Dashboard.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2010, 08:20 PM

Nowhere near all iPhone apps take advantage of all the internal capabilities of the device. That should mean that many apps could be run as is in a Dashboard-like environment, or at least after a minor tweak to be able to take advantage of the larger image area. Those that require that hardware would of course not work, but would you really want a compass or a level with your MacBook? How would you do the figure 8 maneuver to reset the compass?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2010, 06:24 PM

Pinching could be done with a scroll wheel, and Facebook on as a dashboard widget could be pretty sweet, as could a lot of the games. Not every app would translate well, but it would be nice to have a special dashboard option.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2010, 07:01 PM

I agree, but I don't think it's what Steve was implying should happen. I think he wants apps to add iPad functionality the way applications that worked in 10.5 added 10.6 functionality.

I dont know that it is, but certainly Apple has to have had requests for it. I will say though that they do already have free upgrades to apps you already own. Hopefully many of the developers will simply add iPad support to the apps they already sell.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules