Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Spring Loaded"

"Spring Loaded"
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 20, 2021, 01:37 PM

Colors????

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2021, 02:45 PM

No user addable RAM?
No price for 2TB SSD 16GB model, which is the one I’ll consider to replace my late 2013 27” fusion drive iMac.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Apr 20, 2021, 03:22 PM

They went for thinner and lighter. Again.

At this thickness, it's hard to see how the SSD could be a replaceable module. And I'm not seeing screws for the user to open & upgrade. Not seeing many port types either.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2021, 04:09 PM

These are the consumer ones... that said, I was pretty underwhelmed by everything today.

I still don't know who the target audience is for a super high powered iPad. I'm sure that some people buy them, but how many really need that much horsepower in an iPad?

I like the idea of colors, and I like the darker tones on the back... but the front of these iMacs are pretty ugly. White bezels? Those easter color chins? I'm just not feeling it. 2 USB-C ports on the low-end? No USB-A on a desktop?

Apple TV is $179? Is Apple aware that every TV sold these days has smart functionality that's good enough for like 99% of the population? And a Roku is like $40 bucks? The target market for these is shrinking all the time, while the price goes up and all the new features are mostly meaningless to most people?

Airtags seem fine. I'll buy at least 2.

How much are those Touch ID keyboards? I wouldn't mind one of those...

All I really want from Apple right now is a quality display that doesn't cost $6,000.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Thorzdad
Apr 20, 2021, 04:54 PM

Judging by the comments at places like Ars Technica, a lot of people are perplexed/pissed by the paltry base RAM.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2021, 05:03 PM

I mean, I get that, but M1 chips use Ram much more efficiently. Every M1 Mac for sale now offers 8 or 16 gigs of RAM. I'm sure these are the same. These are the consumer grade iMacs. These replace the 21" iMacs. I'm not surprised by the 8gb number at all.

An M1 Mac with 8GB of ram is probably more than enough for who these are targeted toward. The people who need more than that aren't the audience for these Macs.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2021, 06:51 PM

The iPad Pro is an impressive beast being able to run a Pro XDR display and all but as mentioned, does anyone need that? They are nice but they must be so niche.

The entry level iMac is pretty hobbled. One fewer GPU core won't make a huge difference but it doesn't have ethernet and only two USB/Thunderbolt ports. I wonder if you could add ethernet later by changing out the PSU (The ethernet port is in the PSU block on the bigger ones). I'm guessing you can but Apple won't admit/support it.

I really wish that Greenpeace and/or whoever would get on Apple's case regarding soldered SSDs and RAM. Its such a dick move and totally unnecessary. We've seen elsewhere today that big corporations will pull U-turns when pressured to do so.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2021, 07:51 PM

However super efficient Apple chips may be, software has a habit of expanding to take up more than the available RAM. Technically it is impossible to prevent all memory leaks, prevent any lost addresses, and so on - however good error checking has been at looking for such coding problems. So “minimal RAM” will eventually cause problems.

One of the things I personally like about (what I guess you’d call “legacy”) Macs is that their clean lines are complemented by simple, clean colors, like plain aluminum. Going with colors just seems like they’re just making random design ideas into real products. “Hey, for the next one, let’s put the USB-C port in the middle of the screen, so it’ll be really easy to find!”

I find it interesting that the current “Fox Trot” rerun comics are on the time period when the Fox family bought an “iFruit” computer, and that Mrs. Fox was taken by “all the cute colors.” I wonder if they knew something...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2021, 10:28 AM

Anyone else think its odd they kept the chin but ditched the Apple logo?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Apr 21, 2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Anyone else think its odd they kept the chin but ditched the Apple logo?
I think ditching the Apple logo is odd. As for the chin...That's a pretty handy place to hang post-it notes. I have four on the chin of my iMac right now.

I'm perturbed about the white bezels, myself.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 21, 2021, 11:08 AM

I want M1 in mini tower with a couple hard drive bays and PCI slots. Would be fine. I'm not buying a mini that beats the shit out of it's only SSD tho.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
These are the consumer ones... that said, I was pretty underwhelmed by everything today.
Can we expect “pro” iMacs in the near future? I use mine for video editing. I’ve been holding off on buying Final Cut after my free Amazon Prime copy was disabled after Catalina(?) for not being 64 bit, and my late 2013 iMac not making the Big Sur cut.
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2021, 01:45 PM

I mean, who knows, but it seems safe to assume they will come out this year. Probably the earliest would be WWDC. If they don't come out at the WWDC keynote, fall is a safe bet.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 21, 2021, 02:06 PM

I still don't know who the target audience is for a super high powered iPad. I'm sure that some people buy them, but how many really need that much horsepower in an iPad?
They're aiming pretty squarely at the Surface, assuming your workflow doesn't need a full desktop OS to accomplish.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2021, 02:19 PM

Surfaces run full on windows though...

That's what I don't really get. I feel like this is a chicken/egg problem... like, what comes first, iPads capable of doing professional level tasks, or professional caliber software that people actually want to use in their daily professional workflow.

Apple keeps making eggs, but there are no chickens. Does that make sense?

Who is using last years iPad Pro and saying to themselves... man, I wish this thing was faster and more powerful... that's really what is holding me back...

I mean, it's not. The problem is that iOs is still not well suited to professional level tasks.

Who is the person who says... I have all of these super processor intensive tasks that I simply cannot do on an iPad Air or whatever? I'm sure there a few dozen, but how many?

I feel like the iPad Pro is more like a concept car. It's an aspirational goal designed for people willing to pay a hefty premium for the additional quality... but few if any actually need it for anything more than wanting the latest and greatest.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 21, 2021, 03:27 PM

I agree. Idk what the point is. Maybe video editing, sure, but only 2tb of storage... I mean... maybe?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2021, 03:47 PM

I feel like there are people out there who can use an iPad Pro as a high level pro machine for processor intensive tasks... but choosing to do so would be more of statement than a practical choice made because it honestly was the best tool for the money.

I know Apple's company line is not wanting touch in Mac OS, nut it's pretty clear we're headed that way. An iPad Pro with an M1 that can duel boot iOS and Mac OS and be used with a Mouse/Keyboard? That would be a cool product many people would actually have a real use for.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
I want M1 in mini tower with a couple hard drive bays and PCI slots. Would be fine. I'm not buying a mini that beats the shit out of it's only SSD tho.
I think the M1 doesn't do PCI-E like the Intel Macs did. Hence no MBP or 27"-30" iMacs. That'll be the big difference with the M1X or M2 or whatever they go with. PCIE4 or 5 with GPU support.

Now we have iOS and MacOS running on M1 I wonder how long before someone hacks one onto the other hardware.

andi*pandi
Apr 21, 2021, 04:01 PM

The new imacs look great. Majority of people don't tinker, but I can't imagine 8gb of ram being useful for anything but surfing, entertainment, and word. I have 32gb in a 2010 quadcore mac pro.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2021, 04:02 AM

The M1 Mac Mini with only 8GB of RAM can handle a Logic Pro project with over 1000 plugins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAUiFoYPtQ

These machines do not use RAM like Intel machines do. Its likely that Apple is concerned that buyers would be put off by a MacBook Pro with "only" 16GB RAM for marketing purposes (if you guys are hesitant, others will be too), but things are definitely different now.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2021, 05:23 AM

Interesting to see the iFixit teardown. Zero fixability I imagine. I guess they are fine as basic consumer machines, but at a half decent spec that are insanely expensive. The colours don't seem an organic part of the product in the way the old G3 iMacs did, more fashion forward. The performance looks like it will be good, the screens should be lovely to look at and use. 256GB Ssd won't be nearly enough but a LOT of people will be caught out on this not checking the specs, I have a few customers who are already screwed because they auto bought the low end 21/27 only to find the SSD is too small, soldered on and non upgradable. caveat Emptor I know but when selling tech kit to non techies some responsibility accrues.

Personally I think these are actually pretty ugly, the white belle is horrid and the missing logo makes it look odd.
Also they STILL haven't fixed the ^&*(*&^ mouse chagrinning.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2021, 08:56 AM

Maybe I’m an outlier here, but I absolutely love the new iMacs. Finally some bold colors! I want one in yellow, that much I do know. Purple is also nice. I understand that I can no longer upgrade it, but that’s the way things are going. Have I mentioned how gorgeous it is? The specs are great (with the exception of the RAM ceiling), it features a 1080p webcam, has a great screen and if my iPad Pro is any indication, good speakers. Plus, like someone here suggested, they put an ethernet jack in the power brick. Bravo.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 22, 2021, 11:03 AM

Cannot stand the white border around the screen. And no interest in something that will be out of date fairly quickly.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2021, 11:17 AM

I think they look really great from every angle except the one you look at all day long. (the front)

The side view is awesome, the profile is amazingly simple and thin... I love the dark bright colors on the back... but yeah, the pastel toned down color on the oversized chin? Yuck. The chin itself with no logo looks weird and white bezels are a huge turn off. I think this design will look great in dark grey or black so I anticipate the larger screen version will be a looker.

I finally figured out what it looks like though... it looks exactly like someone made a generic simple iMac icon, but then made a computer based 100% literally on that icon.

I bet these look better in the real world.

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2021, 11:52 PM

I think they look really great from every angle except the one you look at all day long. (the front)

The side view is awesome, the profile is amazingly simple and thin... I love the dark bright colors on the back... but yeah, the pastel toned down color on the oversized chin?
I absolutely love the two-tone look. The only thing is, and I think this is good overall, that some of the lighter colors I don't like. I love orange, but the front looks salmon-y. The iMac with the red back has rosé front. But that's the nice thing about colors: I love that they are polarizing and that you have your favorite. Since there are 7 colors to choose from (or 6 plus safe silver), I think that's enough variety.
Yuck. The chin itself with no logo looks weird and white bezels are a huge turn off. I think this design will look great in dark grey or black so I anticipate the larger screen version will be a looker.
To me the white bezels absolutely work. I'm bored with light and dark silver and black. I hope they'll do that to the iPhones next: bolder colors, please. Also, the chin, it has a purpose, and I assume it makes manufacturing the thing easier.

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2021, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Interesting to see the iFixit teardown. Zero fixability I imagine. I guess they are fine as basic consumer machines, but at a half decent spec that are insanely expensive.
That's the way computers have been going for the last decade-and-a-half. I've resigned myself to that fate, and it is ok. Just change your buying behavior, and you'll do alright.
The colours don't seem an organic part of the product in the way the old G3 iMacs did, more fashion forward.
Good design, I think, can be polarizing. But I think color is no less essential here than it was with the original G3 iMac.
The performance looks like it will be good, the screens should be lovely to look at and use. 256GB Ssd won't be nearly enough but a LOT of people will be caught out on this not checking the specs, I have a few customers who are already screwed because they auto bought the low end 21/27 only to find the SSD is too small, soldered on and non upgradable. caveat Emptor I know but when selling tech kit to non techies some responsibility accrues.
That's one of the biggest problems with Apple. Apple should bite the bullet and just start at 512 GB configs. Given SSD pricing, I doubt that'll add a substantial amount to their BOM. Just protect customers from themselves.
… and the missing logo makes it look odd.
The logo is on the back. My MacBook Pro also does not have a logo on the front either.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I absolutely love the two-tone look. The only thing is, and I think this is good overall, that some of the lighter colors I don't like. I love orange, but the front looks salmon-y. The iMac with the red back has rosé front. But that's the nice thing about colors: I love that they are polarizing and that you have your favorite. Since there are 7 colors to choose from (or 6 plus safe silver), I think that's enough variety.

To me the white bezels absolutely work. I'm bored with light and dark silver and black. I hope they'll do that to the iPhones next: bolder colors, please. Also, the chin, it has a purpose, and I assume it makes manufacturing the thing easier.
The chin is where all the computer parts are. You color comments are spot on. Like I've said, I really like the bold colors on the back, but the tones they use on the front do not appeal to me personally. I can get over a white bezel, but I do not want to stare at a washed out salmon colored chin for years.

I would LOVE to see a new MacBook style laptop in these colors. Well, the bold colors. I too am tired of all the grey. I'd love to buy a bright orange or green or purple laptop. Make it happen Apple!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2021, 03:00 PM

New iMac wallpapers are in the squares.

andi*pandi
Apr 24, 2021, 06:12 PM

clever monkeys.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2021, 06:49 PM

I haven’t had a chance to check out all of the photos - are the bezels white on all the colors of iMacs? I think that white space around the display would be better for visual attention than having the fancy color all the way to the edge of the screen.

And once again, it seems that they’ve gone another step toward the iMac being a “desktop laptop.” From the earliest aluminum Intel iMacs, these machines have both followed laptop design techniques and used laptop parts, seemingly more and more so. Not only not expandable, but pretty darn difficult to maintain,too.

Just for kicks, I looked up how hard it is to change the battery on three of my Apple devices: an iPhone 8, and iPad Air 3, and a 2013 vintage MBP. The batteries are glued into the cases, the cases are extremely complex to get open - not just because of glue and fancy fasteners - and everything inside is as tiny as possible. Not “unrepairable,” but certainly nothing for someone without lots of time and patience, and probably a lot of experience with these particular tools, connectors and machines.

When I upgraded my 2007 iMac to run Mojave, including a more modern processor and a big honking hard drive, while it was pretty fiddly, it wasn’t nearly as challenging as even suggesting opening any of my three “new” devices.

I think that if Apple isn’t pretty spot on for their choice of how much RAM they put in each new machine, that this is going to come around and bite them in the hiney.

OreoCookie
Apr 24, 2021, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I think that if Apple isn’t pretty spot on for their choice of how much RAM they put in each new machine, that this is going to come around and bite them in the hiney.
Oh yeah, like insisting on 16 GB as minimal storage for way, way too long. That contributed to my sister switching to Android — she no longer could update iOS as it didn’t have enough free space. :facepalm:

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 25, 2021, 11:04 AM

I like how Apple pretends to be super green and caring about the environment but refuses to build shit that is easily upgradable anymore.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 25, 2021, 11:16 AM

I like how Apple pretends to be super green and caring about the environment but refuses to build shit that is easily upgradable anymore.
I have to agree here. I can’t say I’m happy about it, but I’m sure a lot of new Macs will wind up as tech trash - like inkjet printers whose ink replacements are more costly than a new printer.

Unless Apple has built these machines to be future proof enough that they won’t feel obsolete in just a couple of years, this looks bad for the green community.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2021, 01:18 PM

Apple has given themselves the ultimate get out for the environmental argument. Don't want to throw your old Mac/iPhone/iPad in the trash? Apple will take it and recycle it for you. No charge.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have to agree here. I can’t say I’m happy about it, but I’m sure a lot of new Macs will wind up as tech trash - like inkjet printers whose ink replacements are more costly than a new printer.

Unless Apple has built these machines to be future proof enough that they won’t feel obsolete in just a couple of years, this looks bad for the green community.
My last iMac was twelve years old before I didn't bother repairing it (hard drive dead). A 2008 model that died last year.

That's a pretty good run.

I also sold my 13-year-old MacBook black, still working, to a collector for 40€ last year.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2021, 05:43 PM

Apple has given themselves the ultimate get out for the environmental argument. Don't want to throw your old Mac/iPhone/iPad in the trash? Apple will take it and recycle it for you. No charge.
I checked on the “trade in value” of my late 2013 27” iMac, $230, a tenth of what I paid.
45/47

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2021, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I checked on the “trade in value” of my late 2013 27” iMac, $230, a tenth of what I paid.
I don’t think this is bad, considering the age. I wouldn’t complain if I could use a computer for 8 years, sounds like a good investment to me. And I’d take the resale value. My iPhone 7 is five years old, going on six, I think. Only the battery is getting quite weak. But I can still deal with it.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2021, 11:25 PM

It makes me very sad that work is forcing me to send in a perfectly working 2010 mac pro tower to be recycled for security reasons (can't be upgraded they say).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2021, 03:19 AM

Cannot stand the white border around the screen.
They specifically called it „gray“ in the presentation, so I’m going to assume it’s the neutral gray (20%?) that graphics guys find the most useful contrast.

Which also explains the pastel front — you really don’t want a single colour screaming at a graphics person trying to grade an image or video.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2021, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It makes me very sad that work is forcing me to send in a perfectly working 2010 mac pro tower to be recycled for security reasons (can't be upgraded they say).
You can run a newer OS but since they are unsupported I guess that makes it a security risk. And a reliability risk.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 26, 2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Steal it. Seriously jsut go in on a weekend and nab it. I love my mac pro.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2021, 11:20 AM

Yeah, but where that falls apart is that (as far as I know) they have strict rules that everything that enters their recycle program gets scrapped instead of repaired and put back out into the market. The absolute best thing for the environment is keeping every device out in the world and useful for as long as possible.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
They specifically called it „gray“ in the presentation, so I’m going to assume it’s the neutral gray (20%?) that graphics guys find the most useful contrast.

Which also explains the pastel front — you really don’t want a single colour screaming at a graphics person trying to grade an image or video.
I seriously doubt many graphic design professionals will be using this machine as their main working computer. This is clearly the consumer/education model. I guess students might. I don't think the white is really that big of a deal. I used to do design work on those old white G5 iMacs. Those had white borders and I don't recall it being a problem at all.

Here's my hope (a guy can dream)... I hope this is the only iMac. I hope they change their "Pro" line away from all-in-ones. The should make a little box... the infamous X-Mac we've been wanting for a long ass time. Make it a little cube computer, similar to the Mini. Make that form factor be configurable enough that it can be equipped with either Mac Mini/Consumer guts or pro-level guts.

Make a Monitor that goes on top of this box and is designed to integrate with it. Maybe the power connector is on the bottom. I don't know... but I think it's time for them to separate the screen from the computer. Talk about environmental waste. Here's an area they can really improve.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 26, 2021, 01:08 PM

Core 2 Duo iMacs were white as well. I just parted mine out and recycled it. 32 bit EFI really hampered that thing from running a remotely modern OS, so web surfing was impossible.

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2021, 07:47 PM

Yeah, but where that falls apart is that (as far as I know) they have strict rules that everything that enters their recycle program gets scrapped instead of repaired and put back out into the market. The absolute best thing for the environment is keeping every device out in the world and useful for as long as possible.
Yes, although I'd argue that Apple is already doing way, way better than the PC industry average here. Still, I guess it could still do better.
I seriously doubt many graphic design professionals will be using this machine as their main working computer. This is clearly the consumer/education model.
Why? The only reasons I can see is screen size and — if you are a photographer — RAM. CPU- and GPU-wise graphics design isn't pushing machines these days, and the M1 is quicker than almost all Intel machines in almost all circumstances for those workloads. It is certainly faster than any Intel-based iMac, save for perhaps the iMac Pro if you can make good use of all the cores. I'm kinda confused why this (now false) common lore that graphics designers need beefier machines than an iMac.

For creative work most creatives I have in my life (my wife and a very close friend) are using their iPads.
Here's my hope (a guy can dream)... I hope this is the only iMac. I hope they change their "Pro" line away from all-in-ones. The should make a little box... the infamous X-Mac we've been wanting for a long ass time. Make it a little cube computer, similar to the Mini. Make that form factor be configurable enough that it can be equipped with either Mac Mini/Consumer guts or pro-level guts.
The xMac that won't die … 
I think a machine like this could actually be around the corner. Apple could just put the SoC it has designed for the 16" MacBook Pro and the big iMac into the Mac mini. If that featured 8+4 cores and significantly faster graphics, I'd say it is quick enough.
[…] but I think it's time for them to separate the screen from the computer. Talk about environmental waste. Here's an area they can really improve.
I think Apple should make a smaller, affordable screen one way or another. Lots of laptop users want a big Apple screen when they are sitting at their desks.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 26, 2021, 10:24 PM

What the hell kind of professional work comes off an iPad? People seriously get paid to make things on iPads these days? That's bizarre.

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2021, 10:36 PM

What the hell kind of professional work comes off an iPad? People seriously get paid to make things on iPads these days?
Illustrations. And yes, both, my friend and my wife get paid for it. (Although for my wife it is more of a skill she uses a few times a year in her current job, which is in controlling.) My friend bought an iPad Pro just for that, it replaced a Surface (I think the regular one, not the laptop-y one) and a “proper” Wacom tablet. For both the preferred software is ProCreate. That is seriously a steal and UI is genius and it costs next to nothing. My friend made me my book cover on the iPad (for essentially free), for instance.

I don't think it is bizarre. My wife's iPad is even a first-gen iPad, and it works just fine. Although I am sure she'd benefit from the 120 Hz/240 Hz refresh rates of screen/touch sensor of the newer iPads. Makes a big difference for hand writing, too.

Even though I am not doing illustrations, just writing, I use my iPad Pro daily, it allowed me to go paperless. My new book is edited entirely on the iPad, and I love it.
That's bizarre.
Why is that bizarre? People like to choose the best tool for the job, and an iPad allows you direct manipulation of the image. That is better than the Wacom tablets of yore where you'd have to separate the movement of pen and mouse cursor/virtual brush. Yes, you can buy a Wacom tablet with a screen, but they are expensive, much more expensive than an iPad Pro (although the new ones are getting there). The 120 Hz/240 Hz thing is a complete game changer in favor of the iPad, too.

But the biggest draw is new software like ProCreate. There are others, less well-known ones if you are into drawing manga. ProCreate looks simple, but is surprisingly deep and the UI is super efficient. Once you get to know it, I think few want to go back to a “proper” computer.

P
Apr 27, 2021, 06:56 AM

I guess if your design target is that it has to be stupidly thin, this is the best you can do. I just don’t see why that is a design target, but as long as there is another computer for me in the lineup, I don’t care. I hope one day there will be. Until then - this is Apple continuing all the things I don’t like about the 2012 model but seemingly not adding any more. That’s something, I guess.

RAM is not going to be replaceable on any M1 Mac because LPDDR4X does not come in DIMMs - it has to be soldered. And replaceable storage seems highly unlikely as well. Personally, I think 16GB RAM is fine, but 8GB isn’t workable anymore.

I like the colors, and please remember that all iMacs before 2007 had white borders around the display. Somehow we didn’t complain about it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Apr 27, 2021, 07:20 AM

What the hell kind of professional work comes off an iPad? People seriously get paid to make things on iPads these days? That's bizarre.
Illustration is one type of work being done on iPads. iPad Pros with Apple Pens. Also, stuff like costume design, character design, color studies, storyboarding, cartooning, etc. are being done on iPad Pros. Basically, anything that's more illustrative and hand-drawn, rather than traditional stuff like graphic design. And, even graphic designers use the iPad for rough sketches and the like.

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2021, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
And, even graphic designers use the iPad for rough sketches and the like.
Some illustrators like working with actual pens, too. But if the artwork is good enough, then you‘d scan it and trace the lines in your favorite app (on the iPad usually). I believe that is what the foldable transparent plastic cover was for on the Wacom tablets.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2021, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Why? The only reasons I can see is screen size and — if you are a photographer — RAM. CPU- and GPU-wise graphics design isn't pushing machines these days, and the M1 is quicker than almost all Intel machines in almost all circumstances for those workloads. It is certainly faster than any Intel-based iMac, save for perhaps the iMac Pro if you can make good use of all the cores. I'm kinda confused why this (now false) common lore that graphics designers need beefier machines than an iMac.
Well, you are 100% correct, although I would say that yes, screen size is the main problem here. There is this long-standing belief that you need high end equipment to be a designer, but it simply is not true anymore and hasn't been for a while. Maybe if you're working on massive (like, truly massive) photoshop files all day every day... but for the most part you can do your job on the lowest end machine they make with no problems.

I think the reason many design pros won't be using this isn't because they can't, but if you're a pro who uses a desktop and can afford it, you know a better machine is around the corner.

The vast majority of designers I know all work on a MacBook with an external monitor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules