Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web design software

Web design software
m_brand0
Aug 12, 2003, 09:21 PM

I am looking to design a personal/promotional website. I have very limited experience designing websites (I took an HTML class in college).

What I want to do is have some pictures, resume and some text pages. I was thinking of adding a blog to the site as well but I'm not quite sure as how to do this. Eventually, I want to add a few small Quicktime pieces on the site as well.

What to I need to accomplish something like this? Quite frankly, I don't want to buy a ton of expensive programs that I won't use. Is there a cheap piece of software out there that I can use or am in the Dreamweaver/Premeire territory?

Thanks for any advice!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by m_brand0:
I am looking to design a personal/promotional website. I have very limited experience designing websites (I took an HTML class in college).
For what you're looking to do, Dreamweaver is overkill.

If you know some HTML, look at PageSpinner. It's a pretty nice HML IDE. There are others I'm sure as well.

I have used BBEdit forever. It requires that you really know how HTML works, but that's what I used at CNN.com and what I still use today.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 10:06 PM

Do a quick search before you post - this sort of question has been asked several times recently.

Basically you'll get a few types of responses:

(1) code by hand - use your HTML knowledge and basic web tutorials to use TextEdit (or similar - OmniWeb has a a great source editor) to code a page by hand.

(2) for what you're doing, it might be worth using .Mac's homepage service.

(3) if you absolutely need a WYSIWYG HTML editor, check out Freeway.
cpac

xtal
Senior User
Aug 13, 2003, 08:55 AM

If you choose to go the 'code by hand' route, I would suggest taking a look at Taco HTML Edit which is a good full-featured HTML editor that I've found to be quite stable under OS X.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2003, 09:45 AM

slightly offtopic: but is there any editor that makes use of the Webkit framework?
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Ilja:
slightly offtopic: but is there any editor that makes use of the Webkit framework?
In what way?

OmniWeb used Webcore (though not Webkit) so if you use their source editor you can immediately (one click) see how your source will render in a webcore based browser...
cpac

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 10:44 AM

Hydra uses webkit. Its strict coding by hand but has live preview.
http://www.codingmonkeys.de/

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 11:04 AM

A quick and dirty visual solution could be to simply use Mozilla or Netscape Composer, included in the browser suite...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 13, 2003, 11:42 AM

You might also look at Freeway. Personally I've never used it. But lately it's been getting really good reviews from users and magazines. It's designed for individuals who don't really know much about HTML, and don't want to "get their hands dirty" coding anything.

Might be worth a look.

Forum Links
Forum Rules