Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 15)
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2020, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Trump doesn’t need rallies. His health has just commandeered the media zeitgeist for the next 14 days. At least.

If it’s not apparent how rage towards Trump factors heavily into the Democrats’ campaign strategy, I don’t know what to say.

Go to all your left wing friends and tell them, “you know, I’m just not really all that angry at Trump”.

Compare and contrast with “you know, I’m just not really all that enthusiastic about Biden”.
Ok it was after our election but when Boris went down with it after failing to follow even the most rudimentary guidelines there was very little improvement in his ratings as a PM. While no-one was exactly gloating in his situation and he was a lot iller than Trump so far seems to be the general feeling was "bell end acting like a bell end catches disease like a bell end" (ie entirely unnecessarily unlike key workers who had zero choice about working in infected conditions)

Thanks fully he recovered but returning to work his brush with cover death hasn't seemed to have motivated him to take the disease any more seriously and the general feeling is still "bel end acting like a bell end"

I can't see Trump benefitting in any meaningful way from getting this. I can see it helping Biden but at this point as others have pointed out about 90% of the electorate are locked in. Its the remaining 10 that will swing it and I would imagine that Trump has hoovered up 100% of the people blazingly stupid enoug to want four more years of the last four years only worse leaving the vital 10% to Biden or some weird form of feeling that voting doesn't matter.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2020, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Anger and rage are two different things. Rage is blind whereas anger doesn’t need to be.

Regarding Trump’s commandeering of the media, under normal circumstances Trump is good at deflecting medical a attention from one topic to another. But these aren’t normal circumstances. Any mention of COVID is IMHO a net negative, based on his actual record with an immediate impact to a large share of the American population, including the sliver of persuadable voters. Trump cannot steer the discussion away from COVID in the next two weeks.
Every campaign has the same strategy: shit on the opponent.

You can’t shit on a guy in the hospital. It’s bad optics.

The Democrats won’t be able to help themselves, and it’s going to rub people the wrong way.

If I’m writing a story where I want an intractable villain, I don’t have the hero beat the villain to death with an IV stand while he’s lying in bed.

OreoCookie
Oct 3, 2020, 07:15 AM

Every campaign has the same strategy: shit on the opponent.
I don’t agree, and I see no evidence that the Biden campaign in particular is trying to shit on Trump. They — smartly — let Trump do the talking.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2020, 08:22 AM

Biden campaign has pulled negative ads, sent supportive tweets, and been a class act. Are there people out there rubbing their hands with glee? yes. It has been pointed out that more than these rich people who will get the best care, we should worry about White House staff who have likely been exposed as well. How good is insurance for them???

This morning they are tracing the effects to the Amy announcement, this photo from politico shows all the front row has now tested positive. The people who are now positive were hugging people, shaking hands, not wearing masks, sitting very close together. The Trump admin is responsible for these illnesses and any deaths that construe.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...-425041?update

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2020, 11:39 AM

Karma sure is a bitch. “God is an iron.” Look it up.

Sympathy is a stupid response here. I do NOT want Donny to die. But I DO want to feel that he gets a taste of how unpleasant being really sick is.

I was out sick all this past week with “something.” I got the most definitive COVID test available, the nasal swab, which by itself is an ordeal. I’ve had flu tests where they swab your nose - those use a fairly small swab which goes into the nasal cavity just past the external part of the nose. That wasn’t fun. The COVID test goes WAY farther inside with a much larger swab. It felt like that scene in “Total Recall” where Arnie’s character pulls the tracker thingie out of his nose. But once for each side. It took almost 24 hours to get the results too. The waiting wasn’t much fun either.

Being diagnosed, with known comorbidities, has to be much worse. “Am I going to get sick? How sick? How bad will it feel?” Etc. And the best medical care in the world won’t change how the disease progresses, so “your money and your position really don’t matter at all”. I don’t want Donnie to die. But I DO want him to worry a whole lot.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 3, 2020, 11:44 AM

Turns out there was a large indoor get-together for the Cony-Barrett announcement, too. Lots of mask-free face-to-face.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 3, 2020, 01:03 PM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don’t agree, and I see no evidence that the Biden campaign in particular is trying to shit on Trump. They — smartly — let Trump do the talking.
No need to shit on Trump. Just remind people how he has shat on them for four years. Because he did it so much they will have forgotten 90% of it.
The problem is that even that can look like you're shitting on someone while he's down.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Oct 3, 2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
No need to shit on Trump. Just remind people how he has shat on them for four years. Because he did it so much they will have forgotten 90% of it.
The problem is that even that can look like you're shitting on someone while he's down.
I agree that at times you have to walk a fine line. Being concerned or angry about substantive matters can turn into politics of rage. But IMHO there is a big difference between fearing that “our guns are being taken away” even though gun laws have continually been relaxed over the last two, three decades, and between the current president’s mishandling of a pandemic or his racist overtones or President Trump’s refusal to accept the outcome of the election.

OreoCookie
Oct 3, 2020, 06:06 PM

AFAIK the quote was later attributed to the President’s Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 3, 2020, 06:20 PM

Chris Christie has been hospitalized now. That Cony-Barrett announcement seems to have been quite the gift that keeps on giving.

Serious question...Can someone who had COVID but recovered still be a carrier/transmitter? Apparently, Cony-Barrett herself had COVID back in early summer.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 4, 2020, 07:47 AM

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 5, 2020, 02:13 PM

reader50
Administrator
Oct 6, 2020, 01:01 AM

So Trump got bored in the hospital, and let himself out. He's still contagious, and took off his mask at the White House for photos.

Dr. Conley claims it's been 72 hours since Trump's last fever. This doesn't say much - one of the medicines he's on suppresses fever response.

Looks like he'll resume infecting his closest supporters. He even wants to hit the campaign trail again, soon. Natural selection in action.

OreoCookie
Oct 6, 2020, 02:21 AM

This seems very ill-advised. I've read elsewhere that VP Pence is continuing to hold campaign events and is often seen without a mask. WTF is going on? This is where my understanding of American affairs, especially American conservatives stops: wouldn't it be smart to make sure the VP is okay, just in case? Wouldn't it be smart to perform the most stringent form of contact tracing inside the White House? Wouldn't it be smart for the President to stay in hospital for a little longer? Why didn't Trump leave a 25th Amendment note with Pence just like Bush 2 did on two occasions? Nothing I have listed has a partisan bent. Quite the contrary, third in line is, hmmm, let me check, a Ms. Nancy Pelosi.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2020, 04:18 AM

I don't know why you think smart would come into it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Oct 6, 2020, 04:29 AM

I don't know why you think smart would come into it.
I don't know. German conservatives do lots of things that I disagree with, but they are neither suicidal nor do I think they would hold back important information from the public when it comes to the pandemic. And usually I can discern the inner logic of their thinking even if I happen to disagree with it. But American conservatives seem to go against things at the very bottom of their own hierarchy of needs.

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2020, 10:33 AM

It's about the optics. Much better to be macho and pretend you've overcome the illness (so you were never wrong about it, nope, not wrong, never wrong).

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 6, 2020, 11:20 AM

Everything the guy tweets and says right now is so obviously coming from a serious steroid high. Of course he feels better than he did 20 years ago. That's what steroids do, especially the industrial-strength doses he's been getting (and likely continues to get).

If Mr. I-Don't-Drink-Or-Do-Drugs isn't careful (or, if his docs aren't total supplicants) he's going to find himself hooked and we're going to have roid-rage added to his usual bag of insanity. Fun times.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2020, 06:53 PM

The UK media has spotted he's still quite unwell. Has the US media?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/trump...cony-13377605/

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 6, 2020, 07:58 PM

Stephen Miller has tested positive.
Our thoughts and prayers are with COVID tonight, in light of this terrible news.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2020, 01:11 PM

The UK media has spotted he's still quite unwell. Has the US media?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/trump...cony-13377605/
Is Metro a valid news source? Because holy shit these are reeeeally bad "related" articles. A lot to unpack there.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2020, 05:32 PM

Its a free paper they give away on buses. But the BBC had a similar story with a GP analysing Trump looking feeble and ill and pretending not to.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 14, 2020, 07:30 PM

White House informally endorses letting pandemic spread unchecked

All together now, kids...”It’s a death cult!”

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 20, 2020, 03:28 PM

Every resident in Kansas nursing home has contracted COVID. 10 have died.

I’m only dropping this here only because my wife is from Norton, and has had family at this nursing home in the past. It’s kind of the only nursing home in the area. Maybe the entire county. Norton’s also the home of the filthiest Pizza Hut I ever had the unfortunate luck to drink 3.2 beer in.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 20, 2020, 04:47 PM

My mom was complaining yesterday about something she saw on Facebook about how people weren't being allowed to visit nursing home residents and how sad it was. You know what's more sad, mom? THOSE NURSING HOME RESIDENTS BEING DEAD. She's lost 9 family members and/or close family friends this year. Two were COVID for sure (my great aunt and uncle), and I don't know about the rest. You think she'd connect some dots here, but she's so far down the Facebook misinformation hole that she'd never see it.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 31, 2020, 08:43 AM

The Spanish paper El Pais has put together this very informative piece on how COVID spreads and the variables affecting the spread. Great use of graphics to explain it all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2020, 08:24 AM

The Illinois Restaurant Association had a meeting with with the governor about easing restaurant restrictions.

Restaurant representative had the plague. Now the association and the governor are quarantined.

Prediction: restaurant restrictions will not be eased.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 7, 2020, 09:30 AM

Trump's Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has tested positive.
I guess he wasn't kidding about the White House giving up on trying to contain the virus.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 9, 2020, 05:49 PM

Ben Carson has now tested positive.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2020, 02:17 PM

With restrictions tightening again in many states, some familiar behavior has returned.
Looking for toilet paper? Good luck.

A surge of new coronavirus cases in the United States is sending people back to stores to stockpile again, leaving shelves bare and forcing retailers to put limits on purchases.
Better beat the rush. Get to your local store immediately and buy all the TP in reach. Because you can solve even the most complex medical problems with a good flusher, and enough paper.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2020, 03:02 PM

I still have 40+ rolls, all purchased before COVID.

Paper towels are running low, though. Only 5 of those.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2020, 02:43 AM

Well stocked on the butt paper. Lockdowns seem inevitable though.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 19, 2020, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Lockdowns seem inevitable though.
Not here in spiking-through-the-roof flyover country, they don't. The streets could be hip-deep in bodies and the Mah Freedumz! crowd will still hold sway in the legislatures.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2020, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Not here in spiking-through-the-roof flyover country, they don't. The streets could be hip-deep in bodies and the Mah Freedumz! crowd will still hold sway in the legislatures.
Do people over there have an understanding that just because they can still congregate in bars, partake in mass orgies etc, they don't actually have to?

In cases where the state government is obviously letting the population down there seems to be very little attempt at individual responsibility. Not that this excuses the state governors, but still...
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2020, 02:25 PM

I have been carefully taking advantage of curbside food pick up for pretty much the whole pandemic. Today, after a workout, my wife and I went to our favorite curbside for breakfast...

The inside of the restaurant was pretty full, and it was like masks were magic talismans that would protect you by simply touching them to your face - even momentarily and even just barely touching.

Meanwhile, with over a quarter of a million people dead from this virus, and the largest spike in cases since March (and I think the steepest increase rate ever), the whole "pandemic fatigue/'my right to not act like an adult'" meme is accelerating.

And now here we are at the end of the year when people traditionally gather large groups of people in very small spaces. What could possibly go wrong with a big family Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? Other than horrible death for many people, of course.

Yes, I'm disgusted.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2020, 02:30 PM

Encountered my first jackass today who was right up on me when I was waiting in line at the coffee place.

Probably should have asked him to back off, but that’s a crapshoot.

[City and state are on official lockdown since earlier this week.]

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2020, 06:47 PM

If they don't value their own lives, why should they value ours?

I regularly see people wearing those famous chin-masks in the grocery store. Keeps your chin safe and warm.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 21, 2020, 09:54 PM

So, Don Jr. has tested positive.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If they don't value their own lives, why should they value ours?

I regularly see people wearing those famous chin-masks in the grocery store. Keeps your chin safe and warm.
Once I sensed him behind me, I looked back for a “mask check”, and at least he had it fully on.

When it was just me between him and the counter (in other words when he was in a position to have multiple people give him shit), he suddenly started distancing properly.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 28, 2020, 10:44 AM

Scented candles: An unexpected victim of the COVID-19 pandemic? Apparently, there has been an uptick in complaints to Yankee Candle about their candles having no scent.

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2020, 12:20 PM

Um... oh dear. Did customer service ask them if their taste is off too?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 28, 2020, 12:54 PM

I wonder if the same people complain about mirrors becoming lower quality over the years.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2020, 05:20 PM

I’m a cynic, sure, but after the SCOTUS ruling yesterday, I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow mask mandates end up overturned on religious freedom grounds (reverse burka?).

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2020, 05:21 PM

Encountered my first jackass today who was right up on me when I was waiting in line at the coffee place.

Probably should have asked him to back off, but that’s a crapshoot.

[City and state are on official lockdown since earlier this week.]
That happened to me at a nursery in May. His response was “there ain’t no Corona... it’s fake news!”

Good for you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I’m a cynic, sure, but after the SCOTUS ruling yesterday, I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow mask mandates end up overturned on religious freedom grounds (reverse burka?).
Even though I think everyone should wear a mask, the idea of forcing it kinda rubs my libertarian side the wrong way.

Haven’t the faintest idea whether it’s actually constitutional or not.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 28, 2020, 06:15 PM

Laws require certain minimum clothing to be worn. Between a public health emergency and clothing-decency precedents, I expect officials can dictate an article be worn.

The court cases typically involve unequal treatment. ie - churches have smaller allowed occupancy than other businesses. Which happened because of some early super-spreader events traced to churches, that were not well-understood at the time. Today we know that coughing, shouting, and singing are all equivalent. Do them in an enclosed space, and you get more cases.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 28, 2020, 06:45 PM

Even though I think everyone should wear a mask, the idea of forcing it kinda rubs my libertarian side the wrong way.

Haven’t the faintest idea whether it’s actually constitutional or not.
Like those pinko commie seatbelt laws?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2020, 07:06 PM

Minimum clothing laws have a few complications. Namely, they vary by state, and I’m sure plenty of more conservative states have unenforced clothing laws on the books.

If I dispense with all that and make a general statement, the de facto clothing minimum is, well... minimal. It’s a whole lot less than what people normally wear, which is as I think is as it should be. There can be a minimum, but it really needs to be a minimum.

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2020, 07:06 PM

In New Hampshire, the Live Free or Die state, you literally do not have to wear a motorcycle helmet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules