Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Themes?

OS X Themes?
theoden
Mar 1, 2001, 07:20 PM

As posted here on slashdot, it seems that Apple has patented some kind of Theming Engine for the OS. Any ideas whether or not this is just legal crap or perhaps Apple might implement theming is OS X?

-theoden

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2001, 08:24 PM

As much as I'd like to see some kind of theme-like customization in X, my gut feeling is that it ain't gonna happen... Apple wants us to like Aqua (well, OK, use Aqua) and there's been no real sign of themability in OS X beyond Graphite. Considering the release date is in three weeks, putting that kind of feature in the OS would probably be next to impossible in this time frame.

Perhaps they plan to put it into a future revision, but I am very skeptical on getting anything at this point.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2001, 08:27 PM

Steve likes to hold things back.

Themes would be a good one to use as a show stomper.

anything is possible.

------------------
Alex Duffield
------------------

*Compliments mr_SonicBlue
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Cyzor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 08:29 PM

Also, according to an older thread, the patent in question refers to OS 8.5 technology.

Maybe someday, but certainally not March 24th.

neoTony
Mar 1, 2001, 09:13 PM

Never say never....

March 24 is going to have some surprises - that much I can tell you

The rest you'll just have to wait for *grin*

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2001, 11:00 PM

Now that Apple owns a very BROAD patent regarding themes for an operating system, I wonder how that will effect Microsoft? Will they be able to release multiple themes like in Windos98 Plus?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

zpincus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2001, 11:30 PM

It's not that broad. Did you read the details of the patent, and not just the overview on the first page? Though I am no expert in legalese, it appears to be a patent of a pretty specific implementation using OS <9 technology and resources.

MS, Enlightenment, et al have nothing to worry about.

Zach

neoTony
Mar 1, 2001, 11:42 PM

A certain engine in Mac OS X uses a modified version of what you read about in the patent. Think this through slowly and carefully - Apple registered the last of those patents about 3 years ago. Now parts of this patent are Mac OS 9 specific, but there is a reason they patented this stuff, and it's not so they can make money off Mickeysoft and all those *nix WM's. What else began heavy development 3-4 years ago? This engine has been a core part of 10.0 the entire time - you really thought Apple would leave the glaring disparities in the appearance of carbon and cocoa apps?

Trust me, there are a few more patents than these if you have a good poke around - some of them even have piccies (albeit b&w faxes). The PB/4Kxx builds are only the tip of a rather large iceberg that's going to shock the fscking pants off quite a few people...

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2001, 11:59 PM

You never know what apple has up their sleeve...Steve Jobs loves to surpise us, March 24th is going to be the greatest day since the introduction of the iMac that brought apple back. Mark my words.

------------------
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler
Translation..."One people, one empire, one leader"
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

mindwaves
Mar 2, 2001, 12:00 AM

Words marked...

mac freak
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 12:31 AM

LOL

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

naepstn
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2001, 01:08 AM

What I would love to see is a colour changing ability like you get in Audion 2, where you have a slider that changes the colour through the whole spectrum. I have no idea what kind of technology was implemented in Audion to allow this, as I've never seen another application of it like this, but I think that it would be perfect for Aqua. Especially if it changes dynamically as you move the colour slider, as it does in Audion. Can anyone comment on the feasibility of doing this in Aqua?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by naepstn:
What I would love to see is a colour changing ability like you get in Audion 2, where you have a slider that changes the colour through the whole spectrum. I have no idea what kind of technology was implemented in Audion to allow this, as I've never seen another application of it like this, but I think that it would be perfect for Aqua. Especially if it changes dynamically as you move the colour slider, as it does in Audion. Can anyone comment on the feasibility of doing this in Aqua?
From what I know of Quartz, this would seem to be easier to do in aqua than it would've been in Audion for legacy OS 9.

------------------
Shh! Be vewy, vewy qwiewet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwors
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2001, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by neoTony:
A certain engine in Mac OS X uses a modified version of what you read about in the patent. Think this through slowly and carefully - Apple registered the last of those patents about 3 years ago. Now parts of this patent are Mac OS 9 specific, but there is a reason they patented this stuff, and it's not so they can make money off Mickeysoft and all those *nix WM's. What else began heavy development 3-4 years ago? This engine has been a core part of 10.0 the entire time - you really thought Apple would leave the glaring disparities in the appearance of carbon and cocoa apps?

Trust me, there are a few more patents than these if you have a good poke around - some of them even have piccies (albeit b&w faxes). The PB/4Kxx builds are only the tip of a rather large iceberg that's going to shock the fscking pants off quite a few people...
You sound quite confident about this. Do you have genuine inside info, or is this just anti-fud?

streetcred
Mar 4, 2001, 09:03 PM

all the unbased speculation about some sort of huge surpise on the 24th will ultimately be conterproductive.... You are raising expectations that are bound to be dashed. Remember all the speculation about an apple branded palm or about the 17inch imac, or about the flat imac... People ended up let down that the earth didn't move. Same deal here. You guys are setting yourselves up to be let down. I work for a Mac developer and can tell you that things are pretty locked down. 1.0 will be bare bones. Look for bells and whistles this summer.

neoTony
Mar 4, 2001, 11:28 PM

I am quite confident, and streetcred is quite right - AFAIK the bells and whistles are for later builds - but they are coming

BTW: Inside info - I have a friend who has non-4Kxx builds. I don't know whether these builds are for 1.0 or 1.1 though, so again, don't get your hopes up yet..

[This message has been edited by neoTony (edited 03-04-2001).]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 4, 2001, 11:43 PM

My god! It's the Gospel of Anti-FUD-speak!

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2001, 03:41 AM

We already have a thread going on this same subject. Please scan the forum before posting a topic.

http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum3/HTML/003005.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules