Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dvd media advice?

Dvd media advice?
b00tang
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2002, 01:21 PM

I have a 17in imac on the way once they start shipping and I am getting excited about the prospect of being able to put my movies together on DVD but can someone advise me on buying media? Are there any good web pages with reviews of dvd media (i would hate to buy a 20 pack of media that wouldn't play in my dvd player... the whole point of these dvd's is to save me the hassels I have had with vcds). Or a good place to buy media?
Hopefully someone has some experience with this because superdrive will be new to me.
Thanks
-Paul
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2002, 02:30 PM

Ive used both memorex and apple DVDrs, and they both work in my player. Memorex disks were on sale at Staples when I got them, not sure if they still are.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2002, 02:40 PM

depends...If you want 2x DVD-authoring, use Apple. If you are cheap (like me), try different kind of generic DVD-R 'til you find one that works...I've tried 3 different types (6 actually, but those 3 I've done 20+ burns with) and only the last type survived cross-platform test on a consistant basis. (one of them I tried had a 30-50% chance of not mounting on the PC, one of them I tried had problems with more than 16 divx files in the same directory while on the PC, and the last one was good) The one I liked was creamy white on the top, and cost only 'bout $1.29/disc <a href="http://http://www.supermediastore.com/25pac47bulun.html" target="_blank">from here</a> (I guess it's $.98 now...)
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Paul S
Senior User
Jul 26, 2002, 12:43 AM

I've been using discs from <a href="http://www.shop4tech.com" target="_blank">www.shop4tech.com</a> that are $1.29 in a 25 pack. Select DVD-Rs from the menu and look at the ones marked LEDA. They have working in my DVD player and several of my friends. That's the cheapest I've ever seen a disc. I've burned several discs and never had a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules