Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Hey Apple launched a new iPhone

Hey Apple launched a new iPhone
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2020, 04:32 PM

Time was a thread would be sixty pages long before the keynote even finished.

I like the iPhone 12. it is very nice.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2020, 07:24 PM

Still sporting the 64GB XS Max. I’ll be making the last payment this month. I will evaluate my options in a month or so, I may go Pro Max.
45/47

P
Oct 13, 2020, 07:38 PM

Im not getting a new one any time soon (still on an 8 here) but the 12 mini actually looks like something I might get.

New HomePod mini as well, cheap enough to almost be an impulse purchase. If only I didn’t already have like 4 different portable speakers for my phone.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Oct 13, 2020, 08:18 PM

The 12mini is only slightly smaller than my 8 - although with edges more screen. Kid is ready for a real phone but prefers a smaller phone that is easier to carry. SEv2 is the same size as the 8, basically.

RIP small phones.

P
Oct 14, 2020, 04:53 AM

It’s about 5% smaller. If it had been made in the style of the iPhone 6-7-8, it would be a 4.4-4.5” phone or so. That is positively minuscule today. I don’t think they will make anything smaller in ever.

Also realized that Apple is saving me from HomePod mini impulse purchases by not launching it here
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2020, 07:35 AM

iPhone 12 product Red looks like the sweet spot for me. Don't need above base storage never got near the 64 on my XR. Have been using a spare 7 for the last 4 months waiting for Apple to launch these after my XR got melted in the car fire. It was sooo bad that I nearly gave in and pulled the trigger on an 11. Now I'm glad I managed to hold off.
In the UK its offered with 36 monthly payments so these things creep up. Happier with 24 really. 36 is pushing the phones operational window I would have though, but of course that's the plan I'm sure.

I much prefer the return to the flatter design ethic, always liked the 4/5 design so this is a win win for me.
Roll on Friday!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 14, 2020, 01:59 PM

Just when I had decided I'd be fine with my X indefinitely, they go and release the 12 mini. 1/2" shorter and 1/4" narrower is a huge deal. The screen isn't that much smaller, and it'd pocket so much better. Seeing what my X is worth on Craigslist now...
edit: If I could get $400 for the X, then floating $350 for a 12 mini 128GB isn't that bad...

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2020, 08:36 AM

Ordered.

P
Oct 21, 2020, 07:53 AM

As I understand it:

iPhone 12 is the iPhone 11 Pro size with the 11 Pro display quality and the 11 Vanilla size.
12 mini is the same as the 12, but in a size between the 5 and 6
12 Pro is the 12 with a fancier camera
12 Pro Max is the humongous size as usual.

No reviews out of the last two yet, but from the reviews I have seen, I don't understand who would buy the 12 Pro. Some people want the enormous one so fine, they have the Pro Max as usual, but the regular Pro? Don't get it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 08:07 AM

I need desktops/laptops for the Adobe suite, and Logic. I only use my (5 year old) iPad for reading and some light gaming.

Literally everything else I do with my phone. It’s the most important computer I have.

Because of that, it’s worth it to me to always have the top model.

Thorzdad
Oct 21, 2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
12 mini is the same as the 12, but in a size between the 5 and 6
This was a real head-scratcher. I was excited about the 12mini until I realized it was smaller than my 6s. I think those of us who say they prefer a smaller phone would tend to consider the 6/6s to be pretty close to ideal, but anything smaller misses the mark. It's almost like Apple built a small phone to prove no one really wants small phones?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 10:46 AM

The 6 is about 10mm shorter than the 12 Pro, and a few mm less wide. They’re almost the same size.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 11:08 AM

Just remembered I still have my old 6s. That’s an 11 Pro next to it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
This was a real head-scratcher. I was excited about the 12mini until I realized it was smaller than my 6s. I think those of us who say they prefer a smaller phone would tend to consider the 6/6s to be pretty close to ideal, but anything smaller misses the mark. It's almost like Apple built a small phone to prove no one really wants small phones?
No, it looks absolutely PERFECT.

The 6s is already too big, and the display of the 12 mini is considerably larger.

A pocketable phone with post-X tech. Awesome. It’s not *quite* enough of an upgrade over my XS, but if they keep the form factor, I am so in next time around.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 06:52 PM

I dunno if you’ve all seen this, but this is a bit more comprehensive than Apple’s “compare” page:

https://phonesized.com/compare/#1582,587,1581,368

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2020, 07:27 PM

That tool is kinda clunky because of all the adzzzz, but it’s a cool means to actually see differences. Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Oct 22, 2020, 08:29 AM

No, it is certainly not too small. The display is the same size as the 6+ in a format that is smaller than the 6. I would have preferred something with the display the size of the 6 in an even smaller outline, but I can see the argument that this makes sense.

Looking back at the days of the 6 launch, you had more or less these people:

1) They're all too large! I want something smaller that I can hold! I'll get a 5s now and wait until they release something my size again. (This is me, btw)
2) Heck yeah, larger phones finally! I'll pick the 6 as it is the best compromise between screen size and pocketability.
3) That 6 or even 6+ display is great, I just wish that it were easier to hold.
4) The bigger the better, I'll pick the 6+ because there isn't anything bigger.

The 12 mini is great for group 3. For group 1, it is the best thing on the market by about a mile and probably good enough. Group 2 can pick between the 12 mini (slightly smaller outline, bigger display) and the vanilla 12 (slightly larger outline (4mm wider), much bigger display). For group 4, the market is full of phones for them.

The more I look at this line up, the more I think that this is the first real update for the regular-priced iPhones since the 6. I actually want a new iPhone no.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That tool is kinda clunky because of all the adzzzz, but it’s a cool means to actually see differences. Thanks!
I…don't see any ads.

Thorzdad
Oct 22, 2020, 11:00 AM

Wow. That phone size tool really clears things up! I retract my disappointment over the 12 mini.

And, yeah...ads? What ads?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2020, 01:00 PM

Link credit: Got that via LoopInsight.com

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2020, 05:39 PM

I got Google ads, “Just Answer” and such, but I’m surfing with my iPad (and Chrome for iOS apparently doesn’t do ad blocking at all...).

Anyway, while my wife and I each have a “perfectly good” iPhone 8, she’s liking the mini’s outline. “As women’s pockets keep getting smaller” as she notes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2020, 01:31 PM

This was a real head-scratcher. I was excited about the 12mini until I realized it was smaller than my 6s.
I went from a 5 to a 6 and hated how big the 6 was, and my X is even bigger. But in both cases, the upgrade in camera quality was worth it. I'd love to do the 12 Mini.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Literally everything else I do with my phone. It’s the most important computer I have.
I'm the opposite. I hate using my phone for web browsing or email or anything else because multitasking is so clunky and mobile apps/sites are typically dumbed down and less useful. I'd rather grab the MacBook Air or just go to the desktop and actually get stuff done.

Thorzdad
Oct 26, 2020, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm the opposite. I hate using my phone for web browsing or email or anything else because multitasking is so clunky and mobile apps/sites are typically dumbed down and less useful. I'd rather grab the MacBook Air or just go to the desktop and actually get stuff done.
Same here. I use my phone for phone stuff and texting. I don't even have an email address synced to it. I might give ApplePay a try once I venture out into public enough to where I can actually use it.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2020, 06:01 PM

I don’t “browse” so much as I depend on quick searches to get me information. Usually it’s looking up medications or conditions, or things like that.

But I also use the phone to show patients things like Human Anatomy Atlas illustrations (“so here’s what a normal femur looks like, and you broke yours up here...”), and often I need to use translation applications too. So a bigger, clearer display is even more important, since many of my patients have vision issues - seeing the pictures or the translated text is much easier with a bigger display.

And putting that display in a package that fits in my scrubs much more smoothly than my 8 does is very interesting.

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2020, 11:52 AM

If I am at home, or with wifi, my phone doesn't get much use. The ipad travels with me nearly everywhere for reading, social, light gaming, and minor video watching (not movies, occasionally netflix, mainly youtube/fb). Anything that needs to be done for work goes to a larger screen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2020, 09:34 AM

The reason I default to my phone is I’m restless, so I pace. Like, a lot. More than a couple miles per day.

If I could sit the **** down, it wouldn’t be so central.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2020, 11:28 AM

You should pick up smoking.

Thorzdad
Nov 3, 2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You should pick up smoking.
Seriously! He does live in a legal state.
Or, did you mean tobacco?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2020, 07:07 PM

Pot does nothing for it, and I try real hard.

Embarrassingly, smoking cigarettes is another thing which factors into me being so phone oriented. Phone leaves me a smoking hand free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules