Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP not starting...

MBP not starting...
marzelino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2010, 02:13 PM

Hello, my mbp did not start affter a posible bad use i,ve done by deleting all diles suggested from the kist of the avast antivirus affter iit,s scan, i,m looking forward to get a copy of diskwarrior but is not that cheap and all i have to support is a old pc from where i.m writing this post for help, as i would like to recover ny files, specially my ebooks, fotos, etc. Please let me know what to do to restore it, thx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2010, 02:32 PM

More info please.

How far does it get? Grey Apple logo?
Boot holding command-S then follow the instructions for running fsck.

Do you have the original discs or a Snow Leopard DVD?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

marzelino  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2010, 02:42 PM

Hi, I,ll try my best to explain as either i,m an expert not english speaking.

All i have tried like short command is not working, the disk i have leopard only saids it can not install cause there is not 10.4 on it recognized and from its tools menus i tried also all shorts of comand i could find with no success like repair permissions and so on. I am asking you all here how to recover the files i deleted and restore my mac i believe there is some short of command like the restore in windows but no idea, please feel free again to ask me if you need some more details and thank you in advance. Greatings from malaga
Spain

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2010, 03:25 PM

OK. If you just deleted a few system files and your Mac won't boot any more, then follow these instructions:
Your Leopard disc sounds like a drop upgrade. These were put into the boxes of Macs which were already on shelves when Leopard was released, thats why it doesn't install without a Tiger install in place. You should have another couple of grey discs that came with your Mac. You need to boot from Disc 1 then when the installer gives you an options button click it and choose "Archive & Install", then start the installer going. It should actually force you to do Archive & Install anyway, but I like to be sure.

This will keep all your files but install a fresh copy of Mac OS. Any files it doesn't automatically put back in place you will be able to get from a folder called "Previous Systems". Before you move your files back from the Previous Systems folder, boot from the Leopard disc and install the upgrade. Then run software updates, then move your files back.

If you have deleted the files you are trying to get or you formatted the whole disk by accident, you are going to need some data recovery software for your PC. I haven't tried this one, but it looks good:
Data Recovery Mac. Macintosh Data Recovery Software. Recover HFS Partition & HFS+ Volume

Hope that makes sense. I'll try and clarify if you need me too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

marzelino  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2010, 05:41 PM

Hi, not that easy task.... the volume shows as non mounted and the mount does not work. so i guess i,ll have to create/delete partitions.... i thougtht the prob would be to archive and install while there is almost no empty space on the disk 111Gb almost full of data.... maybe just say a prayer for me cause now i will start doing things.... like triyng to format the disk in order to get it mounted..... I also have the disks from tiger as you did mention in your previous post shall i try the installing from them instead from the install disks?, maybe is already too late...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 05:36 AM

If you format the disk then mounting it isn't going to get your data back. If its not mounted then either the disk is faulty or you have really corrupted it badly somehow. Either way you need some data recovery software to scan the disk to try and retrieve your data.
If the drive won't mount at all it sounds like it has a hardware fault to me. I would get a new hard disk and a copy of Filesalvage or similar.

marzelino  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2010, 01:23 PM

Hello There,

sorry for delayng so much but i,m still working on the issue; i would like to thank you and tell You how i guess things happens i.o. to help; my MBP with its 111GB HD or so was gettimg slow and corrupted with only 4 or 5 GB free space, specially while surfing and i suspected on virus? as i never had antivirus i tried avast for mac and affter results i decided to say YES to delete all the files wich were presented by it,s scan, that day i was working no prob. abd next morning the computer just wont start. With my slow pc i started looking for the solution and try some of the commands and utilities... no success and almost did no results except when i followed some of the intruction posted here Invalid node structure under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Devlab wich made the disk to became sometimes mounted and sometimes unmounted. Yesterday i decided to try a new install as i could not get diskwarrior to work for me since my pc was unable to record it with its dvd. So now i have a blank 10.5 on my MBP and salvage its running... i guess too long for affter its founded pdf, jpge, ppt, doc, avi, ans some sit but no zip, no programms and no macjournal i,m triyng just to save some of the files to the kingston but i,m considering to abort it for the long delay. Now my purpose is to get my data back as soon and clear as possible.

All the best!
( Last edited by marzelino; Aug 13, 2010 at 05:15 PM. )

marzelino  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2010, 09:15 AM

Hello There,

for now i have a breath and hope; and want to share it with you all; the programm Data Rescue is doing the job, i tested diskwarrior(pretty clever machine but it takes too many decisions on its own), Filesalvage(does rename the files so you lost original file names and freezes a lot), DR founded better and quicker my files and it,s saving them bit by bit to a Kingston PDrive, i do not know of any thing better, if you do i want to know it too, about me, i,m happy with this breathe, thank you for your attention and support.

All the Best!

Forum Links
Forum Rules