Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Installation on New HDD

Panther Installation on New HDD
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 12:34 AM

Aloha,

My OEM copy of Panther arrived and I plan to first install it on a partition on a brand new (empty, clean) hard drive. A few questions:

1) I'd like the installation to transfer all of my files and applications over from my current HDD with Jaguar. Do I do the basic installation of Panther onto the new HDD and then will Setup Assistant do all of the transfering?

2) A question about the new hard drive. Once I get it physically installed in my G4 PowerMac, is my next step to partition it with Disk Utility and then do the Panther installation? Or is there something else I have to do in there (like format, or is partitioning the same as formatting)?

Thanks!

PS: I know, Tiger is out, yada yada yada
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 21, 2005, 02:06 AM

I don't recall any Power Mac G4s coming with an OEM copy of Panther that included the setup assistant that copied files for you... someone is breaking their license agreement.

Anyway, the easy thing for you would be Carbon Copy Cloner--before installing Panther.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Detrius
I don't recall any Power Mac G4s coming with an OEM copy of Panther that included the setup assistant that copied files for you... someone is breaking their license agreement.

Anyway, the easy thing for you would be Carbon Copy Cloner--before installing Panther.
Thanks for the reply. I think it's not technically an OEM copy of Panther (10.3.5). It's the system restore DVD's that were shipped with eMacs that also happen to be universal installers. They were from over production runs and Apple sold them, complete with licenses, to OWC.

It's the exact same packet that you would receive if you bought a new eMac pre Tiger. Thus I don't think any license has been broken.

The literature says it has setup assistant but doesn't go into detail about what it can do, hence my questions.
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 12:19 AM

Cool. I trust OWC to be legal (I don't trust e-Bay sellers to be legal, though).

Yes, the assistant automatically opens after a clean install. However, I'm not certain as to whether or not it works with FireWire hard drives. I think the 10.3 version is limited to target disk mode Macs, but I'm not certain about that.

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a new internal Seagate HD that should arive any day from Amazon (200GB for $80) that I will install, and then do a clean install of Panther, and then migrate stuff from the original internal HD to the new one. The old HD will become a backup to a backup.

I realize this is splitting hairs, but should I run the 10.3.9 combo updater before I migrate stuff over with setup assistant, or does it not matter one way or the other?
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Starry Night
Thanks for the reply. I have a new internal Seagate HD that should arive any day from Amazon (200GB for $80) that I will install, and then do a clean install of Panther, and then migrate stuff from the original internal HD to the new one. The old HD will become a backup to a backup.

I realize this is splitting hairs, but should I run the 10.3.9 combo updater before I migrate stuff over with setup assistant, or does it not matter one way or the other?
You already have 10.3.5, which is a pretty stable OS (when compared to some of the early versions of Panther). I wouldn't bother doing it before transferring.

Forum Links
Forum Rules