Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Seven Thousand Wounded US Soldiers Treated at One Hospital in Germany

Seven Thousand Wounded US Soldiers Treated at One Hospital in Germany
kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 11:57 AM

The data has been published by the European edition of "Stars and Stripes", the newspaper of the US Military:

More than 7,000 wounded US soldiers have been treated at a single US military hospital in Germany.
The counts of wounded treated at other US military hospitals is unknown.

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.or...le.asp?id=1272

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 11:59 AM

no no no no. The situation in Iraq is stable....STABLE!

Mohammed Atef
Banned
Location: Fertiliser for opium poppies outside of Kabul, killed as I was attempting to flee the American infidel wrath and their righteous pursuit of justice.
Nov 10, 2003, 12:09 PM

we all read the papers ourselves (well, except many of you who prefer Mullah Omar's radio show). Your topic is a waste of space and has no merit for discussion.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Mohammed Atef:
we all read the papers ourselves (well, except many of you who prefer Mullah Omar's radio show). Your topic is a waste of space and has no merit for discussion.
Not so, Atef?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 12:49 PM

You are a waste of space and have no merit, but do we complain? No we do the polite thing and just ignore you.

Mohammed Atef
Banned
Location: Fertiliser for opium poppies outside of Kabul, killed as I was attempting to flee the American infidel wrath and their righteous pursuit of justice.
Nov 10, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
You are a waste of space and have no merit, but do we complain? No we do the polite thing and just ignore you.
by all means ignore me. but it doesn't change the superfluous nature of this entire topic.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 01:06 PM

by all means ignore me. but it doesn't change the superfluous nature of this entire topic.
So superfluous that you already account for one third of the total number of posts in it!

Mohammed Atef
Banned
Nov 10, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
So superfluous that you already account for one third of the total number of posts in it!
and the other 2/3 are provided by your liberal ilk's combined idiocy. nothing new. It's still 3 against 1, and I hold my own.

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 01:23 PM

It's still 3 against 1, and I hold my own.
Yup, according to you.

BTW: I'm self-proclaimed king of the world.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 01:25 PM

and the other 2/3 are provided by your liberal ilk's combined idiocy.
Except that we don't think the thread is superfluous. You account for 30% of the posts in a thread you think is superfluous. So, you are somehow proud of the fact that you waste your time writing drivel in a thread that has no meaning. I wonder which is the greater idiocy - spending your time writing about things that mean something to you, or kneejerking to what you perceive as a liberal intellectual threat.

swrate
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by kvm_mkdb:
The data has been published by the European edition of "Stars and Stripes", the newspaper of the US Military:

More than 7,000 wounded US soldiers have been treated at a single US military hospital in Germany.
The counts of wounded treated at other US military hospitals is unknown.

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.or...le.asp?id=1272
Many boys will also suffer mental disorders, later on, and those are rarely numbered.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 07:10 PM

You are distorting what the article said.

The delegation made a stop at the military hospital in Landstuhl, which has treated more than 7,000 injured and ill servicemembers from the Iraq war.

Note that it says "injured and ill". They could be in the hospital for tripping over a rock and breaking their nose, having pneumonia or a heart attack, or even for advanced tests not feasible in field hospitals for non-combat related conditions.

Not sure what the point of the thread is.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 08:35 PM

It's still 3 against 1, and I hold my own.
Perhaps if you took your hand off it for a while...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 10, 2003, 08:41 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 7, 2004 at 12:45 PM. )

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:

Not sure what the point of the thread is.
<SNL CJ>
"Ohhhh.. I think you do, Trebek. I think you do, indeed!"
</SNL CJ>
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 07:10 PM

Except that we don't think the thread is superfluous. You account for 30% of the posts in a thread you think is superfluous. So, you are somehow proud of the fact that you waste your time writing drivel in a thread that has no meaning. I wonder which is the greater idiocy - spending your time writing about things that mean something to you, or kneejerking to what you perceive as a liberal intellectual threat.
he's right...buh-bye now...
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Lerkfish
Nov 11, 2003, 10:46 PM

I think the point is that a reliable accounting of deaths and injuries (and yes, even illnesses) is not readily available from the Bush administration.

The implication should be obvious...they don't want the american people to accurately weigh the cost.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 11:57 PM

Is there a reason that we should be informed how many soldiers have runny noses?
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 12:14 AM

Is there a reason that we should be informed how many soldiers have runny noses?
No, but I find your trivialization of the Butcher's Bill in your efforts to defend the administration to be reprehensible.

We deserve to know what this war is costing the American people, so that we can weigh with all the facts whether or not the war sold to us was worth the cost.

It's called transparency.

It's called accountability.

George "Dubya" Bush should be impeached for his deliberate attempts to block both of these lifelines of a democratically representative republic.

Without them, the whole process could at best be called a farce, or a sick joke. After all, Saddam Hussein was elected with 99% of the vote because there was no transparency or accountability in the political process in Iraq.

BlackGriffen

Lerkfish
Nov 12, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
No, but I find your trivialization of the Butcher's Bill in your efforts to defend the administration to be reprehensible.

We deserve to know what this war is costing the American people, so that we can weigh with all the facts whether or not the war sold to us was worth the cost.

It's called transparency.

It's called accountability.

George "Dubya" Bush should be impeached for his deliberate attempts to block both of these lifelines of a democratically representative republic.

Without them, the whole process could at best be called a farce, or a sick joke. After all, Saddam Hussein was elected with 99% of the vote because there was no transparency or accountability in the political process in Iraq.

BlackGriffen
excellent post.

Lerkfish
Nov 12, 2003, 01:01 AM

Is there a reason we should not?

soiled.panties
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 08:57 AM

Let's not forget. Wounded could mean a lost limb. Ya know, like a lost arm or leg. That **** should be reported. So for fun lets say. 6,000 colds, 1,000 once healthy limbs chilling' in bags. That's major in my book. Was it worth it. NOOOOOO.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." ~moki, 04/16/03

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
Is there a reason we should not?
I think you know the answer to that ... Vietnam, Somalia?

Lerkfish
Nov 12, 2003, 10:00 AM

I think you know the answer to that ... Vietnam, Somalia?
oh, *I* know the answer, just wanted him to realize it.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by soiled.panties:
Let's not forget. Wounded could mean a lost limb. Ya know, like a lost arm or leg. That **** should be reported. So for fun lets say. 6,000 colds, 1,000 once healthy limbs chilling' in bags. That's major in my book. Was it worth it. NOOOOOO.

Actually amputations are publicly reported frequently (or at least as they happen.) The last reports I read, from a special in the Detroit Free-Press about a week ago, was that there were about 100 amputations so far, mostly legs.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...today/11923139

As of Thursday, 218 U.S. troops have been killed in action and 1,609 wounded by enemy fire since the war began in March, a ratio of 7.4 to one.
Quite an impressive wartime figure, militarily speaking. So from that 7,000, we are looking about less than 1/5 of those visits being directly related to hostile combat. <edit: the NJSL article below, approximately 2.5 weeks newer, puts the number at 1900>

No, but I find your trivialization of the Butcher's Bill in your efforts to defend the administration to be reprehensible
I haven't mentioned bush once in this thread, put your panties back on.

Also, from this article I draw a few more conclusions.

The 7,000 figure is worthless as a tool in gauging the casualties of this war. Not only does it include figures from afghanistan and bosnia but also from other places. The number is not a secret, it's freely published in articles such as the above.

Maj. Marty Grossman estimates that the unit's doctors, nurses and other staff treated and stabilized 3,400 patients, along with an additional 4,500 more who did not require significant treatment

Oh, and what's this?

Many of the wounded, said unit officials, were not counted as battlefield casualties but suffered minor injuries or had flare-ups of pre-existing conditions such as heart ailments and needed to be shipped home.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 06:29 PM

"We deserve to know what this war is costing the American people, so that we can weigh with all the facts whether or not the war sold to us was worth the cost."

Freely available through common articles such as the ones I quoted above. 300 odd dead, 1900 wounded. (if you are talking human costs) If you have access to a computer it should be fairly easy to find these numbers in about 30 seconds.

"It's called transparency."

Are you looking for a little counter on the bottom on the newscast that counts upwards QVC-style everytime someone is hurt? What exactly do you want that you cannot get right now?

"It's called accountability."

And that's called election 2004.

"George "Dubya" Bush should be impeached for his deliberate attempts to block both of these lifelines of a democratically representative republic."

How has he "blocked" the accountability or transparency (personally) as it relates to this issue?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 08:49 AM

"We deserve to know what this war is costing the American people, so that we can weigh with all the facts whether or not the war sold to us was worth the cost."

Freely available through common articles such as the ones I quoted above. 300 odd dead, 1900 wounded. (if you are talking human costs) If you have access to a computer it should be fairly easy to find these numbers in about 30 seconds.
Obviously you weren't able to get the RIGHT numbers in these 30 seconds since it's 470 odd(?) dead "coalition" (prmpf) troops (401 US. american) and way over 2000 wounded. And since you are so much about the fate of "liberated" people, count the approximately 10.000 dead Iraqis in.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules