Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any good alternatives to Google Earth for OS 9

Any good alternatives to Google Earth for OS 9
PSST
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 09:44 PM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good program that works like Google Earth for viewing places on earth by satellite images in OS 9? Also, what about a Astronomy program like Starry Night for OS 9 as well?

Does anyone know where I can find Starry Night Pro version 3 for OS 9?

-Thanks.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 11:35 PM

google earth: no.

Get over it: OS9 is five or six years old.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
OS9 is five or six years dead.
Fixed.™

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 06:22 AM

Damn, who died and made you guys GODS??? LOL.

Actually if you want to get technical OS 9 has been toast for 4 years at the mock funeral by SJ.

OS 9 or OS X who cares, I'm using a Macintosh. Nuff said.

Is there anyone that can help WITHOUT insulting me? Please?

Thanks.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2006, 08:18 PM

There's a big difference between OS 9 and OS X and hardly anyone develops for OS 9 any more so finding the same functionality in a new app for an app under a dead system will be very difficult. You can't expect developers to keep supporting outdated technology forever. It's easy to be complacent about your own choice but you have to think how much a headache developers would have if they had to support you all. Most quite rightly just stop developing for OS 9 and all developers should. My dad is the same way and he still insists on using OS 9 all the time and complains when things don't work and then says 'well it works in OS X but I want to use OS 9' and I just tell him to stop being an ass.

It's not about forcing anyone to do what they don't want - a lot of people feel that anyone saying to upgrade is attacking their choices and so they dig their heels in - when in fact it's more like tempting people over to a better system. It's a big change but one for the better so please seriously consider a permanent change.

The only thing I can suggest that might come close to Google Earth functionality under OS 9 is the online Microsoft website:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx

I only got it to work in Firefox. At first it looks like an atlas but instead of providing blurry images for undefined areas, Microsoft uses an atlas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules