Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Back to school crowd?

Back to school crowd?
b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2002, 06:28 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Apple is releasing the new ultra cool 17" imac just a few weeks to late for most back to school users to consider buying it? I am so frustrated, I was so close to being able to recomend it to multiple different people who are counting on me to help them choose their pc of choice... and now? Due to late shipping and limited supplies I have to advise them on what type of wintel to get...

::weeping::
-b00tang
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

oopenstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 09:01 PM

I guess Apple has adopted the "skool is 4 loserz!" attitude...Steve DID drop out of college, ya know...
I'm the operator with my pocket calculator.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2002, 09:05 PM

Yeah...and look at Steve now!
Makes you wonder why anyone bother going to school

Tom.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2002, 09:09 PM

mine has been ordered for school

foppie
Aug 8, 2002, 05:44 PM

Hi,

I don't get it. school starts in september over here. so you would have to do without a computer for ONE week. what's the problem. you get a 17" widescreen. I couldn't afford it so i got the 800 MHz 15". But still if you don't get a widescreen? They would get a wintel? I really don't get it. But I'm happy with my first mac. burned my first DVD a week ago. It was an edited vacation movie. It was great.
I once was lost in a dark world
iMac 15" 800
iMac 17" 1.8

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 12:45 AM

I just have to say i completely agree with the complaints I have been hearing from people uncertain about macs... Imagine trying to deal with your first week of college and do all this crazy new stuff, and then have to get in a computer thats strange to you and deal with all that... not to mention if your already at college, there may be no easy way to get all your old files off your old computer... all I have to say is raise your hand if you like hassels... anyone?
ok then lets add another check in the minus columns that possible "switchers" are looking at when they consider macs... I'm a die hard mac fan so of course I'll cope... but people who are already leaning towards pc's that you want to see switch? not a chance
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 08:01 PM

I don't think students are necessarily in that much of a bind. Part of it is just planning. I'm hoping to get an iBook (or maybe even a PowerBook) to replace my current Toshiba laptop, but I'm not leaping into things with both feet: I'm going to keep my Toshiba up until I actually have its replacement and know that it's useable, I intend to order anything extra (RAM, wireless networking) such that I already have it by the time the system arrives, and so on.

I'm not totally excusing Apple... but when it's ready, it's ready. I'm sure Apple would have loved to say that the widescreen iMac was ready to ship the moment it was announced, but obviously it wasn't. Besides, I'd certainly think that it would be worth the extra driving time or shipping costs to have a really nice widescreen display instead of the "usual" 15" screen.

Edit: this marks my 100th post! I'd like to thank the Academy... er, maybe not.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 07:45 PM

Last time i checked Apple was a consumer computer company. Education (though a key market for them) has never gotten to determine the schedule of Apple product releases. If you're looking for Apple to release a product for education, well we had that - they called it the eMac and now it's available for consumer as well

Personally, if i were a student i'd be much more furious that my school could not have it's machines running OS X in the public labs b/c of the release schedule of Mac OS 10.2 than the release of an updated iMac - the preeiminent consumer Macintosh model.

IMHO, the larger issue lies with the reality of MWNY occurring in late July - well beyind the ability of most education school/student purchases.

Speed

Forum Links
Forum Rules