Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Parents - what swingset did you buy?

Parents - what swingset did you buy?
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 08:31 AM

Hey any of you parents here purchased a wooden swingset.

Me the wife have been looking at them for a little while and there's a lot to choose from.
On one of the spectrum you can buy one at target/walmart for under a grand - the construction seems a little light, does not include deliver or setup. delivery from target is a couple of hundred, so that will drive the price up beyond 1,000.

Move on to Costco who sells sunray (made by rainbow) and they go for about 1,300 and includes deliver but not setup

seems the next category is the creative playthings, they cost around 2500, but they'll deliver and set it up. Comes with a 15 year warranty.

Spending 2,500 for a swing set seems overly expensive, the costco seems like a nice compromise of price but sturdy construction (though I'll have to assemble it).

Any Parent here have a wooden swingset, if so what kind and how often does your kids play on it. Also any pitfalls or things to avoid.
Michael

andi*pandi
May 27, 2007, 10:11 AM

we have a small yard so had to settle for a small climbing fort from step 2, but I have heard good things about rainbow and creative. Yikes they are expensive. If you're thinking of having other kids later who will also use the swingset, it might be more worth it to spring for something longer lasting (and safer).

I've also seen used ones on craigslist.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 10:58 AM

1 tire, 1 tree, length of rope = great fun. optional accessories would be small body of water to land in. cost would be around $7.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 11:16 AM

Check Home Depot. In the past I've seen hardware only kits there that seem pretty good. They include everything needed to build the swingset except the lumber, and for that it gives you a complete dimensional breakdown. Buy your own lumber and screw it together.
[Edit: Linky]
( Last edited by Rev-O; May 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM. )
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 11:45 AM

Cedarworks (CedarWorks Wooden Swing Sets: America's Premium Swingsets)

Pros: Extremely durable (I've had 3 large adults using it at the same time). No splinters. Doesn't need sealing or sanding. Not very complicated to setup.
Cons: With no sealing the wood looks weathered and gray after a few years (which is not a big deal to me, since it matches the look of the house). The wood will get long cracks in some of the longer beams, but according to the company this is natural and does not affect the strength (which seems to be true,so far) - just doesn't look as nice.

All in all, a very good playset.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 01:41 PM

I saw cedarworks and I was wondering about the need to sand/seal it.

Rev-O thanks for the home depot link.

I come from the line of thought that you get what you pay for, but that doesn't mean I should pay more then I need. My concern is that after spending a couple of thousand on a playset, they'll only use it for a year or two. Conversely by getting a cheap one, I'd be concerned about safety. I've already seen some recalls on the swingsets that walmart sells. So there you have it, on one extreme, it may not be as safe as I'd want it and on another, paying a premium
Michael

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2007, 03:53 PM

I always wanted a swing set when I was little, but my parents said it was too dangerous.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
My concern is that after spending a couple of thousand on a playset, they'll only use it for a year or two.
Then stay basic. A rope swing, a couple of regular swings, and maybe monkey bars. Those 4 foot slides and seesaws are only fun for little kids. If you stay with the fundamental apparatuses they will use them well into their teens albeit not as much.

Go with pressure treated wood set in a proper foundation so water and bugs aren't as much of an issue. I had one of those aluminum jobs when I was little and in the end winters and rust claimed them.
Also you may as well get those recycled tire pads for the bottom of the set. Otherwise you will be reseeding or applying cedar chips every spring.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 28, 2007, 08:21 AM

We bought one at Toys R Us. I think the wood could be better (it sways when the kids are swinging), but I doubt it's a serious issue. People would have sued them into bankruptcy if it was that bad.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 08:32 AM

Well, after much research and deciding, we're opting for the creative playthings unit. A bit pricey but rock solid. All of the units we've looked at, appears to be in two classes. Inexpensive but using smaller dimensional would and/or hardware or more expensive and more solidly built. The warranty on the creative playthings says it all in that the minimum warranty is 15 years and some of the models carry lifetime.

I still have concerns at how long the girls will use it, but that's the chances you take with any purchase.
Michael

Railroader
Banned
May 28, 2007, 09:36 AM

From my experience, you can actually sell the more expensive ones. They have a pretty good used market value. You'll get a little less than half of what you paid, but it makes the overall ownership cost lower. And around here they will increase the value of the house and improve marketability of the house.

Just take care of it and don't let it go gray. Not that going gray affects it's usability or durability, people just like to buy things like this that don't look old.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 28, 2007, 11:40 AM

I still have concerns at how long the girls will use it, but that's the chances you take with any purchase.
How old are your kids?

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 11:55 AM

17 mos. They're just getting into the playsets. We take them to the play ground and they're all over the stuff. Since they are just getting the act of climbing stairs we need to be right there with them (but then I would most parents do the same).

They being on the swings and enjoy the slide. We'll have to buy the "optional" baby seat swings because they're too young for the typical swings.

From my experience, you can actually sell the more expensive ones.
I agree and likewise if we decide to sell the house, it could be also used to help with the sale, i.e., great house for a family.
Michael

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 28, 2007, 12:24 PM

17 months?

If they're like most kids, they use the heck out of that swingset over the next few years. And if you have neighbor kids, they'll probably be over too.

My kids (and the neighbor kids) will still use it sometimes and the're in the 7-9 year old range.

Railroader
Banned
May 28, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
And if you have neighbor kids, they'll probably be over too.
This is the biggest selling point to me. I'd rather have the neighborhood kids playing at my house than my kids playing elsewhere.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 02:58 PM

We have had our wooden swing set for three years now and the kids (1 /12 and 4 years old) love it. Like someone previously said, the neighbors use it a ton also. Ours has a 5-6 foot slide and the four year old still uses it a ton. I think that it will be good till they are both 5 or 6 years old, and then it will be used for more of the "I'm bored" time than play time. Could be wrong though... one of our nieghbors that is 6 years old still likes to play on it like a fortress. Oh, and I put in a semi-large sandbox underneath the fortress thingy that connects to the slide, and they also use that a LOT.

I think it's a great thing to have. The house we live in already had it setup in the back yard and it was actually something that swayed us into buying the house.

dav
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 03:10 PM

the missing side (just beyond the deck area) has three swings under monkey bars. we've had it about two years, kids still use it, but mostly when the neighborhood kids visit. i believe we paid about $900 from a wholesale club.
one post closer to five stars

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 04:23 PM

I did the deed, we kind of rushed to get the set mostly because the sale ends today. I think I saved around 500 dollars after all is said and done with.

We're looking forward to getting it delivered and set up. I just finished trimming some branches from a low hanging tree so that it won't obstruct the clubhouse that will be going up.

The girls are going to love it

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions
Michael

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by dav View Post

the missing side (just beyond the deck area) has three swings under monkey bars. we've had it about two years, kids still use it, but mostly when the neighborhood kids visit. i believe we paid about $900 from a wholesale club.
Ours is a two swinger plus a swinging bar and not quite as big of a clubhouse, but that spot under the clubhouse is perfect for a sandbox. I extended mine a foot or so past the end of the clubouse to make it a bit bigger, but out of everything on it our 18 month daughter loves the sandbox the most and will play in it for hours.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 28, 2007, 05:44 PM

My neighbor (who is Mr. Major Weekend-Projecy Guy) dug out the area that he was putting his swingset, poured concrete at the footings of the swingset for stability, and then for the rest of the area (under the slide, swings and around the playset) poured in that "poured rubber surfacing" that you see in those huge water parks or large city playgrounds, for safety. It's the coolest stuff.

I put those recycled rubber mulch in mine for when the kids take a tumble. I got it all poured in and not 5 minutes later, my daughter decided to test it out, by falling off the trapeze bar and hitting her head.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I put those recycled rubber mulch in mine for when the kids take a tumble. I got it all poured in and not 5 minutes later, my daughter decided to test it out, by falling off the trapeze bar and hitting her head.

I looked into getting that rubber mulch and rubber pellets but it was going to cost *thousands* for the stuff. And delivery was hundreds on top of it since it weighs a couple of tons. It would be nice though.

seanq08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 09:54 AM

Hi Dav,

I'm in the market for a swingset and currently doing my research. I really like the set you have and was wondering if you could possibly provide me with the manufacture name and what club you purchased the set at. Thank you Sean

dav
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by seanq08 View Post
Hi Dav,

I'm in the market for a swingset and currently doing my research. I really like the set you have and was wondering if you could possibly provide me with the manufacture name and what club you purchased the set at. Thank you Sean

no problem. the set was made by "adventure playsets" and the specific model called "ultimate wooden play center". we purchased it from "bj's wholesale club".

here's the link to play set adventure playsets. the web page says "purchase at the following retailers: bjs wholesale club", however, when i checked bjs website bjs, i could no longer find the playset. it's either seasonal, discontinued, or not sold over the internet. we bought ours a year or two ago, and i'm pretty confident we paid $899.

(i added the pirate flag, and we switched the positions of the slide and "rock wall" to better fit our yard.)
one post closer to five stars

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 11:26 AM

Hey any of you parents here purchased a wooden swingset.
There was just an article on this in the paper (jsonline.com) a few days ago. Personally, I think the kind of parents who blow a few thousand on a wooden 'fancy' swingset are the same kind who buy SUVs: Idiots.

If you want to make a really really COOL swingset, design it with your children, then build it together. They are NOT very complicated, and should be significantly cheaper than buying a prebuilt one. As a kid, I would have LOVED to help design a swingset, and help my dad build it!

Think about it.

ALSO, try to use reclaimed wood, if at all possible. You can usually find plenty of cheap or FREE materials on craigslist.

seanq08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 01:22 PM

Great. Thanks Dav. Looks like Walmart carries the Adventure Playsets. I'll take a look. Appreciate the feedback.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
There was just an article on this in the paper (jsonline.com) a few days ago. Personally, I think the kind of parents who blow a few thousand on a wooden 'fancy' swingset are the same kind who buy SUVs: Idiots.
Nah, why build something when I can buy it. Besides I don't want to get dirt or sawdust in my pristine SUV from lugging all of that old growth forest lumber.
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; May 29, 2007 at 01:36 PM. )
Michael

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
...Go with pressure treated wood set in a proper foundation so water and bugs aren't as much of an issue...
I'd avoid anything PT with children. Heck, I'd avoid it in general (I only spec it when we'll be closing it up behind a wall or somesuch).

We take our daughter to the park -- she enjoys seeing the other kids as well.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I'd avoid anything PT with children. Heck, I'd avoid it in general (I only spec it when we'll be closing it up behind a wall or somesuch).

We take our daughter to the park -- she enjoys seeing the other kids as well.
That's what the response to the article I mentioned above was: Public parks teach your children better social skills, and learning how to interact with many different kinds of children of different backgrounds, races, ages, etc. I don't get this 'me everything'. I don't understand why people want their own pool, their own yacht, their own plane, their own swingset, their own everything. I'd rather share most things with people.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 03:26 PM

Well did you ever thing about the fact that its not always feasible to take kids to a public park or pool and its much more feasible to have them play in the back yard from time to time..

I don't go for the communal/communistic lifestyle, which means I have no problems in buying my children a swingset.
Michael

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 03:31 PM

Only cash can make a swingset controversial.

design219
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 03:35 PM

I'd rather share most things with people.
Can I borrow your spud sniper thingy?

I'm on his ignore list, can someone quote me?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Thorzdad
May 29, 2007, 03:39 PM

Back in the day, we went with the old-fashioned, traditional metal swingset. The kids played it to death. Then they grew-up and stopped using it. At that point, I just went at it with some WD40 and wrenches and it was gone in an afternoon.
The big wood forts are cool, to be sure...until the kids are grown and you're stuck with thousands of dollars of mini-condo taking up room in the yard. Or a major dismantling job and a lot of big timbers that the trash guy isn't going to take.
Just my 2-cents.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Back in the day, we went with the old-fashioned, traditional metal swingset. The kids played it to death. Then they grew-up and stopped using it. At that point, I just went at it with some WD40 and wrenches and it was gone in an afternoon.
The big wood forts are cool, to be sure...until the kids are grown and you're stuck with thousands of dollars of mini-condo taking up room in the yard. Or a major dismantling job and a lot of big timbers that the trash guy isn't going to take.
Just my 2-cents.
Some of the families I know have sold theirs or donated them to local charities and had them taken away, so it doesn't have to be a big hassle getting rid of it.

andi*pandi
May 29, 2007, 03:57 PM

craigslist!

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Can I borrow your spud sniper thingy?

sure
Michael

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 03:58 PM

Done.

Edit: Damn.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by seanq08 View Post
Great. Thanks Dav. Looks like Walmart carries the Adventure Playsets. I'll take a look. Appreciate the feedback.

From consumer Reports .
Defective bolts could cause frame to detach from fort structure, posing fall hazard to child.

Products: 26,000 swing sets sold 1/1/06 through 3/1/06 at Wal-Mart (and www.walmart.com), Menard's, and Toys “R” Us stores nationwide for about $1,000. Recall involves the following models: The Durango, Tacoma, Odyssey, Bellvue, Monarch, Grand Teton, and Outlook II. The swing sets are made of wood and feature various types of slides, swings, and a fabric canopy over part of the structure. Photos appear at www.adventureplaysets.com. The distributor, Adventure Playsets, doing business as Backyard Ventures Inc. of Amarillo, Texas, has received 64 reports of bolt heads twisting off during installation. No injuries have been reported.

What to do: Stop using swing set and contact Backyard Ventures at 800-856-4445 to receive free replacement bolts and repair instructions. Consumers can also go to www.adventureplaysets.com or e-mail [email protected].
This was the chief reason why my wife and I stayed away from these.
Michael

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 04:13 PM

Well did you ever thing about the fact that its not always feasible to take kids to a public park or pool and its much more feasible to have them play in the back yard from time to time..

I don't go for the communal/communistic lifestyle, which means I have no problems in buying my children a swingset.
So you don't live anywhere near a park? I find that hard to believe.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 04:19 PM

Sure I do and you know what I have no problems in buying them a swing set. Sometimes it makes more sense to have them play in the fenced in back yard.

Since you don't have twins or kids you have no idea.

Lets go with an example. I (or my wife) takes the girls to the park. One decides to pet that cute little puppy that is walking and barking (read she may get bitten) , while the other is now walking in front of a swing that someone is going full bore on. Its not really feasible to have one parent try to keep track of two curious 16 month old children especially when one runs in one direction and the other child in the opposite direction.

Now its a lot easier dealing with the issues in our back yard since its fenced in a yard that has been childproof.
Michael

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 04:29 PM

Lets go with an example. I (or my wife) takes the girls to the park. One decides to pet that cute little puppy that is walking and barking (read she may get bitten) , while the other is now walking in front of a swing that someone is going full bore on.
Um, Darwin. When I was a kid I didn't run up to dogs I didn't know well, because my parents TAUGHT me that strange dogs can bite. As for running in front of a swinging kid.... well... I don't know what to say. If your kids are that dumb, they'll do the same thing on their own personal swingset, so it really doesn't matter. Maybe just have smarter kids.

PS: I'm not calling your kids dumb. I'm just saying the theoretical examples you gave sound like dumb children. I'm sure they're very bright, in real life.

design219
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:33 PM

I'm sure they're very bright, in real life.
Has '68 he always been like this?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:35 PM

Has '68 he always been like this?
It's the banning wearing off. He'll be fine when the grogginess subsides.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 04:43 PM

Don't bring up the banning for **** I didn't do. I'll have a melt down and start cussing out the moderators. I can't believe they banned me for **** I DIDNT EVEN DO. ****ingalsjdfilkajsdfkljasdflk. God I hate stupid people.
( Last edited by centerchannel68; May 29, 2007 at 04:50 PM. )

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:47 PM

That nugget of information shouldn't come back to haunt you.

design219
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:48 PM

God I hate people.
I think we've hit the problem.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:52 PM

I think we've hit the problem.
Nah, that's not it.

design219
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:56 PM

What's your take Dakar?

andi*pandi
May 29, 2007, 04:57 PM

2 year olds aren't much help in building a swingset. Heck, I made an herb planter with my 5 year old, home depot had already cut the wood etc for it, and it was just the right scope of project for someone his age. A little sanding, 4 nails, some paint, 1/2 hour and it was done, he was proud, and no one had nailed their thumb to anything.

By the time a kid is old enough to truly be a) safe b) useful in building something like a playset, they are too big for the playset.

btw, I grew up with the only playground around being the elementary school one mile away. Today, we live with lots of playgrounds around, that we visit a lot, but if we had a bigger backyard for certain we'd have some kind of swingset. Sometimes you want your kid to play safely and locally while you do yard work etc. Town playgrounds are great for variety and giving the other parent some peace and quiet however.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 04:57 PM

I don't know, but I know that's not it.

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 05:51 PM

Um, Darwin. When I was a kid I didn't run up to dogs I didn't know well, because my parents TAUGHT me that strange dogs can bite. .
You really are clueless.
Since you're not a parent why not keep your mouth closed otherwise you'll continue to expose the fact that you're talking out of your butt.

The girls are 16 mos. old, you cannot explain the facts of life to them quite yet they only understand basic commands and being 16 mos old they are incredibly curious which is why they do run at things they do not understand.

My point however is less to do with dogs and more with the fact when I'm (or my wife) is alone with the girls its not feasible to take them out in public since they will run off in different directions.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules