Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another reason to buy a Japanese auto: Better resale value.

Another reason to buy a Japanese auto: Better resale value.
waxcrash
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 01:02 PM

Automotive Lease Guide (ALG) just released a new study. The figures from this study are used by banks and finance companies to set prices for leases. Their latest study has found that Honda, Toyota & Nissan will have better resale value after 3 years compared to Chevy, Ford & Dodge.

Here are the results of 2004 vehicles resale value after 3 years:

Compact car
Best: Mini Cooper
Worst: Kia Rio

Midsize car
Best: Honda Accord
Worst: Dodge Intrepid

Sports car
Best: Nissan 350Z
Worst: Mitsubishi Eclipse

Near luxury car
Best: Lexus ES330
Worst: Oldsmobile Aurora

Luxury car
Best: Mercedes CLK Class
Worst: Cadillac Seville

Minivan
Best: Honda Odyssey
Worst: Oldsmobile Silhouette

Compact SUV
Best: Honda CR-V
Worst: Chevrolet Tracker 4WD

Midsize SUV
Best: Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Worst: Isuzu Rodeo 4WD

Fullsize SUV
Best: Toyota Sequoia 4WD
Worst: Ford Excursion 4WD

Crossover utility vehicles
Best: Honda Pilot
Worst: Pontiac Aztek 4WD

Compact pickup
Best: Toyota Tocoma 4WD
Worst: Ford Ranger 4WD

Fullsize pickup
Best: Toyota Tundra 4WD
Worst: Dodge Ram 1500 Series 4WD

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2003, 01:06 PM

Code:
10 print "cash says:ya, if you want a boring vanilla car" 20 goto 10 30 end

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 01:08 PM

Interesting figures, but do people really buy their car based on resale value? If so, that's a truly terrible reason to buy a car. If you like toyotas and they've treated to well, stick to Toyotas. Do not buy a Toyota because of its resale value. Buy a car, keep the car until it's value is under $1000- give to child or charity.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

wifedoer68
Banned
Nov 11, 2003, 02:25 PM

They call the eclipse a sports car? I find that strange...

- Ca$h

Why would I argue this? I've never said anything to the contrary. What I've said is why would anyone purchase a brand new car? You drive it off the lot, you lose 3-4 thousand dollars instantly. Lame. Buy something used, either 1-3 years old, or if you have all the service records that proves it was properly maintained, it doesn't matter.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by petehammer:
Interesting figures, but do people really buy their car based on resale value? If so, that's a truly terrible reason to buy a car. If you like toyotas and they've treated to well, stick to Toyotas. Do not buy a Toyota because of its resale value. Buy a car, keep the car until it's value is under $1000- give to child or charity.

No, its really not a terrible reason. The WSJ had an article today explaining the importance of resale values. That 21,500 mini cooper would cost 289/month to lease while that 12,500 kia rio would only be $279. A much nicer car can be had at virtually the same lease rates if the residual value is higher. Same with Sequoia vs. expidition-nearly $150 savings per month in payments almost solely because of the residual value.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
No, its really not a terrible reason. The WSJ had an article today explaining the importance of resale values. That 21,500 mini cooper would cost 289/month to lease while that 12,500 kia rio would only be $279. A much nicer car can be had at virtually the same lease rates if the residual value is higher. Same with Sequoia vs. expidition-nearly $150 savings per month in payments almost solely because of the residual value.
To lease not buy the car (see title). And no one leases a car based soley on the lease price, right?
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 02:45 PM

To lease not buy the car (see title). And no one leases a car based soley on the lease price, right?

Whoops, I misread. That article was fresh off my mind. When buying a car residual is definitaly less important than when leasing. However, it is important. If there was a need to get rid of the car for some unforeseen reason you are much more likely to be upside down (and owe money) on a car with a crappy resale value.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Nov 11, 2003, 02:55 PM

I bought new three years ago, and I bought Japanese - a Toyota Yaris. At the time they were manufactured in Japan, though they are now made in France.

I thought long and hard before buying new;
-I knew that I'd be keeping the car for several years; have had it for three now
-I needed something reliable; I was doing 80 miles a day to/from work and it had a three year full warranty
-I needed something economical; it does 50mpg (that's UK gallons)
-I needed something cheap to run; servicing is cheap, road tax and insurance the same
-It was a new car, so there weren't any used ones around
-It was also European 'Car of the Year'
-I liked it; still do

Sometimes there is a case for buying new. I know that I'll have it for another few years, and I know that I have something I know inside out. I'll admit that it's more of a town car, but then most of my driving is urban rather than long distance - my wife has a Passat estate for the long journeys... when it's then more economical than mine - ack!

I don't think it's available in the US, so here it is;

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 03:02 PM

Looks *kinda* like the Echo. But is it a hatchback? The Echo has an ugly trunk deck on the back.

Does estate, as in Passat estate mean sedan or station wagon in American English?

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Nov 11, 2003, 03:10 PM

Looks *kinda* like the Echo. But is it a hatchback? The Echo has an ugly trunk deck on the back.

Does estate, as in Passat estate mean sedan or station wagon in American English?
[Looks at Toyota US website...] Hatchback; it's like the front two-thirds of the Echo...

[Looks at VW US website...] Station wagon!

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
[Looks at Toyota US website...] Hatchback; it's like the front two-thirds of the Echo...

[Looks at VW US website...] Station wagon!
Haha... thanks!

I don't like hatchbacks when they try to make them into coupes (a la the Echo). A hatchback on its own is just a very practical car.

Forum Links
Forum Rules