Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Has anybody built a transmission line subwoofer?

Has anybody built a transmission line subwoofer?
centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 10:55 AM

What are your experiences? I'm thinking about trying one.... I just don't know a whole lot about them. I've found a few sites online that try to explain tuning the length of them, but none very good. Anybody have any experience with them? Please share!

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2007, 08:03 PM

you are exactly who I would expect this question of.

I've heard a few of these and they werent anything to get all orgasmic over. Of course you can always find SOMEbody who will swear that they can pick out the minute differences in THD between virtually identical components and blah blah blah but even if you were to follow all the rules and come out with the BEST case scenario for one of these you're not talking about huge practical differences.

Thats also part of the problem with these, the fact that there are more than a few conflicting rules or schools of thought for building them. The other REALLY critical thing is driver selection, much more so than with more traditional enclosures. I forget the reason at the moment, but the physics of the driver have to be just so or else no-go.

Basically its a hell of a lot of work for a best-case of a minor practical benefit and thats if you get it "right", whatever that is. However, for somebody all engineery like yourself, who enjoys the theories, numbers and whys of how things work its probably a pretty good project.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 08:23 AM

So, what the hell did he do this time? Did he even last 24 hours?

design219
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 08:56 AM

He offended certain audiophiles by attempting to build a transmission line subwoofer. Had me fuming.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 09:22 AM

I built one from a set of plans. The old (1970's era) I.M.Fried design using KEF components. Also, ESS made the AMT1 "Sound Tower" with a really nice sounding Transmission line bottom end. If I remember, they are only good for about 1.5 octaves, and you have to cross over rather steep (12-18dB/octave).

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
So, what the hell did he do this time? Did he even last 24 hours?
I wonder if it had to do with the fact that the first thing he did after coming back was completely idiotic:

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...or-the-record/

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:02 AM

Well they sure took their time banning him after locking that thread.

(So he did last 24+ hours)

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 10:08 AM

I don't think it was for that, I mean he's created a bunch of threads in the feedback forum whining about how unfair mods are towards him. I don't know what provoked the mods to Baninate him this time.
Michael

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:12 AM

Yeah, I didn't see anything 'out of the ordinary' in his post history. Someone must have just reported him as abusive and that was that.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 10:20 AM

If that was the case I wonder if they also "edited" or deleted the offending post also.
Michael

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:22 AM

No they don't bother unless its graphic which is unlikely.

Cipher13
May 31, 2007, 10:56 AM

I'd hoped random, unjust banning would stop with Tooki's departure. Apparently not.

The mods seem to ban cash whenever they feel like it, really... it's almost random, and often for "offences" far less than what other members constantly get away with. The justification is that he's abusing the rules by re-registering constantly, but that's not exactly fair given his very *initial* ban was an unjust one also (was it tooki, misha, or wlonh? I don't recall but I do remember it being BS).
( Last edited by Cipher13; May 31, 2007 at 01:10 PM. )

DrMischievious
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 12:28 PM

Yeah, they seem to be pretty god damn retarded lately. They ban Cash for calling 'railroader' Kilbey, even though he posted here as Kilbey for over 3 years, for thousands of posts. Yeah, THAT makes sense. And didn't railroader call Cash by his real name, many many many times? He didn't seem to get a very long ban for that, now did he?

This last time, I have no idea why they banned him. I bet you cash doesn't even know why, he probably got some cryptic bannination message, said **** this, and just started reregistering again since the mods are so god damn retarded and act like spazzes. They're literally acting like a PMSing chick who's having constant mood swings... you're okay... NO YOU'RE NOT YOU ASSHOLE! Wait, no, you're okay... WAIT NO YOU AREN"T YOU JERK!

Whatever. I say Cash should just reregister again and again since they're hell bent on treating him unfairly. They can't stop him, and they know it.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 12:29 PM

And you are...?

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 12:31 PM

And you are...?
Who do you think he is?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by DrMischievious View Post
Whatever. I say Cash should just reregister again and again since they're hell bent on treating him unfairly. They can't stop him, and they know it.
Sounds like he already did, so why not give up the pretense.
Michael

DrMischievious
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 12:35 PM

And you are...?
Consider me somebody who's sick of Cash getting banned for BULLSHIT reasons. He posts pretty much the same **** as everybody else around here, only it seems like certain members with penile inadequacy problems report all his posts as offensive, so the mods keep giving him a hard time, instead of actually dealing with the problem members who report him 24-7.

He did NOTHING to deserve being banned this time, and you know it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 12:40 PM

Well, you certainly strike a familiar, abusive tone.

See you around... I guess.

DrMischievious
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 12:51 PM

Hey, analogika is here. What do you know about TL subs? You probably have one. Elaborate please!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Who do you think he is?
I'm really getting sick of that emoticon.

Cipher13
May 31, 2007, 01:39 PM

Another ban?

Real gutsy, guys.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 01:40 PM

Well that charade lasted long.

Personally, I'm hoping he comes back under a new 'DrMischievious' account and starts complaining that DrMischievious did nothing ban worthy so why did he get banned.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Another ban?

Real gutsy, guys.
Looks like he got dinged again
I think the problem is that he gets on a kick to start crapping on threads, he also painted the mods into a corner saying they can't stop him and he'll just continue to break the rules.

He should have been less adversarial and less insulting to people and he would find himself not getting banned as much.

For what ever reason when ever he sees a RR thread he goes out of his way to inflame RR
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules