Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD burning on my eMac

DVD burning on my eMac
MacinMA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 08:05 AM

I recently got an eMac G4, this replaces my old blueberry G3 so I feel I have stepped up a bit. The problem is I want to burn DVD's but this eMac cant, it only has a combo drive. My question is very simple, Can I go buy an external DVD burner and use it with my mac? I had an external CD burner with my old mac and that all worked fine. I ask because iDVD mentions that I can't burn any DVD's with out an Apple Super Drive. Do I really need a specific Apple drive? I cant imagine that Apple would not support any other externals. Any help will be appreciated. I have some huge movie files that I need to burn off but don't want to go buying an external drive that isnt going to be compatible.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2007, 10:40 AM

I remember this came up some time ago and there is a workaround, BUT I cannot remember where I read it.

Sorry if this seems a stupid post, I suspect you will have to do a fair bit of searching and reading, but try googling 'iDVD with external drive' or similar - I think there was an easter egg or something which made it possible.

HTIU

ibook_steve
Feb 13, 2007, 02:33 PM

It depends upon what version of iDVD you are running. I don't recall what was the last version that prevented burning to external drives, but at least '05 and '06 let you burn externally.

Stve

MacinMA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 10:29 PM

Ok, aside from using iDVD, what if I wnt to burn a pre-authored Video_TS file and burn it with Toast, can an external drive be used? I'm acually quite disapointed that I'm even having to research this becuase I'm a firm believer in eveerything about Macs and the fact that everything "just works", I just need to know do any of you own an eMac with an external DVD burner, and does it work. Please reply if you do.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 10:45 PM

MacinMA, that version of iDVD is outdated. Just get a newer version of it. iLife '06 is only $60 with educational discount and along with the newest version of iDVD you'll get the latest iMovie as well. It's worth it. I have an eMac as well (1GHz.) and these are running just fine on my Mac. I bet an external drive would be even faster at burning as well.

Alternatively, if iDVD gives you an option to save as disk image, you might want to try doing that and then burning it via Toast or Disk Utility.

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by MacinMA View Post
Ok, aside from using iDVD, what if I wnt to burn a pre-authored Video_TS file and burn it with Toast, can an external drive be used? I'm acually quite disapointed that I'm even having to research this becuase I'm a firm believer in eveerything about Macs and the fact that everything "just works", I just need to know do any of you own an eMac with an external DVD burner, and does it work. Please reply if you do.
Of course that would work. The only restriction on external drives was old versions of iDVD.

Steve

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 10:57 PM

MacinMA, I just confirmed that saving it to a disk image and then burning it via Disk utility will work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules