Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Raising of the Bar

Raising of the Bar
Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2004, 08:13 PM

Lately, as the Mockup Contest's winners are being released, I and many of you have noticed that the bar has been raised way up high in the sky. While this is great for the end users, it's not so great for newbie themers like myself. To me, the hardest part of making a Safari/iTunes etc. skin is recreating all the symbols on the buttons, like the iTunes visualization button, for example. I think it would be a great help if someone who has already remade all these symbols released their PSDs. This way, anyone could make appskins a lot faster, and of higher quality.

Oh, and I have been saying I'm a newbie themer for a while with out much ground to back it up. Sha-POW!

swiz
GUI Punk
May 31, 2004, 08:57 PM

When you say "release their psd's" do you mean so you dont have to recreate the glyphs and/or icons/symbols which go on the buttons/controls? If so, this would be beneficial for most themes.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2004, 09:02 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2004, 08:05 AM

*cough*Max*cough*

I hope someone who is generous enough to give us these PSDs finds this topic before it dies...

underwood
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 08:41 AM

i agree. it's kinda hard modding themes / adding app skins to themes because some of the symbols are hard to create. especially that burn button on iTunes. extracting the brushed background (so there's only an outline) from burn button is hell.

FB Eye
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 09:32 AM

Nice theme Frisbee!!!

Looking forward to give it a spin...

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Nice theme Frisbee!!!

Looking forward to give it a spin...
HAHAHA! NICE PUN! You know... spin... Frisbee... get it? Nevermind.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2004, 06:08 PM

Lawl, thanks FB.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 2, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
*cough*Max*cough*

I hope someone who is generous enough to give us these PSDs finds this topic before it dies...
I'll see if I can post them tonight. I think it's a good idea, I've already gone trough the process of extracting the symbols to their own layer for both safari and itunes. Is there any other app you can think of?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 07:54 AM

You should release your modded menu extra images Max! (The ones without jaggies.)

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I'll see if I can post them tonight. I think it's a good idea, I've already gone trough the process of extracting the symbols to their own layer for both safari and itunes. Is there any other app you can think of?
Cool! that's great news Max
Thanks for that man
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 2, 2004, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
You should release your modded menu extra images Max! (The ones without jaggies.)
Really?
All of this would fit well into a template package though. I've made some work on a template with all the aqua buttons, stuff like this would fit in well. Although now with my work experience I don't have much time for that, but I might be able to make such a package during the summer vacation.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 2, 2004, 02:44 PM

I'm gonna take some time and see if I can fix a more complete package with buttons templates for a couple of appskins..

JoE950
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2004, 06:21 PM

i was thinking about going through and making flat single color tool bar buttons for almost everything, then you could just color them according to the theme you use.

something like this would look great as is with themes like eylo, but a themer could theoretically use them however they like, adding effects or putting them on buttons.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 07:46 PM

JoE, max... I would offer to have your babies if you did something like what you're talking about.

My least favorite part of app skins (especially that damn iTunes!) is copying over the icons on buttons. And of course every time I forget to save them in a reusable format, heh.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 08:40 PM

Dude, I still don't like the radio buttons.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 09:52 PM

Jaey: Surely you couldn't be talking about my radio buttons. I'd be more likely to lighten the check on the checkbox to match the radios than darken the dot on the radios (which I'm probably going to do.)

And Max... just about any glyph in all the appskins you made for AA (still probably my favorite theme of all time!) would be great. Even the gear on the action button in the Finder. The menu extras as mentioned earlier, all the iTunes buttons, other iLife apps... as much as you can do without losing focus on the new job. It would be a great help to newbs like myself, and veterans alike.

I look forward to seeing a nice icon set from you... I'm sure you'll do great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules