Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 17)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 16, 2020, 09:58 AM

Laminar family COVID update. 7 (now 8, birthday happened over quarantine) y/o never showed symptoms. 2 y/o is spicy as ever. Wife is back to full health. I'm still dealing with a persistent cough. Doctor put me on an inhaler and codeine to treat. My dad has asthma, which has a strong genetic component. I've never been diagnosed but I'm sure my predisposition to it isn't helping.

My first day back at work was Monday, I came home pretty exhausted. Yesterday was better, an afternoon caffeine boost helped.

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 16, 2020, 11:12 AM

+1 for the codeine. I didn't think docs prescribed it anymore. Back in the day, you didn't need a script. All you had to do is sign your name at the pharmacy and walk out with a (bottle of the stuff for cheap..

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2020, 01:09 PM

There are still one or two over the counter products with codeine in the UK. Possibly its just the one now actually. You have to ask for it but its not prescription.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2020, 02:55 PM

Both my parents (87 and 85) had their COVID vaccinations today. Pt 2 in 21 days. My dad is higher risk/priority as he needs to start kidney dialysis in the new year, but he insisted they did my Mum at the same time as him, so they did.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 16, 2020, 03:09 PM

And now, a movie-related intermission.
Tom Cruise has been recorded screaming obscenities at crew members on his current film Mission: Impossible 7 after apparent breaches of on-set social distancing guidelines.

The Sun published an audio recording of Cruise shouting and swearing at film crew on the project, of which is he one of the producers, threatening instant dismissal of anyone found to be contravening distancing rules.
When I read the title, I thought it was a typical story. Movie star makes an ass of himself off-screen.

But after reading the story, I agree with him 100%. He's trying to protect thousands of peoples' livelihoods, and enforcing an (almost) zero-tolerance policy to make it happen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 16, 2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
But after reading the story, I agree with him 100%. He's trying to protect thousands of peoples' livelihoods, and enforcing an (almost) zero-tolerance policy to make it happen.
Hasn't he done that before? Didn't someone record him berating on-set workers?

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2020, 12:24 AM

Thought that was Bale?

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 17, 2020, 08:34 AM

My wife told me last night that their home healthcare company is seeing a major increase in COVID cases in both their clients and their caregivers now. Far more than they saw back in the spring.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 08:40 AM

Most of the schools in our metro area went fully online right before Thanksgiving and some just went back in-person this week. Additionally, Iowa's governor added some restrictions to bars and restaurants (like closing by 10pm, which is apparently somehow a restriction?).

Anyway, it looks like those moves made a huge difference on spread, as we're not seeing the giant post-Thanksgiving spike that we expected, and numbers actually trended downward for a while.

So they're lifting the bar/restaurant restrictions. Because people need to gather in large groups past 10pm more than people need to live.
( Last edited by Laminar; Dec 17, 2020 at 08:41 AM. Reason: b)

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 17, 2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Anyway, it looks like those moves made a huge difference on spread, as we're not seeing the giant post-Thanksgiving spike that we expected, and numbers actually trended downward for a while.

So they're lifting the bar/restaurant restrictions. Because people need to gather in large groups past 10pm more than people need to live.
Meanwhile, our governor is letting Indiana burn to the ground, leaning on "personal responsibility" rather than any actual restrictions. It ain't working, gov.

My wife has her lumpectomy scheduled for mid-January. One potential fly in the ointment is if the governor comes to his senses and finally imposes restrictions. Last spring, that included a moratorium on elective surgeries and, somehow, lumpectomies were considered elective and, thus, not performed until the restrictions were lifted. My wife's nurse told her it was a horrible time, having to deal with distraught and scared patients who were caught up in the restrictions. They hope, if the governor imposes restrictions again, that they won't include lumpectomies, but they just don't know.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Meanwhile, our governor is letting Indiana burn to the ground, leaning on "personal responsibility" rather than any actual restrictions. It ain't working, gov.
Yeah our governor tried to prevent schools from going online, and there's lots of hubub about the administration messing with positivity numbers, as that was a threshold they had set for allowing schools to go online.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2020, 11:40 AM

Laminar family COVID update. 7 (now 8, birthday happened over quarantine) y/o never showed symptoms. 2 y/o is spicy as ever. Wife is back to full health. I'm still dealing with a persistent cough. Doctor put me on an inhaler and codeine to treat. My dad has asthma, which has a strong genetic component. I've never been diagnosed but I'm sure my predisposition to it isn't helping.
Careful with the codeine. Apart from being addictive, it's an insidious bastard.

I found it put me in a film apart from reality without me realising it. I didn't feel "high" or giddy or anything, but I had serious lapses that I didn't catch until I was called on them, like leaving the storage bunker doors not just unlocked, but wide open, when I left rehearsal for the gig — not a good look considering the other, rather…volatile substances also stored in that bunker at the time.

I can vouch that it works to suppress coughing, but in retrospect, I'd do anything I could to avoid driving or managing serious decisions or processes, and I wouldn't take it a minute longer than I absolutely had to.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Careful with the codeine. Apart from being addictive, it's an insidious bastard.

I found it put me in a film apart from reality without me realising it. I didn't feel "high" or giddy or anything, but I had serious lapses that I didn't catch until I was called on them, like leaving the storage bunker doors not just unlocked, but wide open, when I left rehearsal for the gig — not a good look considering the other, rather…volatile substances also stored in that bunker at the time.

I can vouch that it works to suppress coughing, but in retrospect, I'd do anything I could to avoid driving or managing serious decisions or processes, and I wouldn't take it a minute longer than I absolutely had to.
I've been taking it in the evening only. Since I work around heavy machinery all day, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to be out of sorts in here.

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 19, 2020, 07:45 PM

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 29, 2020, 10:34 AM

The mistakes and the struggles behind America’s coronavirus tragedy. The New Yorker devotes an entire issue to America's still-unfolding COVID story.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2020, 12:43 PM

That's a heck of a read. Thank you for sharing.

andi*pandi
Dec 30, 2020, 02:43 PM

journalism. Nice to read the backstories of the people involved.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jan 10, 2021, 07:31 PM

In the prep for my wife’s lumpectomy this Friday, she must, of course, be tested for COVID. According to the doc, they are discovering that COVID and general anesthesia do not play well with each other at all. It makes sense when you think about it, but this is the first I heard of this.

OreoCookie
Jan 10, 2021, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
In the prep for my wife’s lumpectomy this Friday, she must, of course, be tested for COVID. According to the doc, they are discovering that COVID and general anesthesia do not play well with each other at all. It makes sense when you think about it, but this is the first I heard of this.
COVID introduces so many complications to other hospital patients. My mom currently does out patient chemotherapy (thank god she doesn’t have to stay in the hospital for that), and she is getting tested twice before she is allowed on the floor where oncologists administer the chemo — an antigen test first and a full PCR test. You don’t need to be a medical doctor to figure what will happen if someone carries the virus with themselves and infects other cancer patients.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2021, 06:46 PM

The COVID swab/PCR test appears to be the standard for diagnosis - and often for discovering someone has it without symptoms. Here’s a great explanation of the test from M.D. Anderson. I have to say that the major difference in “depth” between my last colonoscopy (I’m old enough for those) and my COVID test in September was that I had “conscious sedation” for the colonoscopy.

Two of my coworkers got their second Pfizer vaccine doses on Saturday. Both got “symptoms” including on and off fever, chills, etc. Technically this is to be expected, but the severity of their symptoms was enough to keep them from working for a couple of days. When they came back they didn’t look as bad as I did after my “not COVID” bug in September. However, another coworker got her second shot this morning and so far is doing fine. It seems to be very individual.

My wife got her first shot today, and I get my second shot next Monday. I’m really hoping that I have enough symptoms to say “hey, it’s working,” though I’ll pass on the “feeling like I can’t move” stuff...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Jan 13, 2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
... I’m really hoping that I have enough symptoms to say “hey, it’s working,” though I’ll pass on the “feeling like I can’t move” stuff...
There is that 5% who fail to develop immunity, presumably because their immune system ignores the vaccine. I expect that's what you're referring to.

I've been assuming that if you have no reaction, you could do an antibody test sometime after the booster shot. So if you are negative for antibodies, you could then take the other vaccine. Is this sound, from a medical perspective?

andi*pandi
Jan 14, 2021, 11:16 AM

Free FAQ and info on the vaccine:
https://www.nejm.org/covid-vaccine/faq

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 18, 2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
There is that 5% who fail to develop immunity, presumably because their immune system ignores the vaccine. I expect that's what you're referring to.

I've been assuming that if you have no reaction, you could do an antibody test sometime after the booster shot. So if you are negative for antibodies, you could then take the other vaccine. Is this sound, from a medical perspective?
Well I have indeed had enough of a reaction to know that my immune system is not ignoring the vaccine. Not at all...

Still, I don’t (at least not yet) feel like I’ve been run over, which is how some of my (noticeably younger than me) coworkers reacted. Which makes me wonder if I’m reacting differently because I’m older, or because in the early days of my Air Force career I was inoculated against all sorts of other nastiness. Like typhoid, smallpox, and similar yuck.

It is now almost exactly 12 hours since the shot. My coworkers all noted about a 12 hour delay of onset of their significant reaction symptoms. I noticed mild symptoms (headache, a bit of dizziness when standing quickly, feeling “odd”) within an hour or so of the injection, and there’s been a bit of malaise and maybe a touch of nausea. I’ve even had a mild fever on and off. But nothing horrible. Not yet, anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2021, 05:23 PM

I had a not-so-wonderful night. I had on-and-off chills and fevers, slowly working up to a high of about 100.8 (just after midnight - it woke me up) and then tapering off through the morning. I’ve felt anywhere from just tired to pretty crappy at times. But now, at mid-afternoon, I’m doing fine.

I had a “robust,” but not severe immune response. My typical response to vaccinations has been less noticeable but pretty similar. In fact, I can tell when the allergens are getting severe by having a bit of this same sort of feeling.

On the whole, I think this was a good trade off with the benefits of being vaccinated.

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2021, 05:46 PM

Glad to hear it!

Thorzdad  (op)
Jan 19, 2021, 06:10 PM

On the down side, the US is now at 400,000+ dead.

OreoCookie
Jan 19, 2021, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I had a not-so-wonderful night. I had on-and-off chills and fevers, slowly working up to a high of about 100.8 (just after midnight - it woke me up) and then tapering off through the morning. I’ve felt anywhere from just tired to pretty crappy at times. But now, at mid-afternoon, I’m doing fine.
At least you know the vaccine is working. Glad to hear the discomfort didn’t last long and you are up and running again.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2021, 10:10 AM

Laminar family Covid update. Daughter got exposed at her daycare AGAIN two weeks ago. Had to quarantine for two weeks AGAIN since we never got a positive test for her and we can't prove she had it. Since I have to be in the office, I shifted my schedule to 5:30-2:30 so I can get home and give my wife a few hours of peace and quiet to work without a three-year-old terrorizing the house.

Even though we're theoretically immune for now, we haven't really loosened up much. I'm still masked 100% at work and in public. Still no restaurants, still no visiting family or friends. I did take the kids into a couple stores to run errands with me, had to give the wife some peace and quiet if only for an hour or two. They are good about masking up.

Thorzdad  (op)
Feb 23, 2021, 06:32 AM

Thorzdad  (op)
Feb 24, 2021, 02:48 PM

Indiana dropped it's vaccine age to 60 on Monday. I hit the registration website practically as soon as I got the notification. The soonest I could get an appointment in my county was March 26.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2021, 11:25 PM

People are taking the piss. I know someone over there who got vaccinated weeks ago on the basis of being a health worker but they're in HR and working exclusively from home.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2021, 10:13 AM

I know someone this happened with. She’s an actual therapist at least, but it’s all still tele-health.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2021, 10:07 AM

30% of armed forces members are declining the vaccine when it's made available to them.

https://news.usni.org/2021/02/17/pen...s-have-refused

The rejection numbers are also occurring in the top categories the Pentagon wants vaccinated — strategic forces, health care workers, those deploying and the most vulnerable.
This seems like a miss. It would be interesting to know why they're rejecting the vaccine, especially since it's not just young, healthy, and lower risk individuals that don't want it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2021, 10:25 AM

A little more info here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/27/u...-military.html

Some reasons given:

1) Youth
2) Paranoia
3) If the military actually gives you the option to refuse something, you refuse

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2021, 11:02 AM

Woof.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2021, 11:09 AM

especially since it's not just young, healthy, and lower risk individuals that don't want it.
Is that part right? Reading over the USNI article I missed it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2021, 12:58 PM

It's the part I quoted above - by "the most vulnerable" I assume they meant old people or those with potential comorbidities.

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 1, 2021, 01:14 PM

When I signed-up to get my shot, I was also able to put my name in to a local pharmacy chain. They texted me over the weekend and said they had open vaccination times today, tomorrow, and Wednesday. So, I'm getting my first dose tomorrow afternoon, instead of March 26 at the county site.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2021, 01:41 PM

It's the part I quoted above - by "the most vulnerable" I assume they meant old people or those with potential comorbidities.
Gotcha! I was thinking that was code for “in Leavenworth”.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 7, 2021, 04:16 PM

I got annual flu vaccinations, vaccinations for Hepatitis A and B, and an assortment of “regionally necessary” vaccinations while on Active Duty...because I didn’t have a choice, mostly. However given the evidence I saw later for how “herd immunity” actually worked in connection with influenza, I am glad I got all of them.

Since then, getting annual flu vaccinations for work hasn’t been an issue. I just line up and get it, including this past fall’s roll out. I have treated (in very close contact with) dozens of people who may have been contagious with influenza, and over the years I have NEVER gotten influenza. Now that I’ve had both COVID shots, I am not feeling invulnerable, but I sure worry less about patients who aren’t checked for it but wind up coming down with COVID while they’re in my hospital.

I’ll bet there’s a catch for those GIs refusing a COVID vaccination. As in “you had a chance to avoid getting this disease, and now that you have gotten it, you aren’t deployable - and it’s your own fault.” Which is cause for disciplinary action, including jail time...

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2021, 04:24 PM

For everything not COVID, my attitude has always been “if I get sick, I get sick”. If I like you, you’re getting a big ol’ hug. I don’t care if you’re contagious.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2021, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
People are taking the piss. I know someone over there who got vaccinated weeks ago on the basis of being a health worker but they're in HR and working exclusively from home.
An acquaintance of mine, as well. „Health worker“, but he‘s in hospital management and has been in home office for a year now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2021, 12:48 PM

I know a guy who got a vaccination by impersonating a healthcare worker.

If that isn’t morally questionable enough, chances are they were asymptotically infected months ago.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2021, 01:23 PM

My PCP told me back in December that antibody levels seem to correlate with infection symptom severity, so someone who was asymptomatic can't necessarily assume the full level of natural immunity that a symptomatic case could.

An interesting phenomenon my wife was talking about was how some "red" states that performed poorly when it came to preventing or mitigating the virus are leading overall vaccinations levels because they're being less picky about who's eligible to get it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...46d_story.html

Of course, some places like Iowa are shitty all around, so that's cool.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2021, 01:29 PM

The thought is he has at least some immunity. He was at a party, and everybody at the party got it except for him.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 8, 2021, 01:54 PM

Was it one of those early Covid parties, for stupid people to intentionally infect each other?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2021, 02:22 PM

It wasn’t early, but was definitely for stupid people.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The thought is he has at least some immunity. He was at a party, and everybody at the party got it except for him.
Was there some kind of change of heart in there? If you believed Covid was harmless or a hoax enough that you were comfortable going to the type of party where everyone there got infected, why would you suddenly risk impersonating a health care working to get the vaccine?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2021, 06:51 PM

Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t really know him.

I know his mom, and she’s batshit. Like, “the government has turned the electrical wiring in my house into a listening device” batshit.

Edit: I should add that she isn’t some conspiracy theory person. Otherwise she’s normal, if a bit dumb. However she absolutely, positively will not budge from her position she’s being spied on with ultra-tech. You just have to nod your head along with her like with anyone suffering from an unshakable delusion.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 8, 2021 at 07:21 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2021, 08:17 PM

Was there some kind of change of heart in there? If you believed Covid was harmless or a hoax enough that you were comfortable going to the type of party where everyone there got infected, why would you suddenly risk impersonating a health care working to get the vaccine?
Because it was never about "I don't give a shit about Covid", it was always "I don't give a shit about YOU". You know, FREEDOMZ.

Which is why our right-wing #Covidiot Nazis were the first to cut in line when vaccinations became available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules