Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > bunny here with a problem with her external hard drive, mini mac.. can you help?

bunny here with a problem with her external hard drive, mini mac.. can you help?
bunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 08:06 PM

Hello, my name is bunny and I am writing on behalf of a friend who has had a stroke of bad luck with respect to her Mini Mac 07, Mac OS X :brick: . My friend has lost all of her data in her external hard drive because it is not registering and or is not being detected. This particular problem has happend on another occassion. I, myself, am not very knowledgeable about PC's.. so please pardon me, however, i would really like to resolve this problem once and for all.. and at the same time become more knowledgeable!.

In short, is there anyone out there who is familiar with this sort of problem... if so, would you and could you please help me and my friend out???? I'd owe you big time!!

I thank you in advance for any and all help you can provide... bunny ;)

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2007, 10:18 PM

it sounds like the HD died, if so then there is no way to recover the data
Signature depreciated.

bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 10:47 PM

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my posting! It is much appreciated!

Respectfully,

MTC Bunny

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2007, 04:15 AM

Does the External harddrive spin up (can you hear it?, are there any lights?) - it may not be dead.

Is the external drive Firewire and USB? If so, have you tired disconnecting say the firewire connection and connecting instead with USB? (or the other way round)

Also have you tried doing a complete shutdown of the Mac Mini. Then remove the power for 30 seconds, reboot then try reconnecting the external drive?

Do you know how to check if the computer can 'see' it in the system profiler and/or disk utility? Have you tired reparing it with the disk utility.

Sorry if these seem rather basic and simple questions, there may still be hope you see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules