Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shots fired outside my appartment

Shots fired outside my appartment
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 12:58 AM

About 45 minutes ago 4 shots were fired near (just outside?) my apartment in Central Square, Cambridge, MA. So far the only details I have are those posted in my blog and on my girlfriend's blog, but from the police activity I saw immediately following I think the shooting may have occurred in the park that's literally right next to our apartment building (there was also a shooting there a couple weeks ago).

Oddly enough, all the years I lived in Oakland I never even came close to witnessing a shooting, but it only took 3 weeks here...

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 01:10 AM

Why doesn't your government ban firearms? Sure people get shot in Australia, but not to the extent that it seems to occur over your way

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 01:13 AM

because its in the constitution that one has the right to bear arms.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E
Why doesn't your government ban firearms? Sure people get shot in Australia, but not to the extent that it seems to occur over your way
Against the constitution.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 01:16 AM

Queue long discussion as to the long term effectiveness of gun bans and registration measures including a variety of examples from both sides and wildly exaggerated claims and anecdotes.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
Arms? Does it mean I can own grenades, missle launchers, and bombs?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:17 AM

By the way, big deal. I hear gunshots every week. Some officer just got shot in my neighborhood today. Luckily his bullet-proof vest saved his life.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Arms? Does it mean I can own grenades, missle launchers, and bombs?
Nothing that exotic.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Nothing that exotic.
But I thought it was my constitutional right to bear arms?

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:21 AM

because we are too stupid to amend the constitution. It could be done, and we could eventually clean illegal arms from our streets, it would take a long time, but Americans are so stupid we all live in this state of never changing ignorance. I dont own a gun, I refuse to be part of the problem.

anonymac
Baninated
Aug 14, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by tutelary
because we are too stupid to amend the constitution.
Everyone let's repeat, "you can't amend the constitution to take away an enumerated right."

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Criminals don't follow the law, so banning guns would just leave law-abiding people totally defenseless.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by anonymac
Everyone let's repeat, "you can't amend the constitution to take away an enumerated right."

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Guns on planes don't kill people, people kill people. I have no clue why they ban guns on planes.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:29 AM

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Criminals don't follow the law, so banning guns would just leave law-abiding people totally defenseless.
what a pathetic set of well worn excuses you use. look at the murder rates in new york city alone versus whole other COUNTRIES.

You'll find that the 2nd amendment never specifically granted *INDIVIDUALS* right to bear arms. Interpretation is key. It could be modified in such a manner as to make average joe having a gun illegal.

GUNS kill people. You can run or fight someone with a knife. Its hard to do either from someone with a gun. Its a tool that MAKES MURDER POSSIBLE and *EASY*.

Go ask surgeons in major metro areas how they feel about guns with as many people as they save or watch die every week from gunshots.

Ganesha
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 01:31 AM

What's the problem?

1) They aren't shooting at you.
2) If they ARE shooting at you or near you, you have the right to shoot back.

Edit: Grammer

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ganesha
What's the problem?

The problem is you're accepting living in a society where average citizens on the streets are having gun battles. How can this NOT strike you as illogical, immoral, and detrimental to the function of that society as a whole?

anonymac
Baninated
Aug 14, 2006, 01:39 AM

what a pathetic set of well worn excuses you use. look at the murder rates in new york city alone versus whole other COUNTRIES.

You'll find that the 2nd amendment never specifically granted *INDIVIDUALS* right to bear arms. Interpretation is key. It could be modified in such a manner as to make average joe having a gun illegal.
The constitution/federal government doesn't grant us any rights. It only states/upholds them. The 2nd amendment has always been understood to mean that individuals have the right to have a gun ever since 1776. "Modifying" this is completely unconstitutional and beyond the scope of government. Please take a class in the constitution.

Anyway, guns are not the problem in new york city. It's definitely the people.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:41 AM

The 2nd amendment has always been understood to mean that individuals have the right to have a gun ever since 1776. "Modifying" this is completely unconstitutional and beyond the scope of government. Please take a class in the constitution.
Actually, NO. You'll find theres a wide degree of debate about interpretation on the matter. Congrats on registering just to show your ignorance, btw. "The People" does not refer to individuals, it refers to militia. Think about the time it was written in.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ganesha
What's the problem?

You don't have the right to shoot back. You only have the right to defend yourself. If there's a gun fight outside and a bullet come through my window, I don't have the right to go outside and gun down everyone with a gun.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
Americans

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:43 AM

Right to bear arms means the right to protect and defend yourself. Doesn't necessarily mean you have the right to own guns, grenades, missle launchers, bombs, and such.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Americans
Exactly.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Americans
99% of the things people say about my country I don't feel are true, but yes, America as a whole is idiotic with its weapon obsession. We now have enough weapons to arm even our cats and dogs if we wanted to, and give every man, woman, and child 2 guns each.

It is stupidity for the sake of stupidity, hiding behind a misinterpretation of something that was meant to help a young America. It makes me ashamed to live here when I see people defending it.

anonymac
Baninated
Aug 14, 2006, 01:50 AM

You know what they say, love it (guns and all) or leave like the traitor you are.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:52 AM

You know what they say, love it (guns and all) or leave like the traitor you are.
Don't tell me. You own 100 guns, a few bombs, some grenades, and possible a missle launcher too.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:55 AM

pay attention: the OP was about shooting in a PARK. You know, that public place you are supposed to be able to take your kids, walk your dog, ride a bike, jog, etc. This is what America is becoming because people like you are so stupid you not only accept it, you embrace it.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 02:08 AM

wow... troll central....

I will not feed the trolls!!!

That sucks about the gun shots... i would definitely want to move to a safer place.

Zach

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2006, 03:33 AM

so my question is did you blog first (both of you)? or call the cops first?
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 04:46 AM

Guns on planes don't kill people, people kill people.
No, no. You have it all wrong. Snakes on planes kill people.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 06:04 AM

The Swiss have guns - don't seem to have a problem with it.

and no... it's liquids on planes that kills people.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 07:21 AM

How many of the gun-owners in the US are actually part of a well-regulated militia? That clause could be reinterpereted by the courts without being struck down or amended. Unfortunately, it's vague & easily misinterpreted.

I used to be more anti-gun than I am now that the Authoritarians are trying to dominate the government. I'd still like to see them regulated in some meaningful way, though. The CDC has long kept statistics on gun deaths in America, and they're pretty horrifying.

Oh, and Pol/war?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 07:23 AM

Nice of you to create a new account just for this thread, coward.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 08:06 AM

Shooting is great recreational fun and relaxing. I own 5 guns myself.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 14, 2006, 08:10 AM

because we are too stupid to amend the constitution. It could be done, and we could eventually clean illegal arms from our streets, it would take a long time, but Americans are so stupid we all live in this state of never changing ignorance. I dont own a gun, I refuse to be part of the problem.
Talk about ignorance...

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 08:19 AM

personally I don't see the link between banning legal weapons to remove illegal weapons.

In the UK we have some of the most restrictive (if not, the most) gun laws in the world - and since they've been in place, gun crime has increased. Law abidding people disarmed, criminals armed.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 08:51 AM

I live in Harvard Square. I always knew you low lifes in Central Square would shoot at each other.

Interesting how the Cambridge PD is located right in Central Square yet they cannot prevent a shooting.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 09:02 AM

The guns are the real problem. There are more people with guns in Canada but not as many shootings.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Dr.Michael
Aug 14, 2006, 09:03 AM

By the way, big deal. I hear gunshots every week. Some officer just got shot in my neighborhood today. Luckily his bullet-proof vest saved his life.
What a cool country... Congratulations for you great constitution!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
personally I don't see the link between banning legal weapons to remove illegal weapons.

In the UK we have some of the most restrictive (if not, the most) gun laws in the world - and since they've been in place, gun crime has increased. Law abidding people disarmed, criminals armed.
QFT.

Not to mention a government that, since banning guns, has set off down the road to totalitarianism. A bit like Hitler after he banned guns.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by moodymonster

QFT x 2. All the people that say america with a rolleyes, you are crazy. Your UK stories are just as crazy as anything that happens here. Do you not see that your rights are being stripped away from you. You are all a bunch of sheep doing exactly what your media tells you is right.

Here is an example of your rights being killed:

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by black bear theory
so my question is did you blog first (both of you)? or call the cops first?
The cops were on the scene within minutes (I was actually pretty amazed with their response time), so there wasn't really any need to call them.

Also, if this was meant to be a discussion of gun rights I would have posted it in the Pol lounge.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bstone
I live in Harvard Square. I always knew you low lifes in Central Square would shoot at each other.

Interesting how the Cambridge PD is located right in Central Square yet they cannot prevent a shooting.
Ha. The only reason I live in Central Square is that my girlfriend already lived here and it was much easier for us to just sign the lease for another year than to find a new place. Personally I'm not really too bothered by the shootings; it's a gang thing, and if a bunch of idiots want to kill each other for no good reason I say good riddance. Of course once people who aren't involved start getting hurt it's a different story.

Also, if the presence of a police station prevented violence there'd never be problems with violent crime. Statistically it's probably more violent in the areas with police stations than those without (because they'll build the stations in the areas where they're more needed).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 09:26 AM

at least the OP and his gal are okay. that's all that should matter. i live in boston, and thankfully haven't had to deal with anything with guns, except paint ball.

Alex

wvx
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 09:40 AM

I think we should ban criminals. Problem solved.

The vast majority of shootings in America are drug related.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 09:46 AM

I know I am, this movie looks so bad it's gotta be good!!!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by wvx
Genius!!

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by wvx
Nah, that would just make it a crime to be a criminal.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 10:01 AM

Then only the bad guys will have guns (the ones who currently use them against others for the most part)

The solution is to severly punish those who use guns in a crime - like a MANDATORY 25 years in fed prison. (You know, that silly right-wing notion of responsibility for ones actions.)
Many countries who don't allow guns have folks murdered by butcher knives, swords, spears, bats, rocks, etc, so obviously just banning guns doesn't do as intended - stopping murders. Remember a gun will just sit on the table until picked up by somebody. Otherwise, they just sit there.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 10:03 AM

The problem is you're accepting living in a society where average citizens on the streets are having gun battles. How can this NOT strike you as illogical, immoral, and detrimental to the function of that society as a whole?
Oh please, the average citizen here does not tote around weapons and have gun battles. You're being overly dramatic and perhaps are watching too many movies.

Much of the gun violence in this country comes from people who illegally possess weapons. In which case it doesn't matter if guns are banned or not--they are breaking the law in any case.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 10:06 AM

Actually, NO. You'll find theres a wide degree of debate about interpretation on the matter. Congrats on registering just to show your ignorance, btw. "The People" does not refer to individuals, it refers to militia. Think about the time it was written in.
The debate come from the idealists, leftists and commies, who first want all the guns taken from you so it will be easier to conquer you.

Do you know WHY the militia was armed? To kill politicians who wouldn't leave office etc. Sounds like a good idea, Hmmmm???

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:22 AM

That is actually kind of interesting... Central Sq overall has been getting better in the last few years.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules