Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Altec Lansing 621 vs. FX6021 (or other speakers)

Altec Lansing 621 vs. FX6021 (or other speakers)
plamparello
Aug 2, 2004, 07:28 PM

I am looking for a nice new set of speakers. I do not need a home entertainment system so i'm just looking at a 2.1 set most likely. I currently have the 621 and am able to sell them for a great price ($150). The new FX6021 are around 200 dollars so the difference would be only 50 dollars. The only thing is that I THINK the old 621's might be better? I am looking more for sound quality (even though i know the FX6021's look nicer, have a remote and match my powerbook very good).

I am also open to looking at klipsh or possibly logitec (it is even possible to get a 5.1 system)

Basically what I'm looking for is what is the best computer speaker system (in your opinion) on the market now.

Phil
plamparello

TiDual
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2004, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by plamparello:
The new FX6021 are around 200 dollars so the difference would be only 50 dollars. The only thing is that I THINK the old 621's might be better? I am looking more for sound quality (even though i know the FX6021's look nicer, have a remote and match my powerbook very good).

Phil
I can't provide a comparison, but the FX6021's are stunning in my view. The match particularly well with the new 23" cinema display, which is why I decided to consider them. Sound is incredible, in my view, but sure there might be something better. I think the "looks" advantage is really on there if you've got a new (alu) cinema display.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 08:53 AM

Got the Logitech Z-3 's look really good with new Powemac as can take the covers off and are a nice silver alloy. The sub box is also a beech wood effect, which ties in perfectly with my new ikea desk!

Sound is awesome compared to stock pc speakers, nice kick with the sub. For the money [i paid �50] they are a total bargain

TiDual
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by bells0:
Got the Logitech Z-3 's look really good with new Powemac as can take the covers off and are a nice silver alloy. The sub box is also a beech wood effect, which ties in perfectly with my new ikea desk!

Sound is awesome compared to stock pc speakers, nice kick with the sub. For the money [i paid �50] they are a total bargain
In fact that's exactly what I had before getting the Altec's ... I agree the Z-3's are good value ... but the Altec's really are a different league .. both for appearance and sound quality (*six* drivers in each speaker, and you can tell).

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 04:48 PM

I currently own some Labtec APX-4620's that I've had for about 4 or 5 years and I've been very satisfied with their sound. In fact I continue to like them above the speaker sets that my roommates have been getting (Logitech Z-3's, Altec Lansign 251's... well, not exactly top notch sets anyway). However, the headphone port makes a terribly loud buzzing sound these days, and the wire linking the satellites to the subwoofer seems to be going (I loose sound in the right speaker from time to time and I have to jiggle the wires). Normally, though, the speakers still sound great, so I'm hesitant to buy anything at all.

I'm seriously considering the Altec Lansign FX6021's which certainly LOOK great. I don't need the heart-pounding ear-bleeding bass and sound that some people do (my Labtec's don't have the heaviest bass, but what is there is very good sounding to me, not just thumping like some systems), I'm looking for accurate clear sound, and based on reviews the 6021's seem to deliver that. Their feature set is also nice (remote control and an auxiliary input jack). There are also the VS4121's which I had a listen to at BestBuy, but I'm not sure how they compare to my Labtec's (which have 7 drivers in each speaker, even more than the 6021's, though maybe it's no big deal) in the same listening environment.

An important factor for sure is buzzing or hissing sound coming from the speakers when silent. I don't want any of that at all. My Labtec's are absolutely silent, and since I use a PowerBook any hissing would be very easy to hear and bothersome. So I may not be in the market to buy at all, or maybe sometime next year, but if anyone has any opinions on my APX-4620's vs. the Altec FX6021's or VS4121's (I have special interest in these as I'm going to be buying speakers for someone as a Christmas present, and they are very affordable in comparison), I'd really like to hear.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Sep 21, 2004 at 07:10 PM. )

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 09:58 PM

I'd go with the Edirol MA-20D. Very nice looking, but what is really important is the sound, they sound great! I have these hooked up to my G5 with the optical connectors, the sound is stunning.

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ma20d.html

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...51#post2195451

And as always, my signature says it all...
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules