Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > G5 television ad banned in UK

G5 television ad banned in UK
soul searching
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 12:59 PM

Computer giant Apple has been banned by advertising watchdogs from claiming its latest product is �the world�s fastest, most powerful personal computer�.
Linkage.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 01:03 PM

I think they have stoped showing it anyway, I havent seen it in ages.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 01:05 PM

I wonder what the reason would be to censor such an ad. That is very sad indeed.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 01:11 PM

Isnt it sad when viewers actually call in to dispute the legitamacy of a computer ad? Must have nothing better to do over there.

Chris

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I wonder what the reason would be to censor such an ad. That is very sad indeed.
Not censor, ban. You generally have to tell the truth (or at least no outright lie) in UK advertising.
Apple stated thet the G5 was the fastest Etc. computer with no independent tests.

Mohammed Atef
Banned
Location: Fertiliser for opium poppies outside of Kabul, killed as I was attempting to flee the American infidel wrath and their righteous pursuit of justice.
Nov 10, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Germany also prohibits sweeping claims of superiority in advertising. Unless they've changed that law recently.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Nov 10, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Isnt it sad when viewers actually call in to dispute the legitamacy of a computer ad? Must have nothing better to do over there.

Chris
You've got to remember that over here we've only got three (ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5) channels that have adverts, unless people have satellite, cable or digital. That's why it's all rather more stringent than elsewhere. The majority of people probably still have only terrestrial - five channels of crap (the majority of the time) is more than enough. Also, breaks for adverts are not as frequent.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 01:38 PM

Isnt it sad when viewers actually call in to dispute the legitamacy of a computer ad?
Windows weenies - what did you expect?

Hmmm... Maybe I should point the ITC to the speed tables on distributed.net?

Must have nothing better to do over there.
Got that right.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:09 PM

In the UK any claim made in an ad must be true. It's not like this US TV with it's billions of ads claiming to make you look 20 years younger again, tablets to help you grow another two balls, exercise machines that will do the workout for you while you eat a Burrito on the couch, etc

Those controls have helped prevent such absurdity on UK TV. The thing called 'Free Speech' in the US is more like a 'Free For All'. Freedom comes with responsibility to your fellow man. If you tell someone you're selling them the fastest computer in the world and it's not then that can spark off customer complaints to consumer watchdogs, which is bad for Apple, and also lawsuits.

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
The thing called 'Free Speech' in the US is more like a 'Free For All'. Freedom comes with responsibility to your fellow man. If you tell someone you're selling them the fastest computer in the world and it's not then that can spark off customer complaints to consumer watchdogs, which is bad for Apple, and also lawsuits.
Exactly right.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:47 PM

I was thinking of complaining about an Intel Centrino Ad which shows a man surfing the net on top of mount Everest (In UK)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Mohammed Atef:
Germany also prohibits sweeping claims of superiority in advertising. Unless they've changed that law recently.
What's this about ? People posting even while they are baninated ? I've seen this before in other threads. How come ?

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
What's this about ? People posting even while they are baninated ? I've seen this before in other threads. How come ?
You forget that threads are generated dynamically: he could have posted, then gotted banned, and his status is updated each time a thread is read. Much like how one's postcount is updated.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Windows weenies - what did you expect?
Or pissed off Mac Weenies.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2003, 03:31 PM

Chris
Err, sorry, but I disagree. If I saw something false in an ad that I knew could misinform millions of people, I'd definite make time to call it in. That's the whole reason that there are groups such as Epinions.com(SM).

Unfortunately, not everybody knows about such product rating groups, and that is no excuse to shaft the innocents.

Otherwise, everybody would just lie, and the best lier would win.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right.

--DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by DekuDekuplex:
Err, sorry, but I disagree. If I saw something false in an ad that I knew could misinform millions of people, I'd definite make time to call it in. That's the whole reason that there are groups such as Epinions.com(SM).

Unfortunately, not everybody knows about such product rating groups, and that is no excuse to shaft the innocents.

Otherwise, everybody would just lie, and the best lier would win.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right.

--DekuDekuplex
So, you really don't have anything better to do then?

"Otherwise, everybody would just lie, and the best lier would win."

Welcome to North America.

Seriously though, I can see your point, but to call in over a computer ad which makes a claim which may or may not be true? It's not the end of the world.

Chris

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2003, 04:10 PM

I'm surprised. I could say just about anything on a US TV commercial. I guess the people in the US know not to believe everything you see/read.

faragbre967
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Mohammed Atef:

Am I the only one who found this funny so far?

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm surprised. I could say just about anything on a US TV commercial. I guess the people in the US know not to believe everything you see/read.
The problem is that not everybody knows where to look to verify claims. There's very little benefit to consumers if companies make claims and people don't know how or don't have the time somehow to verify them.

What usually winds up happening is that rampant false claims result in many ignorant customers getting duped into purchasing shoddy products or services because they don't know how to verify the claims efficiently ... which is exactly the reason that large-scale advertising works in the first place. That's the problem.

Witness the Epinion(SM) reviews on MacMall for some reports of what can happen.

The competition should be about the merits of the products, not the size of the producers' wallets.

--DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I guess the people in the US know not to believe everything you see/read.
I disagree. Look at the success of those fad-diets, those memory enhancer programs, and many other infomercials on US television. If you read the fine prints at the bottom of these ads. They are so small and pops up so fast many people don't even notice them. This to me is deceptive and misleading. Any ad that promotes or make outrageous claims should also state the fine print in big bold black fonts during or at the end of the ad like:

While we claim this diet will make you lose weight, the reality is that in our "scientific/independent test" we only asked 5 people. And from those 5, 2 lost weight. From this figure we got 40%.

The truth is that if you are fat, our products WILL NOT help you, but our ad will have you believe that it can. Have a nice day SUCKER.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 05:35 PM

The ITC is really in no position to decide the validity of this claim. I could understand if some reputable organizations disproved the Apple tests, but so far all that has been posted is just a bunch of 'he-said/she-said.'

Besides, if the ITC's regs are really that strict, you would think that someone would be reviewing ads beforehand. It's kind of a stretch to think that the ITC suddenly pulled these ads because of the complaints of eight viewers.

DAlex
Nov 11, 2003, 11:23 AM

Well, to be fair a centrino advert was pulled from newspapers/billboards e.t.c as it showed someone surfing wirelessly whilst sat in a chair at the edge of an ocean - it wasn't a realistic depiction of wireless working due to crap wireless coverage in the UK.

But for same reason it didn't get the same amount of coverage.....heck, even our little local paper the Western Mail here in Wales ran the apple ban story!

DAlex

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 12:16 PM

Could have been worse. The ad could have said the Power Mac is 'sexy'. I've read so many Mac magazines that have labelled hardware 'sexy'. Jeez, these people need to find a woman for themselves.

benign
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 12:17 PM

Eight viewers contacted the ITC to complain
Eight, just took eight windozer-nerds to ban it.

Simple Empire...

einmakom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:

Apple stated thet the G5 was the fastest Etc. computer with no independent tests.

Incorrect.

Apple commissioned testing by an independant lab which took place weeks before the G5 was announced.

http://www.veritest.com/clients/repo...erformance.pdf

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2003, 12:52 PM

So are they going to ban any Windows ads claiming that it's stable?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Yes. I'm sure I can find eight family members and friends.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Nov 11, 2003, 02:39 PM

Someone say stable?

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by einmakom:
Incorrect.

Apple commissioned testing by an independant lab which took place weeks before the G5 was announced.

http://www.veritest.com/clients/repo...erformance.pdf

"the claim was based on the results of limited tests in which the specification of the computers used was configured to give Apple the best results....the ITC found that the claim was not supported by independent reviews and that, at best, the G5 was only �generally as fast� as its competitors."
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Nov 11, 2003, 03:23 PM

That's pretty funny.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
UK ads don't claim its stable. They just show flying people being thrown into an early grave

beanbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 05:45 PM

they were way too specific.
Ad slogans have to really avoid being quantatative (ie: the "Best", "biggest", "fastest", etc)
If you claim that, you've gotta back it up . A disclaimer saying "as of (date) based on benchmarks by (company)" would have covered them

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by DAlex:
Well, to be fair a centrino advert was pulled from newspapers/billboards e.t.c as it showed someone surfing wirelessly whilst sat in a chair at the edge of an ocean - it wasn't a realistic depiction of wireless working due to crap wireless coverage in the UK.

But for same reason it didn't get the same amount of coverage.....heck, even our little local paper the Western Mail here in Wales ran the apple ban story!

DAlex
That Everest advert shows the guy flip open his laptop and instantly starts watching a 1/2 screen sized video of his kid that (presumably) he got in his email. Heck, I can't even get that kind of network speed with wired broadband in the middle of civilisation, never mind on the top of a mountain. In any case, if he's using WiFi, what the hell is his basestation plugged into ?

It's totally misleading advertising.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 10:44 PM

So why isn't Dell banned from advertising the "coolest" PC, or that they're "rock solid" when you can run WindowsME on it?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules