Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 16)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I think I missed something. Did the van survive? Was the perp caught?
This was with the Crosstrek I rented.

Asshole in an overloaded pickup rear-ended me. Hard enough it pushed the Crosstrek about 5 feet, and popped the bumper halfway out of its retaining clips.

Couldn’t memorize the plate in mirror lettering while trying to get off a six lane highway. Of course, the ****er took off.

Here’s the cherry on top. Zipcar requests I immediately return the car, but won’t give me a replacement because my account is now suspended since I’ve been in an accident.

Really?
( Last edited by subego; Sep 4, 2018 at 06:19 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Sep 4, 2018, 06:16 PM

Buy a dash cam. After watching Russian car crash videos, I bought one. So far, it's only recorded my own bad driving. Nothing YouTube-worthy yet. But if someone totals my car in the future, there will be a video record.

The better dash cams have rear-facing cameras as well as front-facing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2018, 06:20 PM

The whole experience definitely made me want one more.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2018, 07:14 PM

I think a dash cam is good to have no matter what, but even with a high end 1080p model, you can't really decipher a liscense plate from a passing car. The car practically has to be less than 10 feet directly ahead to read the liscense plate reliably. I imagine the compression would be even worse on a 4K camera to keep the file size down.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2018, 07:55 PM

If it was a rear-view model, this would have picked it up, both as he came up on me, and the 10 seconds he was stopped afterwards.

In theory, I could have just put the car in park and snapped a picture with my phone, but my “get off the highway” instinct took over.

Perhaps because of seeing too many dashcam videos of pileups due to people stopped on the highway.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2018, 04:30 PM

“Son of the bitches... who delete? Is not spam. Is Skoda”

electrode17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2018, 03:35 AM

To be honest, social media especially Youtube is saturated with dash cam videos capturing a lot of traffic accidents to occasional insane wildfire driving. I actually don't mind having one since it can be used as evidence in case of emergency.
Hiatus for a tri-state trip. Working on my truck for the long drive. I got my fuel wheels and mud tires ready.

mindwaves
Sep 21, 2018, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Thinking of buying a new car. Previous car was a Civic and current car is a CR-V. I live and work abroad, so I don't have access to my CR-V. Want to buy a car here. Choices here are pretty much the same in the US.

Requirements/desires:
1) 4 doors
2) more upscale/premium type of car than my last 2 cars, but doesn't need to be BMW/Audi type
3) female appeal (means females see it and think more highly of me)
4) $30,000-$45,000 USD
5) not a dead-end car like Lexus IS/GS (Lexus may be phasing them out)

I'm thinking of Subaru Forester, VW Golf (maybe?), Lexus ES. Any suggestions? I would buy an Equus G70 (money notwithstanding), but they don't sell them here.
Reserved a Model 3. Going to be either red or white. Get performance version.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2018, 05:15 AM

Fun!

Did they say how long it would take?

mindwaves
Sep 21, 2018, 09:52 AM

Well, I’m not in the US, so international deliveries are a bit iffy, I’m hearing second half of 2019. A long time to wait. Getting the performance version will let me have it a bit earlier than others.

justinn007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2018, 03:55 AM

I like hatches too.

On the other hand, the shallow trunk space on hatches also annoys me - you're just forced to pile your trunk stuff vertically.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; May 31, 2019 at 07:20 AM. )

mindwaves
Sep 25, 2018, 09:12 PM

Hatches are nice. I wish that the 3 was a hatch. I would like to test drive one and I will probably do so when I'm back in the States next month. Anyone in CA who wants to meet up? I'm in SoCal.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2018, 11:53 PM

I am and always will be a hot hatch guy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2018, 02:56 PM

I've become a bit of an F1 fan the past year, gravitating mostly to Max Verstappen.

If you guys are interested, Amazon Prime has a pretty good series showing some of the ins and outs of the development process. I'm curious to know if anyone else has some recommendations I've missed.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2019, 06:53 PM

I just saw an old, ratty Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Goddamn, that was a fun car. It’s a crime they stopped making it.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Buy a dash cam. After watching Russian car crash videos, I bought one. So far, it's only recorded my own bad driving. Nothing YouTube-worthy yet. But if someone totals my car in the future, there will be a video record.

The better dash cams have rear-facing cameras as well as front-facing.
Pure-gear dash cam and Owl are iOS compatible dash cams. They have apps, so you get the footage even if something happens to the camera.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Thorzdad
May 31, 2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I just saw an old, ratty Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Goddamn, that was a fun car. It’s a crime they stopped making it.
There are a couple of old Eclipses running around here. Never got to drive one, but I always thought they had a nice look about them, in that semi-funky Mitsu sort of way.

mindwaves
May 31, 2019, 07:53 AM

The Eclipse and Eagle Talons were a bit funky, but I think that the real horror is not making the Lancer Evolution anymore. That would be a nice car to drive.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2019, 09:09 AM

Eagle Talon is such a great name for a car.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 31, 2019, 10:07 AM

Better than Eagle Vision??

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2019, 05:17 PM

Had no idea it was the same as the Talon, but looking back, of course it is.

ZipCar had Eclipses for awhile, and I just loved renting them. Absolute blast to drive.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2019, 05:20 PM

I came really close to buying a Plymouth Laser years back, which was definitely the least desirable car of that shared platform.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2019, 05:29 PM

I likewise didn’t know about that version either. I admit, it has driven Plymouth up in my estimation.
( Last edited by subego; May 31, 2019 at 08:18 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2019, 02:05 PM

Well it’s looking like my ‘04 Boxster has finally given out. So my waffling between a Tesla S and a 911 needs to end. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 27, 2019, 03:23 PM

My work has electric charging stations, used Ss are in the $30k range, and my wife has a gasoline-powered vehicle for those like 5 times a year where electric isn't good enough. If my current car wasn't costing me almost nothing to keep, I'd be looking at the S.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Well it’s looking like my ‘04 Boxster has finally given out. So my waffling between a Tesla S and a 911 needs to end. I’d appreciate your thoughts.
I’ll be honest—those are incredibly different cars. Sure the S has beyond-incredible straightline acceleration, but I didn’t find it particularly exciting to drive other than that feature, which is admittedly super fun. If you’re comparing to a Boxster or 911, it will feel like what it is: a big and heavy sedan with incredible torque. That’s still really cool, but a much different driving experience than the Porsches which make you feel like you’re driving.

How did you like your Boxster? I’ve had my eye on a late-model Honda S2000 for a while now. Overly expensive for a 12-year-old vehicle even with low kms, can’t be winter-driven, and super impractical for a guy with two kids—makes no sense, really. In fact I almost decided to try for one of those absurdly styled new Type Rs instead, if only because it’s a four-seater, but keep coming back to the roadster. I guess it’s mid-life crisis confirmed...
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2019, 01:04 AM

The Eclipse and Eagle Talons were a bit funky, but I think that the real horror is not making the Lancer Evolution anymore. That would be a nice car to drive.
Rumor is the Evo is coming back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
and super impractical for a guy with two kids
Two??

OreoCookie
Jun 30, 2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Two??
Well, two very thin children, apparently.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2019, 12:46 PM

Well, he's not American.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2019, 01:48 PM

The Boxster was great. I got it because it wasn't an American rust bucket or a BMW which are super common with businessmen around here. I have a second set of wheels with winter tires I swap in so I can drive it all year round. I test drove the Model S, and it is quite a bit heavier, most noticeable in parking lot conditions. There's no transmission so like an automatic theres less involvement in the driving. But even the 911's are going automatic with the PDK. I was hoping to last long enough to see more gen 2 EVs.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Well, two very thin children, apparently.
I mean....I’d obviously make them choose which is my favourite

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The Boxster was great. I got it because it wasn't an American rust bucket or a BMW which are super common with businessmen around here. I have a second set of wheels with winter tires I swap in so I can drive it all year round. I test drove the Model S, and it is quite a bit heavier, most noticeable in parking lot conditions. There's no transmission so like an automatic theres less involvement in the driving. But even the 911's are going automatic with the PDK. I was hoping to last long enough to see more gen 2 EVs.
I mean, they certainly are—you can’t argue with the absolute performance gains of PDK, particularly as argued by rich dot com nerds and middle-aged women who either can’t or don’t want to drive stick while stuck in traffic anyway, amirite? Let’s face it, auto is easier and more convenient and yes, I guess better performance on that racetrack you’ll never visit, too. But it doesn’t give you the same grin....

The S2000 is kind of like your mid-2000s Boxster, but less refined and a little more crazy. It’s wonderful. My daily driver is usually a city pickup truck that’s extremely convenient, practical and totally vanilla to drive......the idea of feeling every bump in the road a couple times a week sounds just about as good as I could hope for.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2019, 11:58 AM

Seconded the boring daily/fun second situation for those that can swing it. As someone that likes doing stupid shit to/with cars, it's nice having a boring car that needs nothing and can get you and yours wherever whenever. Then you can have an unruly, unreliable, enjoyable car for fun without worrying about what happens to it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2019, 11:29 PM

What about a fun daily driver and a MORE fun second car?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2019, 11:34 AM

go on...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2019, 07:46 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2019, 07:54 PM

This is what the tire stores should offer. Make an appointment and get a tire change and alignment, 3sec.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Saw this live. Still can't comprehend how fast it was. 1.91 seconds.

Good thing, too. Gasly has been needing all the help he can get. Would still like for him to bounce back and prove his value this season.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2019, 03:24 PM

No fuel?
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2019, 06:45 PM

I thought that was the guy in back.

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2019, 07:40 AM

There's no refueling in F1.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2019, 12:41 PM

IndyCar is going hybrid starting in 2022: Hybridhttps://www.indycar.com/News/2019/08...INDYCAR-Hybrid

The hybrid system will work in parallel with the internal combustion engines from Honda and Chevrolet, combining growing hybrid technology with the traditional power plants to produce in excess of 900 horsepower...
That's a 200 HP increase IIRC.

mindwaves
Aug 13, 2019, 09:05 AM

Thinking of buying a new car. Previous car was a Civic and current car is a CR-V. I live and work abroad, so I don't have access to my CR-V. Want to buy a car here. Choices here are pretty much the same in the US.

Requirements/desires:
1) 4 doors
2) more upscale/premium type of car than my last 2 cars, but doesn't need to be BMW/Audi type
3) female appeal (means females see it and think more highly of me)
4) $30,000-$45,000 USD
5) not a dead-end car like Lexus IS/GS (Lexus may be phasing them out)

I'm thinking of Subaru Forester, VW Golf (maybe?), Lexus ES. Any suggestions? I would buy an Equus G70 (money notwithstanding), but they don't sell them here.
Going to probably buy a Model 3 on the 18th. Red exterior and with black seats.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2019, 06:34 PM

Get yourself an electric classic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48956000
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2019, 10:02 PM

Going to probably buy a Model 3 on the 18th. Red exterior and with black seats.
After trying it recently, I really hate the touchscreen. Knobs. Buttons. Tactile feedback. That’s where it’s at.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2019, 10:54 AM

Can you talk to it to get it to do stuff?

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
After trying it recently, I really hate the touchscreen. Knobs. Buttons. Tactile feedback. That’s where it’s at.
All the cars I’ve seen have gone all-in on touch with their redesigns. How could it go wrong?...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
All the cars I’ve seen have gone all-in on touch with their redesigns. How could it go wrong?...
Ford tried that and ended up backing off. This is the 2011-2014 Edge:

It's a crappy resistive touch screen and crappy capacitive touch panel below. The only physical control on the entire thing is the volume knob.

Here's the 2017:

The new SYNC 3 setup has CarPlay and a capactive touch screen that's way better, plus they went back to physical buttons below.

The Lincoln MKZ was even worse - the volume control and fan speed control are touch-sensitive sliding...things. Like you sweep your finger across it to increase or decrease volume. It's terrible.

For 2017 they went back to physical buttons.

Of course, it still has that stupid push-button shifter that solves exactly zero problems.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2019, 11:55 AM

I was so excited when I my steering wheel first came with volume buttons.

Never used them. The knob is easier and more precise.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2019, 03:33 PM

Assuming it’s even possible to tell what that metal plate I’m clamped to on the lower left is, have I picked a bad place for a negative jumper cable?

Right now it’s just a trickle charger, which the circuitry theoretically keeps from sparking, but that’s obviously not the case with a jumper.

Here’s a larger picture if it helps figure out just WTF I’m clamping to, anyway. Last car had a purpose-placed bolt for the negative.

Forum Links
Forum Rules