Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > i can't believe the iphone doesn't...

i can't believe the iphone doesn't... (Page 4)
badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 06:39 AM

NO DISK MODE! I was hoping to use it to bring data around with me ..... :X

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It's only a lie because you have no idea what you're talking about. In the US every single carrier has unlimited mobile to mobile calling, but it's only on their network. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it wrong - you're not the intended audience for their advertising.
Either you are a complete idiot or you didn't read a word of what I was saying - much less understood it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Either you are a complete idiot or you didn't read a word of what I was saying - much less understood it.
I see an idiot in this thread, but it sure as hell aint me.

You think the "advertising" is misleading. The problem is it's not misleading for the American consumer, which you are not. It's also only meant to be seen by the American consumer, which again you are not. The only person who seems to have a problem with it is you, but the people who the "advertising" applies to understand it fine.

What I don't understand is why you're getting so upset about this, since it's not something you can use in Australia anyway.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 08:47 AM

Again, you are not understanding what I am saying here. It is exactly BECAUSE you are conditioned to read marketing lies for what they really are supposed to mean, even when the word say something completely different that this is bad for the market.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 09:10 AM

No, it's that the marketing *USED* to be explicit about the fact that it was only for same network mobile users, but once that fact became widespread the companies didn't need to specify anymore. And since you're in Australia, you wouldn't know that...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 09:14 AM

The iPhone is going to be for sale online. I wonder when it will shop up online to buy? Normally when Apple says a new product is coming out you can buy it online and they'll ship it out to you on the day it launches. iPods for example.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 09:16 AM

No, the fact that they are ALLOWED to do that is why advertising is mistrusted. With consumers having to sift through what statements are true and false, since advertisers are not required to explicitly state the truth. That in turn hurts marketing and advertising itself.

I am not a naive consumer and I am more than aware of this. I am talking from an international advertising perspective (having worked both in Europe and Australia). You however are being wilfully ignorant here, dulled by unrestricted consumer culture into acceptation of the sub-standard.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 09:34 AM

We used to have truth in advertising laws here, but we got rid of most of them. Why? Because companies would sue if you said your product was better than theirs and couldn't prove it. It was a stupid situation, and now we don't have to deal with any of that. (Of course, we do have laws that companies are not allowed to blatantly lie, but this would not fall under that.)

And it's not acceptance of the sub-standard. It's acceptance of the fact that we're not treated like idiots who need to have every little piece of information spelled out for us. We already know what "unlimited mobile to mobile" means, why go into further detail if it's unnecessary? Just for people outside of the intended market that aren't even eligible for the promotion?

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I agree the lack of IM is a major oversight, but who sends MMS phone-to-phone? I only ever send photos from my phone to email addresses.
Over here in Europe MMS is huge, which makes me thing we'll be getting a different version of the iPhone to you guys which hopefully includes MMS and 3G.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 09:52 AM

We used to have truth in advertising laws here, but we got rid of most of them. Why? Because companies would sue if you said your product was better than theirs and couldn't prove it. It was a stupid situation, and now we don't have to deal with any of that. (Of course, we do have laws that companies are not allowed to blatantly lie, but this would not fall under that.)
So instead of banning frivolous lawsuits you got rid of advertising laws. That's like fighting a headache by lopping off your own head.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
So instead of banning frivolous lawsuits you got rid of advertising laws. That's like fighting a headache by lopping off your own head.
Damn right, we nipped it in the bud! I do have a question, though - how do you ban only frivolous lawsuits?

And check it out, the only one in here that has a problem with the US law is Australian. Guess how many people care about how you think our laws should be set up.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 02:35 PM

Damn right, we nipped it in the bud! I do have a question, though - how do you ban only frivolous lawsuits?
Quite simple.

Make it the general rule to have frivolous lawsuits thrown out of court for wasting state resources, as in every other country, and then have the suing party pay for the costs incurred up to the point where the judge decides that the lawsuit is frivolous.

Effective deterrent.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 02:36 PM

And check it out, the only one in here that has a problem with the US law is Australian. Guess how many people care about how you think our laws should be set up.
Get stuffed.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Quite simple.

Make it the general rule to have frivolous lawsuits thrown out of court for wasting state resources, as in every other country, and then have the suing party pay for the costs incurred up to the point where the judge decides that the lawsuit is frivolous.

Effective deterrent.
That would be un-American though... think of the outcome... courts near emtpy, running on time, judges required to use common sense, half the lawyers in the country instantly out of a job....

Do you really want homeless lawyers roaming our streets?

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 03:23 PM

Well if I am sending email to another iPhone user I won't have to worry about this MMS limitation. My phone now (Nokia) is crap, a couple buttons stopped working, has froze, and its screen is too small to instant message. I do not expect video chat because the camera is on the otherside. I think we expect too much out of devices that do one thing very well. The original iPod was an MP3 player with more storage, a good form factor, and become an icon.
This is like a thread I saw a while ago where Horsepoo! expected Mac OS X 10.0 to have features that were not able to be implemented until recently and his talk about themes that were apparently better than the current one.
The iPhone is going to be a great phone, open the door to real email, web browser, and cell features that were not possible in the cell phone industry prior to its introduction. Just like the iPod there will be a lot of copy cats that will improve on features and introduce new ones. But a copy is not as good as the real thing.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Quite simple.

Effective deterrent.
That's fine, but how do you determine what is frivolous. It's not exactly a quantitative term.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 03:57 PM

That's fine, but how do you determine what is frivolous. It's not exactly a quantitative term.
That's why you have judges - yes, even you Americans.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2007, 04:06 PM

Let's all try and be civil, shall we?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 05:28 PM

'kay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules