Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple Store and Tiger

Apple Store and Tiger
straegem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 05:22 PM

I was recently looking at the Apple Store web page near my home, and then looked at the calendar they have for each store, and noticed that they still show Mac OS Panther Workshops through the 27th of April. Do you think they show a month at a time, and since only Panther has been out they only put Panther Workshops, or do you think there could be a hint that Tiger won't be released until later?

Apple Store Workshops

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 5, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by straegem9:
I was recently looking at the Apple Store web page near my home, and then looked at the calendar they have for each store, and noticed that they still show Mac OS Panther Workshops through the 27th of April. Do you think they show a month at a time, and since only Panther has been out they only put Panther Workshops, or do you think there could be a hint that Tiger won't be released until later?

Apple Store Workshops
Not everyone gets Tiger the first day it's out, especially if their Macs are used to run a business. Panther is gonna be with us for quite some time.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 11:02 AM

This is true. At my company we're just finishing up our move to Panther. It will be a year or more until anyone here experiences Tiger.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
This is true. At my company we're just finishing up our move to Panther. It will be a year or more until anyone here experiences Tiger.
A year or more??? I can appreciate "waiting and seeing" but I don't see why you couldn't roll it out in say eight months...

Oh well...

Keda
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 12:16 PM

A year?! Wow, that conservative. I'm in charge of planning/migrating our Macs and I thought i was playing it safe by waiting until June.

The only machine that really lags behind the others is our video editor. There are so many parts working together that we need to take things very slowly.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 12:42 PM

Who is it that insists on torturing your employees?

Originally posted by jmatero:

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 12:49 PM

Why doesn't your company invest $500 into the developer program and test the releases before they are out? Or maybe think about firing whoever is in charge of Mac OS X there. That's just overly cautious. What are you running over there missle silos?

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
A year or more??? I can appreciate "waiting and seeing" but I don't see why you couldn't roll it out in say eight months...

Oh well...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 6, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
Why doesn't your company invest $500 into the developer program and test the releases before they are out? Or maybe think about firing whoever is in charge of Mac OS X there. That's just overly cautious. What are you running over there missle silos?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Panther is a very capable OS. And it's not as if Tiger is free either.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
This behavior is very typical of many companies. IT folks don't like surprises and tend to want to test the final OS release versions before any potential rollout. I worked for a company that wouldn't have deployed any new operating systems at all, except they were eventually forced to because the new machines they bought shipped with the new OS.

It costs money and potential downtime (meaning more money) to deploy. Many companies would rather not spend if what they have works well enough. Frustrating for early adopters.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 05:13 PM

We're buying some powermacs in June and assuming they have tiger on them we plan on wiping the drives and installing Panther. Too much of a pain to manage multiple OSes. The machines they're replacing are still OS9.

If things go well, we'll start rolling Tiger out around 10.4.3 or 10.4.4.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by GSixZero:
We're buying some powermacs in June and assuming they have tiger on them we plan on wiping the drives and installing Panther. Too much of a pain to manage multiple OSes. The machines they're replacing are still OS9.

Tiger and Panther aren't that different management wise. While 10.2 and 10.3 had much different methods of management, 10.4 is still pretty close. It's not a huge deal to manage more than one system. I manage both Jaguar and Panther systems here. 10.4 is already very stable, although I'm doing some work on some programs that broke under 10.4 (and Apple's isn't fixing what broke them most likely).

Also keep in mind that if you buy new Power Macs in June they may not run 10.3 if they are a new revision.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by goMac:

Also keep in mind that if you buy new Power Macs in June they may not run 10.3 if they are a new revision.
Quite likely..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 07:24 AM

assuming they have tiger on them we plan on wiping the drives and installing Panther.
eeehhhh......... wrong answer

New machines will not take an OS that is an ealier version than the one they shipped with
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

betoranaldi
Apr 7, 2005, 11:16 AM

This might be a problem, the the powermacs are updated and have new hardware and earlier version the the os might not work with them

Forum Links
Forum Rules