Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Windows Media Player 9 Series for Mac?

Windows Media Player 9 Series for Mac?
Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 01:59 AM

There is little that I envy about PC users. Their machines often comprise a detrimantally eclectic mix of parts, coupled with an insecure, convoluted and unstable operating system. In GUI terms, those that do make an effort to smarten up the appearance of their desktop often, understandably, choose to ape OSX. Unfortunately for them, they will never acheive the simple and stable functionality of OSX.

But one thing is driving me crazy with envy: Windows Media Player 9 Series for XP's ability to use amazing skins such as this:

And others featured here.

Does anybody know, or even imagine in their wildest dreams, that we will ever see media app skins like this on OSX?

And I don't want to hear about Audion. I own it, have done for years. It doesn't come close to the functionality of WMP9series. Perhaps if it were an interface for iTunes, with fully skinned track listing, EQ and basic spectrum analyzer, we'd have something to compete. But it isn't, so we don't.
( Last edited by Ozzpot; Jul 31, 2004 at 03:13 AM. )
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 02:19 AM

I really doubt that the crap that is "Windows Media player 9 Series" for Mac will ever be near as good as the XP version or ever support skins... too bad too because there are some really nice skins.
click one

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 02:56 AM

Just to clarify, it's only the skins aspect I am interested in. They are just so beautiful. Like I say, if Audion had all the same features, and integrated with iTunes playlists much, much better, that would be great.

Maybe iTunes 8 or 9 will be like this.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Just to clarify, it's only the skins aspect I am interested in. They are just so beautiful. Like I say, if Audion had all the same features, and integrated with iTunes playlists much, much better, that would be great.

Maybe iTunes 8 or 9 will be like this.
Ya, I do think we've both mentioned the need for skinable apps before. lol Audion sucks as it is, (can't stand it's playlists, and lack of AAC support), but if it could interface right into the iTunes library and have a few more options with it's skins it would really kick some ass.
click one

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 05:34 AM

The way that Apple and Microsofts relationsship is at the moment, we can only hope that they will bring some more flexability(in skin terms) into WMP9 for Mac. Or maybe Apple will make iTunes more acceptable to free-form skins, although unlikely - I can't tell you why but I have a feeling that Apple just will not do that.

And what is it with Panic these days in regards to Audion? I bought it because of the skins basically- mostly because of Y5.2 by Sascha H�hne And Panic wont even say a thing about Audion!? I have sent them a nice e-mail asking about Audion and saying to them that they might aswell crawl to the cross and say that the Audion-project has been terminated. No answer. I named the e-mail "Audion Love Letter" since that's what they would like.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 06:08 AM

whee! that skin looks pretty decent.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:

Does anybody know, or even imagine in their wildest dreams, that we will ever see media app skins like this on OSX?

Can anyone explain exactly why it's not possible now? (Nothing is "impossible".)

Why would it be harder to do something like that with an OS X app than with Windows Media Player?

(I'm no more than a novice at this modding stuff, so if that was a stupid question & you feel you must mock me for it, please bite me.)
( Last edited by Banghazi; Jul 31, 2004 at 03:09 PM. )

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 08:24 AM

I think Dashboard will change all of this, with the advent of the dashboard mini remote, you can see that apple is opening up events to itunes. Bring Tiger, give nice skins.

On the other hand, we can bash BBX some more and make sure we never ever get those cool skins

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
Why would it be harder to do something like that with an OS X app than with Windows Media Player?
No OS X apps support skinning anywhere near WiMP. I don't think dashboard will help because you need to know how to code DHTML as well as be an amazing graphics artist to pull off skins like that in dashboard. We'd need to get something like the skins factory set up where we have a bunch of coders bringing BBX's art to life...

http://www.theskinsfactory.com/skins...folio&type=wmp
( Last edited by Frisbee; Jul 31, 2004 at 09:28 AM. )

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 02:58 PM

Man oh man, William Bart CAN deliver. That AlienWare skin is off the hook! I'm buying a WindowsPC! :shiver:
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 04:06 PM

I would buy an Alienware laptop for that skin...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 04:42 PM

I don't want Windows Media Player anyway, iTunes kicks it's ass as far as functionality and playlists. Ya, go Dashboard! Only problem I have with dashboard is that you can't have one or two "gadgets" stay on your desktop, you have to use it like expos�... But Konfab and Dashboard is were it's at. Omega iTunes.widget
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules