Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > what am i friggen nuts? (dvd-rw)

what am i friggen nuts? (dvd-rw)
b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 12:07 AM

Ok, bought my new G4 Imac 17 in, it should be shipping eventually, thats cool... its got a super drive, how nice, i can burn dvds.... errr, dvd-rw?
I can't figure out apples web page right now... the front page lists the features of the new 17 " imac as:
SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-RW)
RW?
if you click on the image it brings you to the imac page, there it says: ...the ferociously fast NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics processing unit, the SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW), a huge 80GB hard ...
notice the change? DVD-R instead of RW?
oh i would love a DVD-RW, I use CD-RW constantly and hate having to burn a cd that I know i can never change (im cheap)... could this all be a good dream?
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2002, 12:44 AM

It's not really a change-

The superdrive has always supported dvd-r and dvd-rw.

It's only that they've now decided to publicize that fact.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 04:59 PM

vmarks:

If you go to the Tech Specs section of Apple's iMac site, though, the optical drive is only listed as being a DVD-R drive. They're not helping their case much!

If DVD-RW support is there at all, Apple may be shy about pointing it out. I'm more inclined to believe that the Superdrive only supports DVD-R at the moment.

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 06:34 PM

thats what i was thinking, it clearly says dvd-r/ cd-rw in many places and the only place that mentions DVD-rw is on that front page... does anyone with a superdrive know if the current ones burn dvdrw?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2002, 06:53 PM

My Dual-800 w/SuperDrive can burn DVD-RWs. I'm sure the iMac can as well.

[edit] The above should have read: I have burned DVD-RWs with my girlfriend's dual-800. When I'm allowed to use it
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 08:55 PM

lol, thank you, thats all the clarification I need... now I'm just left to wonder why Apple feels its a bad thing to inclue that extra W after DVD-R in its tech specs... but thats not nearly as important to me as is wether the device will do what I want it to. And let me neardily admit that I only wish my girlfriend was a mac user with a fat machine she could let me use (damn pc users got her before i could)

twieland
Aug 6, 2002, 10:59 AM

Could be because some "iApps" don't support DVD-RW (particularly iDVD). If you use iMovie to create a movie, then try to burn it to a DVD-RW with iDVD, iDVD doesn't recognize the DVD-RW. I have found a workaround for this:

When iDVD asks for a DVD-R, place a blank DVD-R in the drive and close the door. As soon as iDVD starts it's encoding cycle, eject the DVD-R and insert a new blank (or erased) DVD-RW, and iDVD will write to it just fine.

I frequently burn movies in progress to DVD-RW to see how they look on a television before committing to a final burn on DVD-R.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2002, 02:11 AM

Soooo, this is the only way to get around this little problem? iDVD won't support DVD-RW's yet, but will DVD Studio Pro? And why is it taking Apple so long to apply this feature to iDVD? So i have to trick my Superdrive to burn to a DVD-RW. And it's going to start the encoding process, and still let me eject the DVD while it's doing this? Sorry for all the questions, i just don't want to accidently start burning a DVD-R disc, and then ruin it by ejecting it out of my Mac.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2002, 08:38 AM

I would suspect that this is intentional-

Most set-top-box television DVD players support playing DVD-R media. About half of those that are already out there can handle DVD-RW.

Apple saves themselves a lot of angry support calls simply by not allowing iDVD2 to burn DVD-RW.

(example of angry call for support: "I bought this expensive computer and burned a disc, and my Aunt Mabel put it in her television's DVD player and it isn't working! I bought expensive media and she can't see it! No, I don't want you to tell me to buy her a new player! Why can't I use DVD-RW!? Did I buy a Macintosh or not? ......")

If I had to guess, it's supported with DVD Studio Pro because they expect you to know that sort of thing.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules