Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Supported Disc Not Available after burning DVD

Supported Disc Not Available after burning DVD
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 02:56 AM

I'm attempting to burn numerous DVDs that i have of live concerts and what not.
I've attempted various ways of encoding the data, from using Toast, to just using the finder and putting the appropriate VIDEO_TS folders where they should be.

The last 2 discs that I have made i have received the error mentioned in the title...why is that? what does it mean? these files I've downloaded are VOBs and suppose to be ready to go as DVDs, but sadly neither have worked!

thanks

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2005, 07:55 AM

can the downloaded video_ts folders be played directly from DVD player or VLC (via "Open Video_ts folder...")?

what about from the burned disk?

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
can the downloaded video_ts folders be played directly from DVD player or VLC (via "Open Video_ts folder...")?

what about from the burned disk?
yes
it can beplayed both from the disc and the HDD using VLC from the VIDEO_TS

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2005, 05:15 AM

Could you please give a little bit more details?

First you're saying that you encoded the data but then you're saying that you already downloaded finished VIDEO_TS folders!?!

Does it only play in VLC or also in Apple's DVD player app as analogika was already asking?

Where do you get the error "supported disc not available"? On your Mac or in a standalone DVD player?

What exactly does your VIDEO_TS folder contain - can you list it?

How did you burn the DVD with Toast (don't use the finder, it will use a wrong format)? You should use the UDF file format option!

Spoffo
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 08:36 PM

The usual cause for this is that the disc was burned as a data disc not in the UDF format. If you're using Toast 6, it's real easy to make this mistake and instead create a data DVD that has all the right components in the VIDEO_TS folder (thus it will play in VLC) but which won't be recognized by a DVD player.

In Toast 6, go to the "Data" window, select "DVD Video (UDF)" in the "advanced" options on the left, then drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the window and burn. Toast 7 makes the right choice much more obvious: Go to the "Video" window, select "DVD Video from VIDEO_TS" then drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the window (or navigate to it using the "select" button) then burn.

macuser810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spoffo
The usual cause for this is that the disc was burned as a data disc not in the UDF format. If you're using Toast 6, it's real easy to make this mistake and instead create a data DVD that has all the right components in the VIDEO_TS folder (thus it will play in VLC) but which won't be recognized by a DVD player.

In Toast 6, go to the "Data" window, select "DVD Video (UDF)" in the "advanced" options on the left, then drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the window and burn. Toast 7 makes the right choice much more obvious: Go to the "Video" window, select "DVD Video from VIDEO_TS" then drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the window (or navigate to it using the "select" button) then burn.

I use MTR and Toast 7 and had a similar experience. MTR had a pop-up that asked me if I would like to delete or Pad VOBS that were intentionally created to prevent users from backing up and pirating movies. I selected PAD the VOBs. I then dragged the VIDEO_TS file into the "Video" window and hit burn to a Iomega DL DVD. When I verified the disk after burning it said there were some errors. I tried playing the new DVD and it failed to work. Any suggestions?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2006, 05:22 PM

1. follow Spoffo's advice. It's right, and what you describe was wrong (don't use the "Video" pane, use the "Data" pane with UDF selected.

2. verification failing is not related to your process, it just means that the burn didn't work (the bits that were sent to the laser were different from the bits read back at the end). It could be bad media, or a bad drive, or just bad luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules