Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 06:47 AM

Apple - Trailers - The Golden Compass - Final Trailer

Based on this book. Amazing book.

Anyone seen it? I'm seeing it later today. Apparently they've totally bastardized it. :/
we don't have time to stop for gas

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Based on this book. Amazing book.

Anyone seen it? I'm seeing it later today. Apparently they've totally bastardized it. :/
Are you surprised?

People complained about the da vinci code because it adhered to closely to the book. You just cannot incorporate the subtleties of a novel into a movie. Especially when a director may want to change some elements to make it more view acceptable (by his interpretation)

Railroader
Banned
Dec 6, 2007, 08:50 AM

From what I have heard, some atheists are using this as a tool. snopes agrees: Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 08:54 AM

The books are very anti-organized religion, and the film does cut some of that back.

The main problem with the film in comparison to the books is simply that it's pretty dull. the pacing is all over the shop and they missed out a vital bit at the end. Shame really.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 08:56 AM

I just read the book and am half way through the second in the series. I was curious about the uproar from some conservative groups about the movie. Once again, criticism is working as a publicity tool.

Looking forward to seeing the movie, however. The previews look pretty cool.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 09:01 AM

The books promote atheism in the same way that the Narnia books promote Christianity. I love most of the Narnia books and I'm not a Christian - I didn't find them an attempt to "undermine" my beliefs, just as I don't think the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy tries to undermine Christians beliefs. So everyone should get over it and enjoy them for what they are - really great stories for children.

But I still thought the film pretty much sucked.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
From what I have heard, some atheists are using this as a tool. snopes agrees: Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass
You mean in the same way that some Christians use the Chronicles of Narnia as a tool?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 09:33 AM

I read that the author of the book is an avowed atheist who supposedly used the book as a vehicle to raise up atheism and push down organized religion.

Since I've not read the book (and do not plan to do so) I really cannot say if those reports are true or not. Just word on the street type of stuff.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
You mean in the same way that some Christians use the Chronicles of Narnia as a tool?
And your point is what???

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
And your point is what???
What's good for the goose...

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 10:22 AM

The Narnia books do nothing to undermine atheism, yet Pullman's books blatantly attempt to undermine Christianity -- not just belief in God or a god, but Christianity specifically.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 10:34 AM

At the risk of getting flamed by both sides, I'd consider the latter the lesser of two evils.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
What's good for the goose...
Yeah but if you read this thread you'll see that no one is condeming the book or the author for his stance. RR was just noting this, that's all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
The Narnia books do nothing to undermine atheism, yet Pullman's books blatantly attempt to undermine Christianity -- not just belief in God or a god, but Christianity specifically.
I would argue that the promotion of any organized religion directly undermines atheism.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:24 AM

Pullman's digs at Christianity can, in no way, be compared to the tone of Lewis' Narnia books. Any attempt to say that what Narnia is to Atheism equals what Dark Material is to Christianity is completely ludicrous.

People don't read Narnia and rush to their local Christian church to get saved. Lewis' motivation for writing the books had nothing to do with conversion or anything like that -- anyone that knows the history of the books knows that.

Conversely, Pullman purposefully attacks Christianity -- not Islam, Hinduism, Mormanism, B'hai, or any other religion. He has stated for years that he hates Lewis and his faith, and that was the sole purpose of writing this trilogy: to cause people to question Christianity.

Should he be allowed to do that? Sure, I don't want to censor him. BUT, let's call a spade a spade and quit making excuses: he hates Christianity, Christians, and he wants to destroy the Faith he hates so much.

My question, though, is why doesn't he go after Islam? Why doesn't he attack other faiths?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:25 AM

I don't really understand how you came to that conclusion. I bought, and read, the books specifically because I wanted to know what all the upset is about. The only thing that is being attacked is a quasi-religious structure that is rigid and unbending. If you equate God=Love then the book is actually in defence of God.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:30 AM

My question, though, is why doesn't he go after Islam? Why doesn't he attack other faiths?
He's probably writing about something he has direct experience with, which probably isn't the case with Islam or other faiths.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I don't really understand how you came to that conclusion. I bought, and read, the books specifically because I wanted to know what all the upset is about. The only thing that is being attacked is a quasi-religious structure that is rigid and unbending. If you equate God=Love then the book is actually in defence of God.
You read all 3 and didn't get it? Even Pullman describes how he went about doing so, and has for all these years?

For fear of spoiling things, we find out that "God" -- who is called The Almighty, Anodai, and God in the book, and who directly represents who we (some of us) call God -- is really just the first angel, and the one who created Dust. This angel was power hungry, greedy, and Heaven was nothing more than his playground in the sky. The characters pretty much kill "god" -- the "God" so many committed their lives to. They were able to do so because "He" really wasn't who "He" claimed to be, etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, it's funny how so many of you are "defending" Pullman when he, himself, openly talks about his books' purpose being to undermine Christianity.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:38 AM

I think that you're mistaking a comment on organized religion (and Catholicism in particular) with an attack on Christianity. If Pullman is attacking anything then it is the manifestation that man has given to God, not God itself. The fact that the first angel is nothing but an impostor with human foibles and failings is more than just a hint.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 11:44 AM

It's all a moot point to me. I heard the movie is too pitiful to watch anyways.

A challenge: name one movie which was either as good or better than the book it was based on.

I'll be waiting.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:47 AM

Fight Club.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 6, 2007, 11:51 AM

It's called conviction.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Fight Club.
Eeeeeehhhh...

You're stretching it, even though the movie was great.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Eeeeeehhhh...

You're stretching it, even though the movie was great.
I dunno, what did you miss in the movie that was in the book?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 11:54 AM

Pullman's digs at Christianity can, in no way, be compared to the tone of Lewis' Narnia books. Any attempt to say that what Narnia is to Atheism equals what Dark Material is to Christianity is completely ludicrous.

People don't read Narnia and rush to their local Christian church to get saved. Lewis' motivation for writing the books had nothing to do with conversion or anything like that -- anyone that knows the history of the books knows that.
Are you kidding me? The Cliff's Notes version of the series could read, "ASLAN IS JESUS. YOU SHOULD TRUST YOUR LIFE TO HIM." I mean, the first book practically copied and pasted the damn crucifixion. And that's fine by me, because that is the view Lewis believed in.

But honestly, after reading Pullman's description of how "This is a story about killing God," I was surprised by how little the His Dark Materials books actually attacked God. The books are remarkably civil to theism. I'll put it in spoiler tags for anybody who doesn't want to know:

Anyway, I saw the movie. It comes so close to being good, but they cut it way too much. I don't mean they cut too much from the book — the movie feels like they cut about an hour from it. There's one scene where Lyra is about to go someplace, and then the very next scene she's complaining about how long she's been there and how awful it's been. It gave me whiplash, like, "Wait, what the ****? You just got there!" We're not really given time to connect with the story or characters. And they raped the ending in a way that will not only piss off fans of the book, but will look stupid if they ever get to make the next movie. All so they can have a big LOTR-style battle and a "happy ending."

It's a shame, because I've been looking forward to this movie for quite some time. EW described early cuts as being like Pan's Labyrinth, which was awesome. But that wasn't the movie I saw.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 6, 2007 at 12:34 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 12:46 PM

A challenge: name one movie which was either as good or better than the book it was based on.

I'll be waiting.
I thought that the movie Everything is Illuminated was (slightly) better than the (still incredibly good) book.

Not a movie, but I think the TV Series Dexter is vastly better than the books.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 12:48 PM

I'll be waiting.
The Princess Bride. What do I win?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 12:55 PM

I've never seen Everything is Illuminated, or read the book. I guess I have a project for the weekend.

Dakar, I only read Fight Club after I saw the movie. I didn't even know about the novel until after I'd seen the movie about three times. The book never made me say, "Now that's how the movie should've done it," but there's just this feeling I get from reading it that feels a bit thinner in the movie. Like I said, the movie is amazing (one of the best from the 90's), but I still give the novel a bit of an edge, but that's probably more of a personal position on this one.

The distinction between the two is a LOT less evident than say, Lonesome Dove, The Stand, or any John Grisham novel. And yes, I'm aware the first two were TV miniseries.

This just made me think of another great book-to-move: The Count of Monte Cristo. Still not as good as the classic, over course, but a great movie.

The Shining comes to mind as well.

Dangit...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 12:56 PM

The first two books were pretty good, the third sucked. It read like he'd knocked it out to a deadline and just run out of ideas.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The Princess Bride. What do I win?
Oh my dear god...you're right.

Someone came up with a good answer? INCONTHEIVABLE!!!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 12:58 PM

Dakar, I only read Fight Club after I saw the movie. I didn't even know about the novel until after I'd seen the movie about three times. The book never made me say, "Now that's how the movie should've done it," but there's just this feeling I get from reading it that feels a bit thinner in the movie. Like I said, the movie is amazing (one of the best from the 90's), but I still give the novel a bit of an edge, but that's probably more of a personal position on this one.
I read it after the movie as well. But let's face it. You didn't expect the quality of answer I gave you.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 12:59 PM

The Silmarilion?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I read it after the movie as well. But let's face it. You didn't expect the quality of answer I gave you.
You're right. Not even close.
Don't gloat too long.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:02 PM

Well, I'm done gloating. What's next on my checklist for today?

Edit: I wrote that before checking for white text.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Are you surprised?

People complained about the da vinci code because it adhered to closely to the book. You just cannot incorporate the subtleties of a novel into a movie. Especially when a director may want to change some elements to make it more view acceptable (by his interpretation)

"Too closely to the book". There is more than one kind of "to", just FYI...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 6, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
"Too closely to the book". There is more than one kind of "to", just FYI...
If you're planning on correcting all of MacosNerd's grammatical and spelling errors, you're a braver man than I.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
If you're planning on correcting all of MacosNerd's grammatical and spelling errors, you're a braver man than I.
Well, the fact that he had both versions of to/too in the same sentence made it seem apparent to me that he doesn't understand that there is a difference and that these two versions are used for different purposes, so I was trying to be constructive... Hopefully he won't explode all over my ass.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Hopefully he won't explode all over my ass.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 01:50 PM

Religion was invented as a tool to control people and resources. While there's an underlying need for humans to want to believe there's something after you die, that belief is completely exploited by organized religions. I think this movie and the books it's based on send a very good message. It's not attacking God or the belief in a god, it's attacking those who would exploit that belief. Perhaps most importantly, it attacks the idea that you have to have religion to know the difference between right and wrong.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The Silmarilion?
Huh ? I read the book, but I have never heard of the movie.

-t

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2007, 01:55 PM

There will be no ass-exploding in this thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
There will be no ass-exploding in this thread.
I see nothing in the Offical MacNN Posting Guidelines™ that pertains to explosions involving asses, so MacOSNerd would be well within his rights to explode on my ass.

Just sayin'

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 02:04 PM

Anyway, it's funny how so many of you are "defending" Pullman when he, himself, openly talks about his books' purpose being to undermine Christianity.
Thank you for recommending his books to me. Anything that pisses you off so much must have hit pretty close to the mark.

Christianity (and religion in general) deserves a critical reevaluation. Novels for young people are an excellent method to do so.

Incidentally, the best books to recommend are in the New Testament itself. I just reread Acts over the weekend. What a fantasy novel. Besides switching back and forth from first-person to third-person perspective (indicating a redaction of multiple authors), Paul gives three completely inconsistent accounts of his encounter with Jesus. And the Jewish leaders all over Asia Minor, Greece, and the Holy Land are presented as bloodthirsty oppressors.

At least there are no talking snakes or donkeys.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 02:27 PM

Good for you, but your comment had nothing whatsoever to do with mine. AGAIN (let's take this slowly)...

1. Pullman writes his series as the antithesis to Lewis' works.

2. Pullman states, and always has stated, that his desire is to undermine Christianity with the writing of these books.

3. Most of you people say that's not what the books mean, how they come across, or that you don't see that in them.

4. Pullman reiterates over and over that that was his sole intent in writing them.

5. People repeat Step 3, totally ignoring Steps 1, 2, and 4.

Again, my point is that he's fixated on Christianity, as many of you are, and committed to it's reduction. Saying that's not the books' intent is WRONG simply because the AUTHOR OF SAID BOOKS says that's his intent with them.

As a Christian, I couldn't care less what he writes. People have been bashing my Faith for centuries, and will continue to do so -- and my Faith will remain standing, like it always has. What bugs me is how all you Christ-Haters start the circle jerks when the Christianity-Bashing begins...

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 02:55 PM

I'll be waiting.
Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1927 obscure novel
The Shining Stephen King's novella is reinvented brilliantly
Casablanca an unproduced play called "Everybody Comes to Rick's."
Vertigo is from a French potboiler called Sueurs froides: d'entre les morts (Cold Sweat: From Among the Dead)
Blade Runner surpasses Dick's "Android" story
Bergman's The Virgin Spring boldy and extraordinarily reworks the medieval tale on which it's based
The Bridge on the River Kwai surpasses, I imagine, Le Pont de la Rivière Kwaï

one could go on and on

Railroader
Banned
Dec 6, 2007, 03:03 PM

Good for you, but your comment had nothing whatsoever to do with mine. AGAIN (let's take this slowly)...

2. Pullman states, and always has stated, that his desire is to undermine Christianity with the writing of these books.

3. Most of you people say that's not what the books mean, how they come across, or that you don't see that in them.

4. Pullman reiterates over and over that that was his sole intent in writing them.

Again, my point is that he's fixated on Christianity, as many of you are, and committed to it's reduction. Saying that's not the books' intent is WRONG simply because the AUTHOR OF SAID BOOKS says that's his intent with them.

As a Christian, I couldn't care less what he writes. People have been bashing my Faith for centuries, and will continue to do so -- and my Faith will remain standing, like it always has. What bugs me is how all you Christ-Haters start the circle jerks when the Christianity-Bashing begins...
Very well and clearly stated.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Very well and clearly stated.
Very well and briefly critiqued.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 03:16 PM

And the first reference to athiesm/religion in this thread goes to... the Christians. So much for not caring less.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 03:22 PM

Personally, I'm not denying that Pullman's novels are a criticism of Christianity (apparently, the Catholic church specifically). I also have no problems with that; not because I have anything against Christianity (far from it) but because I feel any dogmatic structure should be subject to criticism.

I just find it funny that the same people who use the Narnia stories to promote Christianity appear to be the ones who are most opposed to Pullman's stories. I liked the Narnia stories, but if Pullman's stories are designed as a tool to influence Christians to atheism, than Narnia is most certainly designed as a tool to influence atheists to Christianity.

And, as a gnostic, I can sympathize with you on having your faith bashed for centuries. Gnosticism has been getting bashed for longer than Christianity has existed.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Nah he's just being petty. I expect that from him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules