Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Maruchan Beef & Chicken Ramen Noodles

Maruchan Beef & Chicken Ramen Noodles
Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 08:57 PM

I have made it to page 25 of a google search looking for an online grocery store that will sell Beef AND Chicken flavor Maruchan brand ramen noodles. Every store I've came across always has one limitation that makes the store useless. Limiting the quantity I can buy, not having the right flavors, huge shipping costs...

Does anyone know of any online stores that will suit my needs? I'm trying to get about 80 packs of ramen, with hopefully around 50 beef and 30 chicken, all though these numbers are flexible. And by flexible, I mean they can get much bigger, but preferably not smaller.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 09:17 PM

tip:

don't eat that much of that stuff

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 09:37 PM

Keep searching. With enough effort you can find anything on the Internet.

I spent two days and used multiple search engines to find a copy of Puyo Puyo 4 for Dreamcast.

And then Sega had the nerve to rerelease it a few months later!
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
tip:

don't eat that much of that stuff
I knew someone would say something along those lines..

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 10:01 PM

http://www.usarations.com/catalog/it...388/302624.htm

Add the flavor to your cart, then update the quantity, in packs of 12.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by RGB:
http://www.usarations.com/catalog/it...388/302624.htm

Add the flavor to your cart, then update the quantity, in packs of 12.
Already seen it. $27 shipping for 5 packs of beef and 2 packs of chicken..

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 10:10 PM

Can you not get that in vermont?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2004, 10:13 PM

Most of those packets have MSG in them. So I make my own seasoning.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Can you not get that in vermont?
I can, but getting 80 packs of ramen from a store...
1. Gets a lot of weird stares.
2. Is not a physically easy task. Paper bags aren't that big, and the carts aren't that big, either.
3. I often can't find the flavors I originally wanted.

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Most of those packets have MSG in them. So I make my own seasoning.
I should try that some time. I know the MSG is in there, but I eat my fridge empty at such a fast rate that having 80 packs of ramen handy is worth the health risks.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2004, 10:35 PM

Go to Sams Club (or whatever equivalent you have). We would buy Ramen for our dorms front-desk store from there. It's cheap, you don't have to pay shipping and I'm positive they have the flavors you want.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 10:44 PM

I'd just put up with the stares and hit a store.

And there's nothing wrong with MSG.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 10:56 PM

O/T what part of Vermont do you live in? I'm from Rutland and there has never been a shortage of ramen there. Heroin, too!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Depends on the person. Some people can eat it just fine. Others it gives them extreme sharp pains in their stomach and causes them to have explosive diarrhea.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 11:16 PM

Others it gives them extreme sharp pains in their stomach and causes them to have explosive diarrhea.

just like your posts!

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
O/T what part of Vermont do you live in? I'm from Rutland and there has never been a shortage of ramen there. Heroin, too!
Norwich. We've got a general store, and that's it. Not to mention I live 5 miles out of the center of the town. Across the river, there's Hanover, NH, which still doesn't really have much of a Ramen selection.

http://www.bjs.com/locations/clubs/320.shtml

That's my best bet around here, but it's a bit of a drive. I'd still like an online store so that I can order vast quantities whenever I feel the need. That way I can also stay right at my computer and waste my life

forkies
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 11:24 PM

i get migraines from msg

you can get cases (approx 40 packages!) of that stuff at sam's club, as stated earlier.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
just like your posts!

forkies
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 11:27 PM

[img][img]
perhaps you missed it, but he didn't compliment you...

ps it's sad that you made that image

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by forkies:
perhaps you missed it, but he didn't compliment you...

No.. .really? Your kidding!

ps it's sad that you made that image
It's even sadder that people take the time out to post off topic comments about me because they can't get the chips off their shoulders.

That image took me all of 5 minutes to do. You guys rah rah about me daily.

THAT is what makes you part of my fanclub!

The pure obsessiveness.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 11:45 PM

The pure obsessiveness.
It's one of the perils of being a celebrity.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2004, 11:48 PM

To get back on topic, there are recipes on the web I believe so you can make your OWN seasoning.

Usually tastes better than the pre-packeted stuff.

A ex of mine was big on it.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 12:15 AM

ok, so I don't know if this would be too far to drive or not but its a great place for Japanese groceries. Maybe you could get them to send you something. I'm sure they're going to have all the flavors you want (and don't want like maybe shrimp?). http://www.mitsuwa.com/slh2.html

If you're a starving college student, you might also try buying bulk macaroni noodles and a brick of velveeta. Makes some awesome mac and cheese. Then there's always spaghetti...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 12:22 AM

It's even sadder that people take the time out to post off topic comments about me because they can't get the chips off their shoulders.
But if we don't post off topic about you, we'll never hit 20,000 posts!


wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by wilsonX:
ok, so I don't know if this would be too far to drive or not but its a great place for Japanese groceries. Maybe you could get them to send you something. I'm sure they're going to have all the flavors you want (and don't want like maybe shrimp?). http://www.mitsuwa.com/slh2.html

If you're a starving college student, you might also try buying bulk macaroni noodles and a brick of velveeta. Makes some awesome mac and cheese. Then there's always spaghetti...
If we're talking Maruchan brand ramen, and we are, then I think an Asian grocery is probably less likely to have it. They'll have lots of ramen, but not Maruchan. Maruchan seems to be much more common in regular grocery stores, at least in the Midwest.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 01:18 AM

You know Frisbee, there's always the Asian Superstore in Lebanon if you're willing to try other brands of Ramen.
Although they sell mostly Indian things

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 09:59 PM

If we're talking Maruchan brand ramen, and we are, then I think an Asian grocery is probably less likely to have it. They'll have lots of ramen, but not Maruchan. Maruchan seems to be much more common in regular grocery stores, at least in the Midwest.
So tell me, have you actually been to this grocery store? I have.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 10:08 PM

I'd just put up with the stares and hit a store.

And you base your comment re:msg on what basis in fact?

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 10:11 PM

why the hell do you need 80 packs of Ramen at once? are you going to eat them all for dinner one night? can't you just buy 24 at a time or something?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 10:23 PM

So tell me, have you actually been to this grocery store? I have.
Congratulations. No, I haven't been. But I wasn't speaking about Mitsuwa, I was making an observation about Asian groceries vs. regular ones in general, in my experience in the Midwest.

And re: MSG, I happen to have just finished a course on food science here at UW-Madison, and the subject was brought up. In a nutshell, the material covered in class said that there are no reputable studies that support the claim that MSG causes any ill effects in anyone. I have no other basis for my comment, other than a general suspicion of people who make unsubstantiated claims about the evils of things like food irradiation, artificial sweeteners, and MSG.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 10:54 PM

Also consider the Japanese ramen Sapporo Ichiban, which is also quite good.

As others have said, can be easily found at an oriental food store, and you'll get a good deal on it as opposed to ordering it online.

31 posts to go...
F = ma

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
Also consider the Japanese ramen Sapporo Ichiban, which is also quite good.
I agree; Sapporo Ichiban is tastier than Maruchan, but it's also usually more expensive.

My favorite instant ramen packs (as opposed to the expensive imported styrofoam bowls) is Myojo Chukazanmai ("Japanese Style Noodles With Soup Base"). It's a bit more pricey than even Ichiban, but it's really good (for instant ramen).

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wataru:
Congratulations. No, I haven't been. But I wasn't speaking about Mitsuwa, I was making an observation about Asian groceries vs. regular ones in general, in my experience in the Midwest.

And re: MSG, I happen to have just finished a course on food science here at UW-Madison, and the subject was brought up. In a nutshell, the material covered in class said that there are no reputable studies that support the claim that MSG causes any ill effects in anyone. I have no other basis for my comment, other than a general suspicion of people who make unsubstantiated claims about the evils of things like food irradiation, artificial sweeteners, and MSG.
[/QUOTE

So you were just sharing your knowledge about the likelihood of finding this brand of ramen at "asian" grocery stores...not really commenting on the likelihood of finding it at Mitsuwa? Oh, okay.

And I'm sure you're an expert on food science now that you've actually had a course in it. I guess the Yale medical school professor who told me he has seen firsthand the holes that msg can put in your brain was wrong. Gee, I better call him up and tell him he's been mistaken all these years.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 12:30 PM

And I'm sure you're an expert on food science now that you've actually had a course in it. I guess the Yale medical school professor who told me he has seen firsthand the holes that msg can put in your brain was wrong. Gee, I better call him up and tell him he's been mistaken all these years.
I never said I was an expert. Thanks for attacking me for sharing my info before you ever laid yours out.

Would you care to name the professor? Point out a study? Could you explain why other studies haven't found these "holes?" How about explaining why Asia isn't full of brain damaged people?

mindwaves
Jul 27, 2004, 12:33 PM

When they are on sale, they can be found for 10 for a dollar....

edit: Lots of ramen can be found at Asian grocery stores, but in particular, not Maruchan ramen. Just more Asian brands which tend to be more expensive.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 12:45 PM

I never said I was an expert. Thanks for attacking me for sharing my info before you ever laid yours out.

Would you care to name the professor? Point out a study? Could you explain why other studies haven't found these "holes?" How about explaining why Asia isn't full of brain damaged people?
Food science 120? did you even have to go to class or was that all done via the internet/tv?

Corpus callosum would be the part of the brain in which minute holes are made by msg. No I wouldn't care to name the professor nor do I care to waste any more time with this or you.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 12:55 PM

Food science 120? did you even have to go to class or was that all done via the internet/tv?

Corpus callosum would be the part of the brain in which minute holes are made by msg. No I wouldn't care to name the professor nor do I care to waste any more time with this or you.
Wow, you are soooo convincing! Your anecdotal evidence is far superior to mine, even though mine came from a professor and you could have made yours up for all I know. And yes, it is a huge waste of time defending your claims, especially when they contradict commonly-accepted knowledge. I mean, why bother, right?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 27, 2004, 12:59 PM

How about this. I used to think it was all in my head as well. When I KNEW I had eaten something with MSG I would get sick. So an GF of mine tried to fool me thinking it was all in my head. She added some to a dinner we had that normally didn't have MSG in it.

Sure enough same symptoms.

SOME people have an allergic reaction to it, some don't

The Food industry doesn't want people to know what is making their stomachs hurt because using MSG is A LOT CHEAPER than using actual spices.

MSG does indeed cause some people intestinal problems. I don't care what you've been told in at UW_Madison.

As far as it making holes in your brain, I have no clue.

I just know it makes my stomach feel like someone is poking knives in it.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 02:49 PM

Couldn't find anything to substantiate your claims on PubMed.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 27, 2004, 03:06 PM

Babble, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker.

some guy asks a question, his thread ends up as a petty squabbling match because people don't want to be "wrong" on the internet and back down. you guys are priceless.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2004, 03:25 PM

And re: MSG, I happen to have just finished a course on food science here at UW-Madison, and the subject was brought up. In a nutshell, the material covered in class said that there are no reputable studies that support the claim that MSG causes any ill effects in anyone. I
Are any of these studies mentioned reputable? I'm on the fence about MSG because I don't know enough about Glutomates, but I can tell you that I've been doing Weight Watchers for about 6 months now and I have demonstrated to myself that MSG in one meal pretty much ruins my weight loss for the next 2-3 days and will cause gains at least because of fluid retention.

I love ramen. My advice is to go the store manager of the grocery store you usually buy them at and make a special order. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to ask.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Are any of these studies mentioned reputable? I'm on the fence about MSG because I don't know enough about Glutomates, but I can tell you that I've been doing Weight Watchers for about 6 months now and I have demonstrated to myself that MSG in one meal pretty much ruins my weight loss for the next 2-3 days and will cause gains at least because of fluid retention.
Thanks for the link. I don't have time (or the interest, frankly) to take a really good look at things, but my cursory glance at the website you linked to, as well as many of the top hits on google searches for some of the sources mentioned ("Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills," etc.) don't fill me with much confidence. They all seem to be alarmist conspiracy-theory type sites or articles that just link to further alarmist conspiracy-theory type sites. An example: One of the bits of logic this site uses is to say "If MSG is harmless then why is it hidden on package labels?" I couldn't find any sites that didn't look amateurish and poorly designed. There seems to be a lot of crossover with the anti-aspartame crowd. None of this is damning evidence, I know, but it's enough to make me suspicious.

Your anecdote is interesting, but hardly conclusive. I'll have to ask people I know if they have had similar experiences.

ambush
Banned
Jul 27, 2004, 04:13 PM

r4m3n r0x my c0ck!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Are any of these studies mentioned reputable?
The author doesn't cite any articles from reputable medical or scientific journals, and instead hints at various conspiracy theories to bolster his position.

There's no way food and drug companies could pay off every doctor and scientist in the world to suppress damning evidence that MSG causes brain damage. Doctors have no more desire than you or me to see their friends and family die from a chemical that they can't always identify and avoid in their foods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules