Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple TV

Apple TV (Page 4)
mduell
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
In theory this is PERFECT, in play not so much, there were so many problems with cable cards (not to mention monthly fees for 2 of them!) it was not worth the trouble. There are horror stories all over the net, but when it works I guess its pretty great, except you get no on-demand, for that I will stick with my DirecTV that I can take with me state-to-state
I've heard the scattered reports about bad experiences with CableCards; the early adopters got bit, but it's pretty easy now that the cable companies are used to it.
What's the usage scenario for on-demand? I had it with Comcast and I never watched it once. With Netflix (disks and streaming) there was never any significant back-catalog I wanted to watch through that awful interface.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Just implement CableCard and an NTSC tuner and they've got 90%+ of the realistic userbase covered. Like, you know, TiVo HD.

For the same money, you can get an Apple TV or a TiVo HD + the new Netflix set-top box. Personally I see a lot more value and functionality in the latter combination, but I acknowledge that the latter two require subscriptions.

Will the CableCard work with systems that use Smart Cards?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Will the CableCard work with systems that use Smart Cards?
A CableCard is a type of smart card, but the only "Smart Card" based system I've heard of is DirectTV which is not compatible with CableCard.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2008, 07:17 PM

I believe that Dish Network also uses the SmartCart, as does Bell ExpresVu in Canada... This is where complexity starts to creep in that Apple would have to find a way to overcome. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is a feasible way for them to do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules