Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > logic board symptoms

logic board symptoms
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2012, 11:36 AM

i have two g3 ibook 600's. one has kernel panics after it has been on for a minute. is this what happens when the logic board goes bad? 10.4. thanks
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2012, 02:13 PM

It can be but not necessarily. Can you boot the panicky one in firewire target mode and read the panic logs using the other one? They often give a clue.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
i have two g3 ibook 600's. one has kernel panics after it has been on for a minute. is this what happens when the logic board goes bad? 10.4. thanks
Do you boot it with peripherals attached?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by euphras View Post
Do you boot it with peripherals attached?

no. i even removed the extra memory and airport card to see if those made any difference.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2012, 08:25 PM

this computer is doesn't give me an explanation, it simply goes black with the message "you need to restart your computer" in several languages. i think this will actually be an easy fix. just tear it down and sell (or try) some internal parts. the screen looks excellent and a combo drive is a nice option on these g3's. i wonder what else i can salvage? i'll keep the airport card for something else.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules