Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > DeXtop presents Longhorn

DeXtop presents Longhorn
penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 09:16 PM

That's right, i'll make a mockup tomorrow

it'll look like in this screenshot:
http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/4015_051.png
*DeXtop GUI

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 09:20 PM

Looks kinda like the one you just made.

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 22, 2004, 09:40 PM

Gee penguinn, you sure are making it hard to guess your favorite color.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 09:50 PM

mock up of? i dont see anything to copy there...

esXXI
Senior User
Sep 22, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by penguinn:
That's right, i'll make a mockup tomorrow

it'll look like in this screenshot:
http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/4015_051.png
Eep, that's leaning heavily towards fugly for me..

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 10:21 PM

DeXtop presents the same damn theme idea again!

walk outside. think. come up with ideas. good ideas. come back inside. make a theme that doesn't look like all your other ones with a different color.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 10:28 PM

Nice, I cant wait!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 10:53 PM

I'm not sure what Longhorn looks like from this screenshot. Do you have a screenshot that includes some GUI, perhaps? I'm all for Longhorn theme no matter what it looks like.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
DeXtop presents the same damn theme idea again!

walk outside. think. come up with ideas. good ideas. come back inside. make a theme that doesn't look like all your other ones with a different color.
Agreed... It shows how dumb a windows user can be.

Dodgy77
Sep 22, 2004, 11:11 PM

And we would want the Longhorn look on our spiffy Macs because??

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 06:50 AM

When the guy in charge of windows UI was 5 years old, someone walked up to him with a .45 and shot his taste glad right out of him, at point blank range. They tried to put it back in but that was a miserable failure, so they transplanted it with the taste gland of a portuguese man o' war.

And you are proposing to bring the reason I hate pc's to my mac...begone foul demon, begone.

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 09:53 AM

Ugly.

Ugly, ugly ugly.

I wish people would stop sending traffic to that dick Paul Thurrot's website.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

JoE950
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 04:34 PM

wow. this is going to be quality!

i can tell

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 05:09 PM

<rant>
cmon guys .. no one is force-feeding you this new GUI. stop acting like privileged brats and do allow someone the freedom to develop something they like. you are more than free to ignore the offering - sans your childish comments.

yes, i have a PC and a mac at home.
yes, i probably love my mac just a bit more than my PC now!
yes, i think the PC GUI is no match for Aqua.

NO, i will not bash the PC GUI because believe it or not, it seems to work for an overwhelmingly high percentage of users.
</rant>

my .02

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
<rant>
cmon guys .. no one is force-feeding you this new GUI. stop acting like privileged brats and do allow someone the freedom to develop something they like. you are more than free to ignore the offering - sans your childish comments.
no one is forcing you to read our comments, so why do you feel the need to rant about them?

DigiHal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 06:39 PM

... holding my tongue ...

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 07:12 PM

I ranted about windows, which is completely in order I think

penguinn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
Gee penguinn, you sure are making it hard to guess your favorite color.
fav color is red actually
sorry i didn't have time for making the mockup today, i'll do it tomorro
no matter what anyone says about windows, i'm still making it....... try and stop me
*DeXtop GUI

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 08:36 PM

no matter what anyone says about windows, i'm still making it....... try and stop me
aquire ip address........................................... .............................100%
fire wall disabled.......................................... ...............................100%
deleting all files who's name includes windows...........................0.01%

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
wow. this is going to be quality!

i can tell
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
click one

penguinn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 09:35 PM

do you?
i made a mockup
*DeXtop GUI

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 09:50 PM

AAAAHH! WINDOZE! GET IT OFF ME!! GET IT OFF MEEE! AAAAAAHHH KILL IT! SMASH IT!!!! AAAAAHHH!! now I need to disinfect my computer to get rid off the disease that is windoze.

Looks like a good quality port of a windoze theme... but I hate windoze with a passion. Don't take it personally.

Good quality work! Terrible inspiration!
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 23, 2004 at 09:59 PM. )

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
<rant>NO, i will not bash the PC GUI because believe it or not, it seems to work for an overwhelmingly high percentage of users.
</rant>

Well of course it WORKS. We're talking about art here, not whether the great unwashed masses can survive without a decent looking computer screen. I work with a thousand M$ users and they have a hard enough time trying to figure out how to drag and drop a file into a folder without worrying about how their close widgets look. We are not acting like privileged brats here on this forum... we really are a higher level of computer aficionado than 90% of those who are abused by Window$ on a daily basis. Please don't let what's 'good enough' for most people be the standard we compare our themes to. We are trying to come up with better alternatives to Aqua, something that is already about 20 times nicer than the M$ system look.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 09:54 PM

Sure did a good job of capturing the repulsive look of the interface. True to the idea that's for sure. I really do hate it though, but nothing against you or your skills as a designer.
click one

penguinn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 09:59 PM

AAAAHH! WINDOZE! GET IT OFF ME!! GET IT OFF MEEE! AAAAAAHHH KILL IT! SMASH IT!!!! AAAAAHHH!! now I need to disinfect my computer to get rid off the disease that is windoze.

Looks like a good quality port of a windoze theme... but I hate windoze with a passion. Don't take it personally.

Good quality work! Terrible inspiration!
okay everyone, i made a new topic so that you can discuss how much you dislike windows and say funny things like Oh No My Eyes Are Stinging!

oh ... oh wait a minute! NO I DIDN't! how dumb of me

this is a topic that shows the development of this theme..... wanna argue about windows? go to http://xvsxp.com
*DeXtop GUI

mac15
Senior User
Sep 23, 2004, 11:25 PM

do you?
i made a mockup
You could use most of the elements from Max's Mac OS XP. Or pretty much mod it or something.

Ubbe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
You could use most of the elements from Max's Mac OS XP. Or pretty much mod it or something.
Max's xp theme is baded on the looks of windows xp, the one Androo is making is based on longhorn, completely different.
I do not think the graphics Max has in his theme will help him much.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 24, 2004, 02:39 AM

Got screenshots of it before you used the "Ugly Stick" filter in Photoshop?

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 06:41 AM

ARGGGHH! MY EYES, MY EYES ARE STINGING!!!1!

eDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 07:11 AM

Well, I for one am looking forward to seeing the finished theme!

Ice Spectre
Sep 24, 2004, 08:42 AM

I think everyone is just going a little overboard.

I think it looks very promising, and, like penguinn said: you can go and bash windoze somewhere else.

In terms of quality I think it is looking sweet, and as for the fact that it is windows, well, maybe it isn't usable for some, and you may call me lacking in artistic taste, but frankly, I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Sure, the software is a hunk of sh!t, but whats the matter with the GUI?

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 11:16 AM

exactly .. let us not confuse the software with the GUI wrapped around it. when i posted earlier about this working well for a lot of people, i was referring to the fact that the GUI obviously does not hinder them in their daily work (although the same cannot be said for the OS!)

please follow penguinn's advice and take the windows-bashing to a different thread. this thread belongs to penguinn and his efforts. comments like : "ARGGGHH! MY EYES, MY EYES ARE STINGING!!!" do absolutely nothing constructive.

i am sure penguinn will be more than happy to listen to criticism that provides some insight on how to improve the theme.

i too look forward to this release and thanks for the efforts taken so far.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 11:40 AM

please tell me your at least taking that windoze icon off the menu bar and placing an apple there instead...

not really my color, but it looks decent. i have seen a few themes people seem to love, which are oddly worse than this.

i say, make it.

Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 11:57 AM

On the general issue of Windows GUI I'd lake to make two points.

1) The GUI currently being touted as "Longhorn" is not what the real system is going to look like, there are currently several GUI designs being shipped as Longhorn alphas because the final probably hasn't even been decided yet seeing as it's still around two years off.

The point being if you like the design, good for you but it's not really a Longhorn look since Longhorn doesn't have a fixed look yet. Last I heard the plan was for Longhorn to have like eight different class of application with different UI. Source.

2) If anybody complaining in this thread likes, used or is waiting for an updated Watercolor then you're a hypocrite. Watercolor was the Windows XP ("Whistler") UI during it's development days. It was replaced by the hideous UI everyone is familiar with when ship time came. I thought Watercolor was nice, flat and square, but nice.

esXXI
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Ice Spectre:
I think everyone is just going a little overboard.

I think it looks very promising, and, like penguinn said: you can go and bash windoze somewhere else.

In terms of quality I think it is looking sweet, and as for the fact that it is windows, well, maybe it isn't usable for some, and you may call me lacking in artistic taste, but frankly, I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Sure, the software is a hunk of sh!t, but whats the matter with the GUI?
I'm sorry but even on just a quality level, it could use a lot of refinement.. At the moment it just looks like a rather lackluster attempt that could be done better. Sorry if that's sound rude, but I'd rather say it as I see it.

aManDrinksMilk
Sep 24, 2004, 03:17 PM

Hehe that XvsXP site

penguinn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
but that's not how I do it
this is going to be my theme entirely

and about how thats not what the longhorn system will look like in the end, i dont care I could just make an update

and remember what I said:
take the windows comments to xvsxp.com

I'm starting on this theme tonite
*DeXtop GUI

UNIX X11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 05:44 PM

What the hell is wrong with you people? Seriously, switch to decaf. "MY EYES ARE BURNING AHHH!!!"? Jesus Christ you people are all fanboys.

penguin, go for it. I'll be glad and honored to test it.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 07:16 PM

hehehe, you guys take stuff way to seriously, my post was a tongue in cheek poke at penguin who said, and I quote..."okay everyone, i made a new topic so that you can discuss how much you dislike windows and say funny things like Oh No My Eyes Are Stinging!"

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 07:20 PM

I'm starting on this theme tonite
go for it dude!

It's pretty unbelievable how ridiculous mac zealots can get ... 15 year old is way more mature than the rest of you creeps ... Don't ask again - just make your themes, and there'll be people who'll use them. And if not, at least you'll have fun and feel good about it
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 07:33 PM

I don't see the problem with making mac themes that are ports of Windows UI's. Max's OSXP is one of the best themes available (no matter what people say). I think a Longhorn theme would be pretty cool. And to tell the truth, I wouldn't mind having a really accurate and complete Win 98/2000 theme. I used to use the old Win 98 K-scheme with a desktop of the Death star, and a Vader sound set. It fit perfectly!

I say go for it. Win steals from Mac all the time, it's time we start stealing back.

crooner
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 10:18 PM

Andrew,
while I must admit I'd likely not use it, my obsessive/compulsive nature would still force me to download it and have it on my system.
This is especially so because your theme work is becoming so refined. Looking at your early themes and what you're churning out now shows a fantastic growth of a great themer.

So, in other words, go for it.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

JoE950
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 08:23 AM

what if you took longhorn, and actually made it look good? i mean why the xp radio buttons? it doesnt match.. they should be blue

i dont want to sound like an ass, but it seems that making a by the book longhorn theme (a theme of an unfinished gui that all the kings horses and all bill gates's men cant even decide on yet...) will probably be more boring than a loaf of bread. but of course anything you do will get used.. just like a cheap trick. USED haha! get it?

but seriously, if the current longhorn gui is that un-unified then fix it.. show up a huge corporation. that would kick ass would it not? it would definitely make up for the win logo in the menu bar..

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 11:31 AM

penguinn

Cool! I like how it is looking so far. I too hate windows, but I don't hate themes, and not making a theme just because someone else bitches about how they hate it would really suck. Keep up the good work!

I had a few suggestions:

1. The title-bar on the window seemed a little too light to me. Perhaps it should be darker like the menu bar?
2. Is the "Start" thing gonna replace the Apple Menu? Could you have an option to just have the logo, or just the Apple logo? Having the "Start" text would be too big, IMHO.
3. Those widgets look a little off, but I can't tell *why*.
4. Buttons also look a little off, but, again, I can't tell precisely *why*.

It does, however, look interesting. Perhaps once it looks exactly like Longhorn does, you could adjust it a little to work more with mac?
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

FB Eye
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 11:56 AM

penguinn,

I'm very happy that you're sticking to your ideas and not listening to the Mac Qaeda crowd

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2004, 07:51 PM

Hi,

As a recent switcher from OSX and Mac to WindowsXP and a so-called PC(even though a Mac is one aswell) - I have to say this; these OS-copied themes does not work on other platforms than the ones they are meant for,IMHO. I tried using an OSX style theme on WindowsXP and it totally fell through. The magic wasn't there at all!

Simply because you're stuck with an OS that is not consistent. You still have to deal with DLL's and shellstyles and numerous other things.

Even using a dock on my Windows based PC is a pain. I don't use one now because it feels out of place. So does the OSX-esque themes that appear for WindowsXP. I'm sure that the same goes for using Windows-esque themes on OSX!?

Enjoy your OS as it is. That's my new style.

But still, androo. Make your theme for your own enjoyment and no one elses.

Sorry if this post comes out sounding as if i'm a total moron.

Have a pleasant day y'all.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

penguinn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 09:02 PM

this theme is being postponed since I am working on WOOD2
*DeXtop GUI

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 09:11 PM

no one likes when you start a theme and stop.... there is no point in doing 4 at once just take it one at a time...

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 09:49 PM

I'm getting tired of theme mock-ups popping up everywhere with few actual themes being completed. The thrill and excitement that surrounds a mock-up probably makes themers feel great, but once it comes time to sit down and work a theme until completion, the excitement wears off.

I wish there would be no mock-ups; only beta versions of completed themes in need of tweaking.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect those themers that complete a theme, good or bad. i would try to theme myself except I have neither the time nor the skills.

I thank all themers out there for their hard work, but please, NO MORE MOCK-UPS

penguinn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
no one likes when you start a theme and stop.... there is no point in doing 4 at once just take it one at a time...
which is exactly what i am avoiding
i started WOOD2 a while ago and i kinda forgot about it... im not too good with remembering
*DeXtop GUI

Forum Links
Forum Rules