Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > got my K700i , picture thread as requested.

got my K700i , picture thread as requested.
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 07:01 PM

Some varying pictures taken with my brand new K700i.

Highest res is 650x480, and there are afew smaller ones as you can see. Enjoy.

Any other questions i can answer about the phone, let me know i'll do my best.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2004, 07:06 PM

Those are some scary pics man.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 2, 2004, 07:08 PM

Why are they scary?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 07:25 PM

what the hell is a K700i ?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
what the hell is a K700i ?
lol....I was wondering the same thing...the first picture is of a laptop that looks like a PB and is running OS X....I was thinking is it some type of prototype hardware that runs Mac OS?

Then I scrolled down (thinking the K700i was a new laptop) and saw the varying pictures and was like WTF? Then I read 3 sentences and figured it out.

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2004, 08:56 PM

K700i is a Sony-Ericsson phone for those who still don't know.

What provider are you using it with, and where did you get it?

x.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 09:37 PM

Good lord. Isn't the thing like $500?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2004, 09:38 PM

Those pix really are a massive improvement over the T630. Too bad they don't have a version of the K700i with 850MHz.

tooki

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 2, 2004, 09:44 PM

Welcome to the club. More pix from my K700i thread are below. Click on pictures for bigger version:

Panoramas:

Oh, and in the K700 ad, they feature a G4 iMac.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 09:48 PM

Wow, those are some nice pics for a phone. Congrats on the new phone. 32MB of internal memory. Nice.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by iXavier:
What provider are you using it with, and where did you get it?
I'm using mine with Fido (Canada). They are strictly 1900 so the lack of 850 is irrelevant for me. I got my phone from a guy who imports phones from Hong Kong. (Mine came with a Hong Kong plug actually, so I have to find a $2 adapter somewhere.)

Originally posted by MindFad:
Good lord. Isn't the thing like $500?
A little under $400 for US mail order. Locally in Toronto it's about US$435-450.

Anyways, I've started taking the pix on fine mode at reduced resolution, if I'm going to be sending them from the phone. The pix usually are about 30 KB, which fits in under the 50 KB free MMS email limit for Fido. If I use the standard 640x480 at fine quality, the images are 75-100 KB. Too big for Fido MMS, so I would have to use traditional email, and that's $$$.

Oh and one more pic... Padded bras for sale on the street in Chinatown.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
A little under $400 for US mail order. Locally in Toronto it's about US$435-450.

Wow.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Wow.
Heheh. At least the thing is supported in iSync. I use it as a PDA.

BTW, in Q4 the S700 comes out, and it has a vastly superior camera. 1280x960 and better quality, with things like spot metering, etc. And it's gonna be about $550.

I decided not to wait for it because it's a bulkier phone and looks less ergonomic. Also, it probably will be a half a year before it's really out at reasonable prices.

However, if next year a K700-sized good quality 1 Megapixel Bluetooth phone shoes up, I might just have to upgrade.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Wow, those are some nice pics for a phone. Congrats on the new phone. 32MB of internal memory. Nice.
41 MB. The memory was bumped for the production models.

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 12:39 AM

41 MB. The memory was bumped for the production models.
What is the amount of RAM available to the user though?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 12:54 AM

Out of curiosity, how much did the T610 start out as in the US? I got mine in December, essentially for free, with a new phone contract. I'll be looking for a new phone in December again. I'd like something with a better (and Snappier�) interface than my T610, which is extremely slow to use. It also has some annoying quirks with iSync (doesn't seem to understand that "First name" and "last name" are 2 separate things, so therefore can't alphabetize names properly unless they are listed as last,first. After 3 years of Nokias the poor interface is really annoying me. If only Apple made phones....

ambush
Banned
Aug 3, 2004, 01:08 AM

theres an indescriptible emotional aspect in those photos... maybe life of a proletarian couple?

- a proletarian house
- a proletarian couple after work
- what his 50 years of savings could buy

I'm so high in the sky right now.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
Out of curiosity, how much did the T610 start out as in the US? I got mine in December, essentially for free, with a new phone contract. I'll be looking for a new phone in December again. I'd like something with a better (and Snappier�) interface than my T610, which is extremely slow to use. It also has some annoying quirks with iSync (doesn't seem to understand that "First name" and "last name" are 2 separate things, so therefore can't alphabetize names properly unless they are listed as last,first. After 3 years of Nokias the poor interface is really annoying me. If only Apple made phones....
I know what you mean, but I don't think it's really a big deal. If it's first names first, I usually prefer it be sorted by first names actually. But I can understand your annoyance.

A bigger annoyance is that it doesn't sync all day events.

And although the K700 supports street addresses (the T610 doesn't I believe), they don't sync over. Maybe with iSync 1.5...

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
What is the amount of RAM available to the user though?
41 MB.

BTW, I'm transferred about 8 MB of low bitrate MP3s to it just for the hell of it. It's went at about 21 KB/s. Free memory is now 35833 KB.

OMG 48 kbps mono MP3 sounds like crap. But it does make one wonder about a few years from now when small phones might have 1+ GB RAM...

This thing also reads AAC too, but you have to manually change the name to xxxxxx.aac after encoding with iTunes. It won't work with iTMS songs either. That iTunes for cell phones is sounding more and more interesting.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
You must have an old firmware version. Most of what you said is fixed in R4C or later, ESPECIALLY speed issues. The new firmwares are so fast, some Java games are unplayable because they scream. I can't agree with your assessment of the interface, I find it much more pleasant to use than a Series 40 phone but the Series 60 phones really are great.

If you're hell bent on a Nokia, check out the 7610. They're like $700 right now though!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 3, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
theres an indescriptible emotional aspect in those photos... maybe life of a proletarian couple?

- a proletarian house

You need to get out of Quebec once in awhile.

Ah, that explains it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 01:40 AM

This thing also reads AAC too, but you have to manually change the name to xxxxxx.aac after encoding with iTunes. It won't work with iTMS songs either. That iTunes for cell phones is sounding more and more interesting.
Oops. xxxxx.aac doesn't work. However, changing the name to xxxxx.mp4 does work. I loaded up a 6+ MB file (in about 5 minutes), and it's playing off my phone right now. This 192 kbps AAC file of Haydn actually sounds pretty good.

I can't wait for my 4 GB iPhone mini!!!

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 01:48 AM

- a proletarian house

Exactly why I called them scary. Depressing stuff.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 3, 2004, 01:53 AM

Eh, I think some of your superficialness is showing.

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Eh, I think some of your superficialness is showing.
Where do you work again and what cellphone can you afford?

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 3, 2004, 02:06 AM

Where do you work again and what cellphone can you afford?
That's what I thought.

You know I keep hearing stereotypical stories about homosexuals being superficial and materialistic.

You sure aren't shedding that stereotype here very well.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 02:34 AM

congrats! nice cell phone!

i currently own a t610 and lovin' it. one of the few gripes i have about it though, is that it takes about a million steps to send a text message. has that changed in the k700i?

how long does the battery last (in reality)?

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Aug 3, 2004, 02:48 AM

That's what I thought.

You know I keep hearing stereotypical stories about homosexuals being superficial and materialistic.

You sure aren't shedding that stereotype here very well.
Don't be silly. You're just envious of his bling-bling.

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 02:51 AM

Most are, we can be because we have jobs and dual incomes.

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
congrats! nice cell phone!

i currently own a t610 and lovin' it. one of the few gripes i have about it though, is that it takes about a million steps to send a text message. has that changed in the k700i?
I heard they already improved it with the t637 with Buddy lists.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 04:12 AM

I have a k700i for a week now and i like most of it. Didn't pay a thing though. Just signing a 2 year contract with another telco (a switch i was going to make anyway)

But, all it cool features aside, i think the alarmclock totally sucks! Though it sports a 'snooze' function, if you don't reach your phone in time to press it, the alarm just switches off after half a minute never to be heard of again...
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 04:16 AM

ahhh, very good.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 3, 2004, 04:55 AM

I still don`t get why anybody would want a camera in a cell phone.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 04:59 AM

I have a t630 - so what's the difference to the t637 ??? Or is this just a little name change for the american market? (google couldn't help me)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Moblogs

I'm definitely upgrading my T610 to the K700i, although I was a bit disappointed with the improvement in picture quality. The old Nokia with the butt ugly rotary pad had better quality :/

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Because some people have never had a normal camera and aren't photographers - but occasionally see something they'd like to see again - but rarely enough not to warrant carrying around a proper camera all the time.

It's nice.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 07:28 AM

Home! complete with sunny day and chemtrails
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
I have a t630 - so what's the difference to the t637 ??? Or is this just a little name change for the american market? (google couldn't help me)
I would like to now as well. I am gettig ready to get a new phone and am deciding on a T616 or T637. The SE website shows them as identical so does anyone know the differences? Thanks!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 08:45 AM

That is one sweet-ass phone. I'm still using the Sony Ericsson T306 with attachable camera, but the camera's a joke-not even worth using.

Love the phone though.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
I would like to now as well. I am gettig ready to get a new phone and am deciding on a T616 or T637. The SE website shows them as identical so does anyone know the differences? Thanks!
The difference is the bands they run on:
T637: 850/1800/1900
T630: 900/1800/1900

850 and 1900 are bands specific to the American market. But SE has designed their 850 MHz phones to be better on the 1900 MHz frequencies as well -- the antenna puts out about an extra two watts of power looking for carriers on the 850 band, which in turn improves the quality of the 1900 MHz frequency.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 10:26 AM

So 128 Kbps iTunes AAC sounds reasonable in this phone, although it's hard to really tell because of the cheap bundled headphones. I'm gonna get an adapter to see if using proper headphones improves the sound quality. Why? Just for the hell of it, and the adapter should be only $10. In reality though it's not going to useful except for music because there is only 41 MB total. How big are audiobooks though?

Now, the MP3/AAC player's features in this phone are pretty rudimentary (no scanning within a track for instance), but I can definitely see this type of functionality massively improving over the next year or so, as memory usable in phones becomes more widely available and cheaper.

Phones have already begun to kill the low end PDA market. It can't be long before phones begin to kill the low end MP3 player market, too. I'm still getting my 6 GB iPod mini in early 2005 though.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 11:16 AM

proletarian
WTF? Have you been reading Marx or something?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 11:27 AM

So 128 Kbps iTunes AAC sounds reasonable in this phone, although it's hard to really tell because of the cheap bundled headphones. I'm gonna get an adapter to see if using proper headphones improves the sound quality. Why? Just for the hell of it, and the adapter should be only $10. In reality though it's not going to useful except for music because there is only 41 MB total. How big are audiobooks though?

Now, the MP3/AAC player's features in this phone are pretty rudimentary (no scanning within a track for instance), but I can definitely see this type of functionality massively improving over the next year or so, as memory usable in phones becomes more widely available and cheaper.

Phones have already begun to kill the low end PDA market. It can't be long before phones begin to kill the low end MP3 player market, too. I'm still getting my 6 GB iPod mini in early 2005 though.
Agreed. I look forward to the day when my phone takes my iPod's place. I think it will be a few years though. Not that I don't love my iPod, but carrying around fewer devices is always nice. Some hard drive makers (Hitachi for instance) have announced tiny hard drives for use in cell phones.

Perfect phone:
- Long life battery
- Hard drive for information storage with plenty of RAM for applications, contacts and phone information
- Audio/video out port
- 3+ MP camera with flash
- Cash card chips like those coming out in Japan (just swipe your phone for small purchases)
- Symbian-based
- K700i-like form factor (small and metal)

No need then to carry around a PDA, phone, iPod and camera! I'd pay good money for that

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
how long does the battery last (in reality)?
Hmm, needs reanimation every single day, maybe two if you dont use bluetooth, camera, etc.

ambush
Banned
Aug 3, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
WTF? Have you been reading Marx or something?

Yes I recently read the manifesto.

It's a good read.

Man last night... I was so.. ****ing high it was NICE.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 3, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by KrazyEvilGoat:
Don't be silly. You're just envious of his bling-bling.
I can have all the bling I want.

Some of us don't wrap our lives around possessions and superficialness.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 3, 2004, 12:45 PM

Most are, we can be because we have jobs and dual incomes.
Eh, both me and Bekah have jobs. But somehow, we still don't find time to be superficial.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Hmm, needs reanimation every single day, maybe two if you dont use bluetooth, camera, etc.
Yeah, I think it would last maybe 3 days if I didn't use Bluetooth or the camera at all, but probably more like 2 days with heavier standard usage before I drain the battery too much for a safe cushion. I will just charge it everyday (whereas with my T610 I would charge it every couple of days). If the new firmware doesn't fix this, I'll get myself a 900 mAh battery.

I can have all the bling I want.

Some of us don't wrap our lives around possessions and superficialness.
Just what are you doing in a superficial material gadget/possession thread anyway?

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
Other then the look of the thing not much is different. The screen on the T637 is a bit better and so is the software. The t637 us newer so it is a better bet if you like the look of it.

Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2004, 01:25 PM

Just what are you doing in a superficial material gadget/possession thread anyway?
He is trying to make himself feel better about himself by acting above others. The Christian way.

But really, makes you wonder what in the world he is doing in this thread if he has no interest

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 01:27 PM

Other then the look of the thing not much is different. The screen on the T637 is a bit better and so is the software. The t637 us newer so it is a better bet if you like the look of it.
I actually prefer the look of the T610/616 over the T630/637 (and over the look of the K700i as well).

I didn't see any point in upgrading from the T61x to the T63x, but the K700i is a much more significant upgrade. Still, if you have little use for the camera or extra memory, it's not worth the upgrade to the K700i. Plus, if you need the 850 band, the K700i is not for you.

Is there supposed to be an 850-endowed K700 series phone coming? There is an 850 version of the S700 coming, called the S710. There is also rumour of a new phone coming that's in between the K700 and S700. It has the 1 Megapixel camera (probably with less features), but it's physically smaller than the S700.

Forum Links
Forum Rules