Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > audiobook format?

audiobook format?
b00tang
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 08:02 PM

I bought a few audio books in the somewhat old fashion way:
I went to the book store and bought them on cd.
I know I know, what a fool I was.
But is there really no way to convert them into the standard audiobook .aa format now?
it would just be nice to be able to take care of my ipods nice audiobook only features with them.
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:25 AM

Convert them to aac, just as you would do with a regular music CD and upload the track(s) to your iPod.

Then consider audible.com. The membership is good value for the money, imo, and it's dang quick and easy for downloads.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Convert them to aac, just as you would do with a regular music CD and upload the track(s) to your iPod.

Then consider audible.com. The membership is good value for the money, imo, and it's dang quick and easy for downloads.
But that won't have the auto bookmark feature where it automatically picks off where you left on the track between iTunes and your iPod even if you play other songs in between.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 08:17 AM

Make sure to rip them as AAC, then install this Make Bookmarkable script into iTunes. Select your audiobook and run this applescript on it. That will give you all of the features you want.

Chris

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Make sure to rip them as AAC, then install this Make Bookmarkable script into iTunes. Select your audiobook and run this applescript on it. That will give you all of the features you want.

Chris

Very nice, this I gotta get!

Thanks

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 02:58 AM

You definitely should look at www.audible.com (as stated above) if you're into books on tape... or in this case on iPod! A friend's dad has had this service for about a year now (using his 2g iPod i believe) and he absolutely loves it. It's not too expensive either, especially compared to purchasing the books on tape or cd.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 07:10 AM

The subscription is a good deal. It's a lot cheaper than buying individual books from Audible or the ITMS, plus you can get $100 off an iPod annually.

Chris

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 08:03 PM

Well I haven't had a chance to walk through all the steps yet but i found this:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=33491

and it is an extremely detailed forum topic on how to rip audiocd's. seems like it could be somewhat useful.

I just wonder what the audiobook format actually involves. is it rebranded AAC or something all its own? maybe no one knows yet.
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 10:48 AM

audible is nice and all, but it does not have everything. the make bookmarkable script is great.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 04:39 PM

Agreed. The make bookmarkable script is the most useful applescript I've ever had. I have a nice collection of This American Life recordings, and having them be bookmarkable saves me a lot of hassle.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules