Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > problem with emac and window being too large

problem with emac and window being too large
debrakay1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 02:35 PM

When using a scheduling program on my emac, the application screen starting appearing too large for the emac screen so that the scrolling and corners are not accessible. I feel stupid asking, because there is probably an easy answer (I hope), but does anyone know how to fix this?

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by debrakay1 View Post
When using a scheduling program on my emac, the application screen starting appearing too large for the emac screen so that the scrolling and corners are not accessible. I feel stupid asking, because there is probably an easy answer (I hope), but does anyone know how to fix this?
Two suggestions:-

1. Increase your resolution if you have not already done so and can stand the lower refresh rate

2. What happens if you click on the green button at the top of the window?

What is the name of the application - could we download it to try it?

P
Jan 14, 2007, 02:09 PM

The correct way of doing it is reporting it as a bug to the manufacturer of the application, but that's probably not the answer you were looking for.

First, check that the resolution of your eMac isn't set to some stupidly low value, like 640*480. That can happen when using games. 1024*768 is probbaly the smallest it should be to work well. The eMac supports up to 1280*960, and most people seem to use that resolution. You set the resolution in the System Preferences application (under the Apple Menu) in OS X and in the Displays or Monitors control panel in OS 9 and below.

If the resolution is fine and it still won't work, you can fix it with Applescript. Open the application and make sure that the offending window is the one in front. Now open the Script Editor (it's in Applications/AppleScript in OS X - I think it's in the same place in OS 9, but search for it if you can't find it) and paste the following snippet of code into the window:

tell application "name of application"
activate
set bounds of front window to {0, 50, 400, 200}
end tell

(replace "name of application" with the actual name of your application, but keep it in quotes). Run the script. This will make the window much smaller, and you can grab the resize widget to make it the size you'd like it to be.

P
Jan 14, 2007, 02:10 PM

Oh, and by the way: It helps a lot if you're a little bit more specific when asking questions - which version of the operating system you are running, the name of the app that won't work, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules