Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anybody here want to build a cluster of Dual Gigs?

Anybody here want to build a cluster of Dual Gigs?
imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 03:08 PM

Setting up a cluster is easy enough to set up using PowerMac G4's that even eleven year olds can do it! Read on!

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,50078,00.html
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 03:14 PM

Well, I can't say much for the originality of Wired's praise for Appe ("Apple said this, Apple said that") but the report on clusters is interesting. I wonder how many G4s you need to rival ASCI White.

Hey cool! You can run a Pooch network on Airport! This doesn't make much difference to me, though. In fact, it makes no difference to me. I;m only interested in distributed computing for use of clutsers, i'm not making a pHd on fish migration patterns in a nuclear snowstaorm. SETI would be good on a Pooch network of $1000 iMacs. You could divvy up a single WU to 8 iMacs and be done in less than a n hour,.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: cdhostage ]
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2002, 03:35 PM

Too bad this wasn't more useful for stuff like Java.

BTW - some programs - I know After Effects allow parallel processing for rendering effects on sequenced tiffs. Not useful for most people, but it is available.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2002, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG> SETI would be good on a Pooch network of $1000 iMacs. You could divvy up a single WU to 8 iMacs and be done in less than a n hour,.</STRONG>
That's not true. The app still has to be able to use the cluster. There is no point in using a cluster for DC, since the DC project already IS a cluster of sorts.
If you used the pooch thing (BTW, I did use this app to cluster my comps for fun once), it will send seti to one comp, and the others will be idle. You could just buy a bunch of imacs and run seti on each
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

nana2
Senior User
Jan 30, 2002, 05:30 PM

You'll get maximum perormance/$ by using very cheap Athlons in a cluster

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 11:53 PM

Athlons would be cheaper but this works with the network of Macs you've already got. Appleseed clusters are VERY easy to impliment. You literally drop a program onto the Pooch icon and it runs on all the systems in the cluster. There isn't much more to it. While not superior to some clustering solutions Appleseeds are definitely much easier to set up. In order to match the computing power (though maybe not throughput) of ASCI White you'd need about 361 DP 1GHz PMs. ASCI White is composed of a huge number of RS/6000s with a grand total of 8,192 POWER3 processors. However there is a drawback to the G4 processor being that it gets 20GFLOPS with the use of the AltiVec processing unit where SPEC only uses the FPU on the processor. If you were going to get the full power of the Mac based ASCI White duke out cluster you'd need to feed it only programs that took full advantage of the vector processing of the G4. The Appleseed project home page is here if you're interested in the real deal and not just the Wired story. This project has been going on for a little while now. Really if you're interested check the project out, the page to set up the whole shebang is just that a page and has three steps.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules