Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And she's back! (Doctor Who Season 9, not Ca$h)

And she's back! (Doctor Who Season 9, not Ca$h) (Page 3)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I haven't hated her, or even the companions, but I have had issue with some of the writing not being up to snuff.
I’ve also heard many complaints about the writing, but the show isn’t a stranger to that, and has had plenty of people in the role who shine through despite the absolute garbage they’re given to work with.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 28, 2020 at 04:26 PM. )

Thorzdad
Jan 28, 2020, 06:31 PM

Uneven, or even shamefully bad, writing is kind of a Who tradition, honestly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2020, 07:07 AM

Random reminiscing about the original series.

John Nathan Turner ruined it.

That is all. Carry on.

Thorzdad
Jan 29, 2020, 09:51 AM

>SPOILER< An interview with show-runner Chris Chibnall in which he addresses one of the primary fan theories coming out of this episode.

andi*pandi
Feb 5, 2020, 05:40 PM

Catching up:
Orphan 55: Not bad, vacations going wrong is a well-loved trope on Who... but did not need the anvils at the end (really, it was Earth? No way! at least russia not england...) nor the 15 minute speech about how we all could prevent this timeline from occurring. Timeline? Does Who do timelines now? Main issues: a) did not have to be earth; b) spend more time with characters please; c) don't let the daughter off so easily for killing all those people due to mommy issues. My son straight out said "she's a terrorist!"

Tesla's Nightmare: Could have been more fun and clever, but mostly enjoyable especially the edison/tesla bickering. Did not care for scorpion queen, her voice was grating, she was OTT. I think they just wanted a tesla tower to zap a spaceship, which I agree was pretty cool.

It seems bits are cut out, maybe because we are watching on tv not streaming whole.

andi*pandi
Jun 17, 2020, 12:15 PM

Well we finally finished... between finding time everyone could watch together. Very disappointing and confusing ending. I enjoyed a lot of the Byron/Shelley episode, and some other bits... The black woman doctor in itself is a fine idea, but that she was before the 1st doctor... yet had a police box... what? As much as I love Gallifrey-related stories, this did not seem to be that.

So if Chibnall and the writers are tossing out canon and rewriting the show they need to do it credibly. I loved the idea of a timeless child ancestor (opens up options of other dimensions, etc) but that it was the doctor, as the progenitor of the entire time lord race?... who must be basically immortal... they did not sell that. It seemed they just wanted to a) blow up Gallifrey; b) have cyber-time-lords (granted looked cool), c) let the master monologue all over.

Sigh. What makes science fiction work is creating a world where impossible things happen, and making us believe them by basing them on certain truths. Canon. This...

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2020, 09:07 AM

I think they p****d so much away. So much waste. The Master: wasted. The last Cyberman:wasted, New cool black doctor: wasted. Weird unkillable policeman thread: unravelled. Captains Jacks cameo: ashes in our mouths now.
The Doctor is supposed to be a lone hero, a traveller just doing right because it's right, not the long lost superhero father of an entire race character.

OK so Dr Who could be said to be sometimes overburdened with canon, particularly the weird stuff the "fans" keep bringing to the party but in the end its always just ignored the bits that really did need ignoring. Now it has all new canon, that no-one really cares about at all.

Maybe next year...
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2020, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Random reminiscing about the original series.

John Nathan Turner ruined it.

That is all. Carry on.
I have no idea what made me say this.

I’m not wrong, but feel the need to add I can’t really blame him. If I had been hosed by the BBC like he was, I’d have ruined it too.

That is all. Carry on.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2020, 07:06 AM

I have no idea what made me say this.

I’m not wrong, but feel the need to add I can’t really blame him. If I had been hosed by the BBC like he was, I’d have ruined it too.

That is all. Carry on.
JNT did some good stuff as well. McCoy's doctor was conspicuously ambitious as a character especially compared to earlier incarnations. In many ways he was a prototype for what the doctor has become today.

He also made sure that the stories were usually pretty meaty and interesting. And he gave us one of the all time great companions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2020, 07:53 PM

Which one? Adric or Mel?

Did you really expect me to ignore such an easy setup?

For real, though. Who are you thinking? Ace? Tegan? Turlough is one of my all-time faves, but he bailed so quickly.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2020, 08:16 AM

Which one? Adric or Mel?

Did you really expect me to ignore such an easy setup?

For real, though. Who are you thinking? Ace? Tegan? Turlough is one of my all-time faves, but he bailed so quickly.
Obviously I meant Ace.

the others where fine and Turlough was an interesting attempt at a flawed companion.

Aah Adric. Your maths didn’t help you in the end did they! Perhaps you should have worn a shorter skirt like Nysa or a tighter top like Peri

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2020, 09:00 AM

I don't remember any of them except for Ace. Sophie Aldred wasn't it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jun 23, 2020, 10:30 AM

We didn't get many of the 7th doctor stories on our PBS station so there is a huge gap in my Ace viewing, although I've read some books with her.

Modern Who is on HBO Max now... Where else to see all episodes of Doctor Who now?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2020, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Aah Adric. Your maths didn’t help you in the end did they! Perhaps you should have worn a shorter skirt like Nysa or a tighter top like Peri
Or a banana-hammock like Turlough.

I loved Adric as a kid. I think mostly because he was also a kid. As an adult, I can better see how obnoxious he was. It’s the reverse with Peri. I disliked her as a kid, but as an adult I realized Nicola Bryant is really good, she just got handed an outsized shit sandwich every single episode. That’s by far my biggest beef with JNT.

Mel was horrible all around. Nyssa was dull, but along with Turlough, it was nice to have some companions who weren’t clueless about the greater universe.

That leaves Tegan and Ace. I like Ace, but as andi mentioned, the way we got episodes was strange. Any Ace episodes I’ve seen, I’ve only seen once or twice, while the rest of them I’ve seen repeatedly. So for me, Tegan is more iconic, just due to the exposure.

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2020, 12:19 PM

Tegan was interesting because she was one of the few companions who didn't seem all immediately thrilled with everything. Her cynicism was a breath of fresh air.
I liked Peri but they did write her badly, and the costuming...

Mel was grating. Almost as grating as CARROT JUICE.

Romana was my favorite, both versions. I wish NuWho would remember Romana exists. And, while they are visiting gallifrey, Leela was there too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2020, 02:21 PM

There really was a golden age of companions starting with Jo Grant and ending with Romana. She was another one I flipped on. I preferred Ward as a kid but like Tamm more now (Ward was still excellent, though).

What I liked about Tamm is she was also kind of the clueless human despite being a Time Lord, which worked well with how much the Baker era made out Time Lords to be squares.

The “problem” with Ward Romana is she was too over-powered. Not much challenge you can throw at two Time Lords and a dog who shoots lasers.

Saw Ward at a convention as a kid, where the following exchange took place during the Q&A.

Q: What’s was the best prank someone played while you were on the show?
A: My marriage.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 17, 2020, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I thought that this was a Ca$h thread. *leaves disappointed*
Awwww.

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2020, 12:05 PM

A++ use of gif

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2020, 11:36 PM

From “Keeper of Traken”. 80s hair is the best.

That is all. Carry on.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2020, 04:10 PM

From “Keeper of Traken”. 80s hair is the best.

That is all. Carry on.
Not spooky at all!!!

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2020, 04:18 PM

I’m really impressed by how those eyes can be both creepy and ridiculously bad at the same time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules