Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Black Screen when saved? Please help it's urgent.

Black Screen when saved? Please help it's urgent.
HyperGothic2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 08:21 PM

Okay, I'm a video wiz. I just got my new Mac, because it's great for movies and graphics apparently. But all my videos for my clips that were transfered from my windows computer were .AVI files, so I searched endlessly for a converter to convert it to something my Mac would understand. I tried the DIVx AVI codec for Mac, which caused pixilation, the audio being out of sync, the audio skipping, and the character's faces turning transparent except for their mouths and eyes (don't ask me how that happened). So, I downloaded the DIVx Doctor for Mac and then downloaded the 3ivx Mpeg-4 Trial Codec because it was said to be required for DIVx Doctor to work. Then I converted my some 34+ .AVI files into .MOV files and imported them into Imovie. Some of the things I noticed were that Imovie laged at the beginning of the clips, sometimes the characters faces were transparent except for their mouths and eyes (I don't know how that happened because the files were FMVs (Full Motion Videos) from the videogame Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2) the video pixilized, and Imovie put all my FMVs into one event, along with my other two events that I had in my library (Video game captures from my Isight camera). I didn't think much of it, because when I worked with Windows Movie Maker and my Sony Vegas Trial (which I found really complicated and limited from what Sony Vegas actually has in it). When I was done with my movie, which is 4:03 total, with some 20 clips in it. It also involved random peices of music and some of Imovie's built in sound effects. When I went to publish my video to Youtube from the share option, everything went well untill Imovie tried to connect to Youtube and I got this error:

Communication Problem

There was a problem communicating with the YouTube server. Try simplifying the description, title, and tags.

I tried revising my tags and checking my internet connection, and all was fine. I could connect to Youtube through Safari just fine. I tried it again, and when I got a error message, I tried exporting through quicktime. It opened, but there was no video clips (it was black but I had audio, music, and my voiceovers. I then tried it again, and it didn't work. Then I exported it through ITunes and the file was the same, no video clips, full audio. I did some research, and I found one topic on this problem.

Here and Here.
(They are both by the same person and both unanswered)

WookieG, the person who wrote the two posts, said that his preferences were corrupted. I checked my preferences and found nothing wrong with them.

Preferences

[ ] Show date ranges in event list
[ ] Use large font for project and event lists
[+] Show "play" reminder in viewer
[ ] Clips in Event browser user project crop setting
[+] Exit fullscreen mode after playback is finished
[ ] Check for Imovie updates automatically

Fullscreen playback size = Entire screen
Extend buttons add = 1.0s
---------------
Clicking in events browser selects= 4.0s
[+] Add Automatic transition duration

Video standard: NTSC - 30 tps
changes take effect next time you start Imovie.

Import 1080i video as: Large - 960x540
This setting has no effect for DV, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 video.
Selecting large significantly reduces the file size with little image quality loss.

[ ] Show advanced tools
Enableds dual mode bar, keywording controls and direct trimming.

What it says on the box:

-20 Inch (viewable) widescreen active-matrix LCD display
-2HGHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
-4MB shared L2 cache
-1gb of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM; supports up to 4GB
-Slot Loading Superdrive
-ATI Radeon HD 2600 pro graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
-Built In Isight camera
-Built in 10/100/1000 base-T ethernet
-Firewire 800 ports
-Built in Airport Extreme
-Built In Bluetooth
-DVI video output3, VGA video output4, S-video and composite video output5
-Included Software:
Mac OS X (Tiger I think)
Front Row,
Spot-light,
Dashboard,
Mail (not in use),
Ichat AV6(not in use),
Safari,
Adressbook,
Quicktime,
ILIFE,
Photobooth,
Ical & more.

I'm used to doing troubleshooting like this because WMM constantly had issues with Codecs, things uninstalling themselves and other things, but if you need more information you can send me a e-mail at [email protected]

The computer was purchased September 17th, 2007, so it's fairly new.

How to save to .Imovie format?

DIVx Codec that I downloaded
DIVx Doctor that I downloaded
3ivx Mpeg-4 codec that I downloaded for DIVx Doctor which is said to be required
Clips were from here in .AVI format

UPDATES:

I uninstalled DIVx and then tried it, then uninstalled 3ivx and then tried it, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the codecs, except for now the preview window only shows black with audio and the clips don't work.
I don't own F.C.E.
( Last edited by HyperGothic2; Sep 21, 2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: UPDATES)

Forum Links
Forum Rules