Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Finance your mac

Finance your mac
lostjamie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 04:02 PM

Hey,

My friend is wondering whether or not to buy a mac after seeing my iMac 24" however he doesn't have the £2000+ i paid for it. So i suggested to him to check out the finance option from MBNA that apple associates with. So he did.

He's going to do it but he's really desperate to get a hold of one and is getting more desperate he'll go stick it on his credit card down at the local apple retail shop.

So, from getting the loan approved on the phone and signing the papers, from then on how long do you think it'll take for MBNA to inform Apple of the approved papers and then start building the iMac? Has anyone had finance before? It's not something i've done myself so i need some reliable advice from anyone who has.

Would you say 2 weeks is more than enough time? Do you think it'll be here within the 2 weeks? (Bearing in mind theres a 3 day build time).

I'd appreciate any feedback onthis.

Warm regards,
Jamie
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2007, 06:48 AM

Sorry to be negative but my advice is do not buy it on credit unless it is a really short period like 3 months.

Just my opinion, better to get a part time job to bring in some (extra) money and work for it. While he is working he will not be able to spend so the money should build up quicker (OK a bit simplistic but was true for me once on my lowest paid/longest hours job when I saved most)

Good luck though with the decision.

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 06:55 AM

He's decided to go for it and is about to make the purchase. I gave him advice that if he could afford the re payments and didnt mind about the interest then go for it unless wait until he has all the money but he doesnt and he needs it really quick for his work and his own business he's wanting to start.

Thanks Will
Browsing on a 24" iMac with 3GB of RAM and a super duper fast processor and lots of goodies :)

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2007, 07:00 AM

Fair enough - hope his business goes well.

lostjamie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 07:06 AM

Yeah i said that it probably wouldn't be in his best interests to go with the credit from Apple/MBNA service but he did, and i showed him your post just a few moments ago and he's still going to be doing it.

Oh well, cheers Will

Forum Links
Forum Rules