Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you like Paul McCartney?

Do you like Paul McCartney?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 05:50 PM

In some circles, saying you like Macca is enough to get estranged.

Even tho Lennon is the more iconic of the pair, I certainly like a lot of McCartney songs. For instance:

-Eleanor Rigby
-Penny Lane
-Yesterday
-Yellow Submarine

And after all, A Day In the Life would have been dreadfully boring without his contribution (and vice versa).

I even like Band on the Run.

His collaboration with Lennon genuinely was 50/50 for a lot of hit songs, like All My Loving.

Anyways my point is that I get sick of people putting down McCartney's musical talent, and I want to know if anyone at NN agrees with me on this.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 06:10 PM

My ranking of the Beatles from my favorite to least favorite:

John
Paul
Ringo
George

This isn't on musical talent, just how well I like them. John is my favorite musically, but I did like a lot of Paul's songs too.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

MarathonDeskMount
Baninated
Jul 24, 2006, 06:25 PM

I like em all. Lennon was probably my least favorite actually. Harrison was awesome, so was Paul, and Ringo ... well... he was a really good drummer. Lennon just turned all weird thanks to yoko.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 06:30 PM

I liked him as a member of the Beatles. I liked him more than the other three, who I also really liked. I liked him when he was with Wings. I liked him as a solo artist. I like him as a songwriter. I like him as a rock icon. I like his attitude, sense of humor, down to earth humility and his lifestyle. What little I know of it.

I was very sad for him and her when I learned Linda was diagnosed and subsequently succumbed to cancer.

After seeing their interaction together on a talk show I questioned his judgment in marrying Heather Mills. But I wish her well.

To answer your question:

Yes.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 07:05 PM

Paul McCartney post-Beatles? No, not at all. His storming around this past Grammies in which he didn't win is proof enough that his "down to earth humility" is an easily discerned facade.

I'm a Ringo fan, myself.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 07:15 PM

Unfortunately, McCartney has always been somewhat of a cheesy dweeb.

And when you start talking about his down-to-earthness and humility, please remember the controversy over the order of "Lennon and McCartney" (or the vice versa, if you will.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 07:16 PM

'Band on the Run' and the single from Chaos and Creation are his only two post-Beatles songs which I like.

But by the same token, Lennon's solo career wasn't a whole lot better. I mean, his album Imagine was influential for the hippie types, but for the average listener like me, is it really that good? Starting Over is a good song, but everything else is just creepy ('Beautiful Boy') or preachy ('Imagine', 'Give Peace a Chance')

A lot of his Yoko inspired stuff is awful, like 'Mother'

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 07:29 PM

my sister was in love with paul. but she was also in love with speed racer when younger.

i love paul. he has a LOT of great post beatles songs

hands over the water
live and let die
silly love songs
my love
and a lot more

lennon had the best version of stand by me i think
starting over
so this is christmas
number 9 dream
whatever get's you through the night

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
lennon had the best version of stand by me i think
Except for some guy named Ben E. King

I like McCartney. He's probably my favorite Beatle. Solo-wise, I think "My Sweet Lord" alone makes George my favorite.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

MarathonDeskMount
Baninated
Jul 24, 2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Paul McCartney post-Beatles? No, not at all. His storming around this past Grammies in which he didn't win is proof enough that his "down to earth humility" is an easily discerned facade.

I'm a Ringo fan, myself.
I like Ringo...but he was sorta 'just the drummer'.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Except for some guy named Ben E. King

I like McCartney. He's probably my favorite Beatle. Solo-wise, I think "My Sweet Lord" alone makes George my favorite.
yep but growing up in the 70s lennon's version was the song.

i love my sweet lord mmm my lord

hari chrishna, hari hari

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 09:34 PM

i may be wrong, but ringo's photograph was the first post beatles number 1 song of any of the 4

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
i may be wrong, but ringo's photograph was the first post beatles number 1 song of any of the 4
No, I think it was actually "My Sweet Lord" in early 1971 IIRC.
( Last edited by lavar78; Jul 24, 2006 at 09:51 PM. )

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

iRussel
Jul 25, 2006, 04:23 AM

Personally I think Paul is a complete ass. Musically ok but aside from that nada. Did you catch that bit of him with the baby seals lately, what a joke.
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

Dr.Michael
Jul 25, 2006, 05:01 AM

Together with Lennon he had some great songs.
Afterwards - at least I don't like his music at all.
Clearly shows who had the talent.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Together with Lennon he had some great songs.
Afterwards - at least I don't like his music at all.
Clearly shows who had the talent.
If you question the level of Paul McCartney's talent, then in my opinion you show how little you know about the subject. There's no questioning his talent. Even with the Beatles, I think that perhaps McCartney had the lion's share of the songwriting, and he certainly crafted the "perfect pop song" concept.

I do agree with his post-Beatles work, however. With the exception of stuff like that of Ram, it's just far too sugary for me - lacking that wild balance that Lennon brought to the table....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Dr.Michael
Jul 25, 2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
If you question the level of Paul McCartney's talent, then in my opinion you show how little you know about the subject. There's no questioning his talent. Even with the Beatles, I think that perhaps McCartney had the lion's share of the songwriting, and he certainly crafted the "perfect pop song" concept.

I do agree with his post-Beatles work, however. With the exception of stuff like that of Ram, it's just far too sugary for me - lacking that wild balance that Lennon brought to the table....

greg
I don't question his talent. Its no doubt that he is talented. I also must say that since I don't like his music at all, my post Beatles knowledge is (indeed - you are right) incomplete.

But there is also no doubt that the songs he did with the Beatles have this small special difference which makes songs great instead of good. Most Lennon songs have that too. So my guess is that the team John/Paul got more out of Paul than he alone is able to do and thats mostly because he teamed with John Lennon.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 11:46 AM

Weird, I had a dream of Paul last night. All I remember is that I was asking him something about his song "Monkberry Moon Delight".

Never cared much for most of his his post-Beatles work, but I can't deny he's brilliant as a songwriter/musician.

He's barely known a time when he wasn't one of the most revered musicians in the world, and ego often accompanies brilliance.

My best friend knows a friend of Paul's, and it's a matter of time before he gets to meet him, the bastard. Oh well, maybe I'll get a t-shirt.

John and Paul together was a classic case of the whole being bigger than the sum of its parts.

BTW, I hear Heather is going to sue him, but I don't think she has a leg to stand on.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
Weird, I had a dream of Paul last night. All I remember is that I was asking him something about his song "Monkberry Moon Delight".

Never cared much for most of his his post-Beatles work, but I can't deny he's brilliant as a songwriter/musician.

He's barely known a time when he wasn't one of the most revered musicians in the world, and ego often accompanies brilliance.

My best friend knows a friend of Paul's, and it's a matter of time before he gets to meet him, the bastard. Oh well, maybe I'll get a t-shirt.

John and Paul together was a classic case of the whole being bigger than the sum of its parts.

BTW, I hear Heather is going to sue him, but I don't think she has a leg to stand on.
I'm crying with laughter.

Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules