Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dead pixels on iMac 24"???

Dead pixels on iMac 24"???
whoopsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2006, 12:54 PM

Anyone got dead/stuck pixels on their 24" iMacs?

I've had my 24" for about 2 weeks now and found out that I have 3 stuck pixels (2 reds and 1 bright green) and 1 dead (black on white background).

Tried to rub them off and used different software, still stuck.

I guess I'll have to give apple a call.
BTW, my iMac was BTO

Anyone else contact apple about replacing/fixing their iMac?
( Last edited by whoopsy; Sep 30, 2006 at 01:38 PM. )

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 04:00 PM

If I had even a single dead pixel on any mac with a built in screen I would raise hell with Apple until I had one that was perfect. Take nothing less then perfection with your $2000+ iMac!
iMac G4 / Macbook

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 06:54 PM

I'd say not to accept that - 1 or 2, maybe, but I don't have a single one on my 24", so why should you pay the same for worse?

On a seperate note, I think I can see a little bit of banding on my display - I'll post a seperate thread about it.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Bakerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2006, 07:31 PM

No dead pixels and no banding here.
Bakerman
24" iMac

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2006, 09:58 PM

I've said this in a couple other related threads, but I wouldn't buy anything with a screen from Apple (yours is BTO so you may have had to). I bought a G4 iMac from the Apple Store and had two dead pixels. I boxed it up and returned it for an exchange, only to be told they wouldn't exchange it. I got on my cell phone in front of the salesperson and called Microcenter and asked what their policy was about returning a computer that had a dead pixel. The guy said they'd exchange it as long as I had my receipt and was withing the return period.

So I got my money back from Apple (less a 10-15% restock fee) and went to Microcenter to buy the iMac. Apple even says so in a disclaimer on their website that they won't guarantee a display to be perfect, that they allow for some pixel anomolies. I do feel that if I'm going to be laying down some serious cash for an iMac (or a Cinema Display), it had better be what I expect.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Drew
Oct 1, 2006, 05:00 PM

I have a 17" imac core 2 duo 1.83 ghz, and i have a white pixel, and i don't know how to get rid of it.

whoopsy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2006, 05:42 PM

Update:

So I called the apple care people and was told to go to an apple store to have it checked. So I drove almost an hour to the nearest apple store just to be told by the "genius" there that they can't do anything about it since it is BTO and that the rep on the phone should have known that already and not send me to the apple store. So far not very impressed with apple support.

So I called back apple care (from the apple store) and complained to the tier1 guy about them screwing up and sending me to the apple store; got transferred to tier 2 and got the BS speech about it being acceptable by apple. Bitched some more about it and was told to contact customer relation on Monday.

So stay tune for another update on Monday.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 06:08 PM

mine has a green stuck pixel.
I only see it when the screen is totally black.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 09:55 PM

just found another one
about an inch above the other one

auero
Oct 5, 2006, 06:27 PM

*sigh* my biggest fear

PLin
Oct 6, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by whoopsy
Anyone got dead/stuck pixels on their 24" iMacs?

I've had my 24" for about 2 weeks now and found out that I have 3 stuck pixels (2 reds and 1 bright green) and 1 dead (black on white background).

Tried to rub them off and used different software, still stuck.

I guess I'll have to give apple a call.
BTW, my iMac was BTO

Anyone else contact apple about replacing/fixing their iMac?
I just got my 24-inch iMac today. I also customized it (upgraded video to 7600GT). On a black background, I have about 6 red pixels, 7 green pixels, and 3 blue pixels. Some are brighter than others. I called AppleCare, and the tier 1 rep made me wait on hold for almost 20 minutes just to come back and tell me that any LCD pixel problems can't be addressed over the phone and that an Apple Authorized Service Provider has to look at it. Apparently, an authorized technician needs to verify the bad pixels, so customers don't try to lie about the number of bad pixels they really have.

I took the iMac to the Apple Store, and the Mac Genius found about 10 bad subpixels and agreed that it qualified for replacement. He told me that he could order a replacement LCD for it, or I could call telesales to have the entire unit exchanged. After he checked the parts database and discovered that the replacement display was not readily available, I decided to take the second route. He gave me a case number to refer to when calling Apple.

He did mention that if it hadn't been a customized unit, he could have exchanged it right at the store, since I bought it from Apple online.

auero
Oct 6, 2006, 10:14 PM

I wish I didn't have to customize my iMac but I have no choice to. Hopefully I'll have luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules