Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > How many computers for 1 copy of XP?

How many computers for 1 copy of XP?
Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 08:40 AM

I've recently installed XP Pro on my Intel Tower, and would like to get a MacBook for a road trip.
DO I have to purchase another license for XP? Am I entitled to up to so many computers?

Thanks!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2007, 09:02 AM

1 copy of Windows per computer (same as MacOS).

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
DO I have to purchase another license for XP?Thanks!
Yes you need to purchase another license of XP.
Michael

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2007, 11:18 AM

You are entitled to up to ONE computer per license. You can find XP Pro for less than $100 if you look around enough.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 02:59 PM

The License terms dictate one copy per computer.

However, I seem to recall that with Virtual PC you could have one virtual PC image and move it from physical computer to physical computer and as long as the virtual XP image was only utilized at one time, that you were still within the spirit of the licensing terms.

Let's face it, a License is not a legal contract. Never been held up in court. You are not ripping anyone off if you move your active copy from one computer to another and only use the one copy. It all depends on your interpretation. Some people slam themselves and buy extra copies whether they need it or not ... just to be safe, others look at the reasonableness of it, and still others just rip downloaded copies off of pirate sites.

I believe the licensing terms are that you can install XP on more than one computer so long as you only use one copy at a time.

It's your call. No matter what you do, no one else is going to know unless you tell them. Best advise is for you to read the XP licensing terms for the copy you already own and decide for yourself.

I use Parallels and have a desktop and laptop. My desktop used to be my primary system with the laptop my occasional system. I am the only person that used either computer. If I needed to travel, I simply copied by Virtual HD to my laptop and took it with me. When I returned from the trip, I copied it back to my desktop. Since then, I now use my laptop for my main system and use the desktop primarily as a backup in case the laptop is damaged or stolen. Regardless of how I used it, I was only USING ONE SINGLE COPY OF XP AT ONE TIME. Technically, the copy of XP was installed in a single virtual HD. I just happened to move the DATA FILE to the computer where I needed it. YMMV

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by PubGuy View Post
I believe the licensing terms are that you can install XP on more than one computer so long as you only use one copy at a time.
Your belief is wrong since the EULA is pretty specific in that you are only allowed to use it on one computer.
Michael

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2007, 12:23 PM

Well, if the only VIRTUAL computer I own is moved from on physical location to another pyhysical location, then I am only using XP on a the a single VIRTUAL computer.

Besides, if you use something like Crossover Office and it works for what you need, then you don't even have to bother with Windows at all.

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2007, 05:35 PM

Actually, (lol) the reason I ask is because I am getting a Zumo GPS for a road trip next week, and after plotting maps etc on my MBP using my copy of windoze I just realized now with my new MB I got for the trip, I'll have to get another copy to chart and swap maps as I go along...

Don't even through the Mac GPS solutions out there, I'm not impressed. If I knew Crossover would work with the GPS then I'd tinker with that maybe?

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
If I knew Crossover would work with the GPS then I'd tinker with that maybe?
How about tinkering with it and letting US know if your GPS software works with crossover?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You are entitled to up to ONE computer per license. You can find XP Pro for less than $100 if you look around enough.
Where? The only places I can find XP Pro that cheap are sites out of Russia that claim that they can offer it so cheap because it's downloadable.

I'm seeing prices more in the $140 range for XP Pro OEM from reputable places....

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2007, 08:10 AM

I've seen it for about $95 on Newegg, but frankly I haven't looked lately. Still, $140 is a whole lot better than ~$400, the "list" price from MS.

Check out this NexTag page for some decent (though not sub-$100) prices.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules