Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need B-I-G help with Tiger -- thanks.

Need B-I-G help with Tiger -- thanks.
dmag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 07:36 AM

Hi,

I tried a search but none of what I'm after showed up. Hoping you can help or direct me to the information.

I just upgraded to Tiger and now have 10.4.2 installed, but with significant problems.

1. Migration Assistant doesn't work. The little icon just spins (I let it go a half-hour the last time I tried it) and nothing happens when it goes after my user files and apps (etc.) on another partition on the same drive (which is formatted with 10.3.9 if that matters). I've repaired permissions all around and it hasn't helped. So, I can't import my settings, etc., nor apps.

2. I tried to use the import function in Mail. As others have surely discovered it brings in the mailboxes, but not the messages.

I'm sure others have listed these issues before, so I'll be happy for a pointer on where to find answers if nobody wants to get specific in their answers. Looks like a great forum. Thanks.

TiggerToo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 07:41 AM

Try trashing the prefs on the Migration thing to see if that helps.

Only ever used the Migration gizmo at boot from a new install so not sure if the differing OS version would cause an issue.

Mail import has a habit of putting old email in an "archived" mail box after import instead of just in the Inbox where you would expect it to be. Look for a new mailbox folder in the left column.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 07:46 AM

Try just replacing the new ~/Library/Mail folder with the one from your 10.3.9 partition. Mail should throw up a dialog about updating previous version of Mail when you launch it after this. Worked okay for me.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 09:53 AM

Do you have DIlo installed on the 10.3.9 partition maybe? Some versions of Dilo contain an alias to itself which caused Migration Assistant to hang in an infinite loop. It caused also a "maximum folder depth exceeded" error when trying to repair the disk. If you get that when you repair your 10.3.9 partition it's likely the reason.

dmag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Do you have DIlo installed on the 10.3.9 partition maybe? Some versions of Dilo contain an alias to itself which caused Migration Assistant to hang in an infinite loop. It caused also a "maximum folder depth exceeded" error when trying to repair the disk. If you get that when you repair your 10.3.9 partition it's likely the reason.

No, no Dilo installed. I was sure hoping I did, because the infinite loop is what it seemed to be in. Thanks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 11:53 AM

I would try repairing the 10.3.9 partition anyway and if you get the "maximum folder depth exceeded" error message you have something else with an alias to itself. It doesn't harm to check even if that's not the cause.

Forum Links
Forum Rules