Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 6)
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2020, 03:32 AM

I wonder how this will play out for the Swedes who have gone an entirely different route regarding lockdown etc.

Looking at Africa and India it feels like Covid is going to rip through those places like wildfire given the lack of health facilities, the overcrowding and lack of response to social distancing.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2020, 06:29 AM

Brazil is also resisting precautionary measures. Theres a number of disaster areas ready to explode.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 31, 2020, 01:15 PM

As I've mentioned before, my wife works as administrator at a home healthcare service. Poop is now starting to hit the fan there, as clients are starting to cancel service out of concern for people bringing COVID into their homes. Not an unwarranted fear, of course, but definitely not good news for the company. Many nursing homes, rehabs, and managed care facilities have also gone on full lockdown, and the service's caretakers cannot get in to see the clients in the facilities.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 1, 2020, 02:22 AM

A well-educated county commissioner in Kansas.
Riley County Commission Chairman Marvin Rodriguez is downplaying the coronavirus problem in the Manhattan area, saying that it’s not as big a problem here as elsewhere because there aren’t many Chinese people.
While some churches are still holding full meetings despite lockdowns, a few have gone even further. Continuing to share communion spoons.
Last Sunday, the day after Romania had been put into a strict lockdown, footage emerged from the city of Cluj of priests using a shared spoon. In Georgia, while the church has told worshippers not to spend long periods of time in churches and not to come if ill, it has rejected calls to abandon the reusing of spoons, claiming that as communion is a holy ceremony it is not possible to get ill during it.
Before this is all over, I'm thinking there will be a lot of Darwin Awards handed out. Now if only we could give that award to the TP hoarders.

At least they caught the hand sanitizer pirate. Before he could get rich. This turkey rented a truck, and drove across Tennessee and Kentucky. Hitting store after store, buying 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer for about $1 each. Then as the pandemic grew, he listed them on Amazon and eBay for up to $70 a bottle. Managed to sell 300 before customers complained and the authorities got involved.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2020, 06:21 AM

How do the authorities get involved with that? Surely that sort of ruthless capitalism is the American Way? Especially under Trump.

On another note I really hope that Fox News gets sued out of existence when a bunch of viewers die from Covid-19 after being told its a hoax by Fox.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 1, 2020, 08:01 AM

“I haven’t heard about testing in weeks. We’re testing more now than any nation in the world. We’ve got these great tests. And we’ve come out with another one tomorrow that’s, you know, almost instantaneous testing. But I haven’t heard about testing being a problem.”
- D.J.T. during conference call with US governors, 3/30/2020

https://twitter.com/maddowblog/statu...11571194482689

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2020, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
How do the authorities get involved with that? Surely that sort of ruthless capitalism is the American Way? Especially under Trump.
must not have any lobbyists.
one post closer to five stars

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2020, 11:20 AM

****ing communism is what it is.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2020, 02:32 PM

Cornering the market and jacking up the price is communism?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2020, 04:48 PM

Cornering the market and jacking up the price is communism?
I suspect he means stopping people from exploiting the "market" is communism.

I always think of George Bush on TV in 2007 explaining that the banks etc had to be bailed out because the "market" was no longer working properly when what he really meant was the market wasn't doing what they wanted.

Anyone who thinks the free market really exists is an idiot.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 1, 2020, 05:48 PM

The big box places around here seem to be staying busy, and they aren’t (apparently) controlling the number of people in the stores. Every time I pass the closest Home Depot, the parking lot is pretty full...no line outside either. Thus I’m NOT going to a big box hardware/home improvement store any time soon.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2020, 07:04 PM

last weekend I ventured out.

Home depot near me had a corded off line to get in, socially distant spacing between people in line, people wiping down carts, and we were only allowed so many in at a time. checkout line also socially distant, only approaching the register when it was free.

True Value was even more controlled, and in a way more old-fashioned: walked in, met by a greeter, who then went and fetched my items from around the store, showed them to me for approval, suggested other items etc. Very nice people.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 2, 2020, 06:57 AM

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2020, 07:33 AM

I felt guilty enough at home depot getting stuff for small repairs and yard stuff (not exactly emergency supplies) but can't imagine crafting supplies as essential. Then again, does HL sell cloth to make masks with. :/

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 2, 2020, 09:37 AM

Has anyone here been able to be tested yet?

OreoCookie
Apr 2, 2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Has anyone here been able to be tested yet?
You practically can’t tested in Japan unless it is very likely that you are sick, so no :hmmm:

I have a bit of a cold with a scratchy throat and all (our two-year-old is the cutest incubator of germs), so every now and then I am wondering whether that’s it. Plus, I now know there is only a single degree of separation between someone who has been infected and myself: a member of our group has been to a pub at the same time as someone with Covid-19.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 2, 2020, 09:54 AM

Here in Indianapolis, Eli Lilly is providing testing, but only to healthcare workers with a doctor's order. And doctors are not blithely handing out orders. Other than that, it's pretty much as you say, Oreo. You only get tested if you're already seriously sick (and presenting with exactly the right symptoms.)

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 2, 2020, 09:57 AM

In other news, this happened in L.A. I've been waiting for the conspiracy nutjobs to start acting out. Didn't expect one to drive a friggin' train off the tracks, though.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 2, 2020, 12:15 PM

Hobby Lobby isn't just about crafts supplies. Recall, they fund antiquities smuggling, trying to buy early Bible artifacts for the founder's private museum. Which often turn out to be fakes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2020, 02:22 PM

In other news, this happened in L.A. I've been waiting for the conspiracy nutjobs to start acting out. Didn't expect one to drive a friggin' train off the tracks, though.
You didn't mention the best part: he was aiming for A NAVY SHIP !!1!1one

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2020, 07:18 PM

On another note I really hope that Fox News gets sued out of existence when a bunch of viewers die from Covid-19 after being told its a hoax by Fox.
Profiteering, while cleaning out (sorry for the pun) supplies in the process. Buy low, sell high is one thing, but this guy basically bought up everything, leaving nothing for anyone else.

It appears that state officials have “persuaded” the guy and his brother to donate their stash.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Profiteering, while cleaning out (sorry for the pun) supplies in the process. Buy low, sell high is one thing, but this guy basically bought up everything, leaving nothing for anyone else.

It appears that state officials have “persuaded” the guy and his brother to donate their stash.
Is that actually a crime though? I guess he could be reported to the monopolies and mergers commission or whatever they're called these days.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 2, 2020, 09:00 PM

A navy hospital ship that was obviously there for dark, nefarious reasons, no less.

OreoCookie
Apr 2, 2020, 11:19 PM

Is that actually a crime though? I guess he could be reported to the monopolies and mergers commission or whatever they're called these days.
I think it also serves as a bit of distraction. Is it douchy to do this? Sure. But stories like that make you forget about the problems the US has on a larger scale, if I were living in the US, I'd be much more angry at people and corporations that bear far more responsibility for the mess such as medical companies that has states bidding against one another or the Trump Administration's failure to make sure wide-scale testing is available to everyone.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 3, 2020, 12:11 PM

Douchey, yes. But also emptying stores so nobody else could buy ANY sanitizer for themselves changes it to something beyond that.

One or two hurricanes ago, a lot of states wrote or toughened laws against profiteering in emergencies. Gouging on gas prices, things like that, while people are trying to evacuate from a hurricane’s path is indeed a crime. Now let’s look at the current emergency. Is hand sanitizer any less important for sheltering in place than gasoline for evacuation?

reader50
Administrator
Apr 4, 2020, 03:55 AM

I got to wondering if Corona Beer sales have been affected by the coronavirus bad press. Some digging around says the answer is 'No'.

Sales of Corona (and other beers) did decline in China early in the year, while they were locked down. But no decrease (or increase) vs other beers. I expected sales to go up a bit. Corona parties, and gag gifts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2020, 04:50 AM

I’ve heard corvid sales have tanked.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2020, 07:26 AM

And in the Uk, in news that makes me wonder if perhaps we’d be better off just letting the disease take us all, people are assaulting and abusing telecoms engineers in the belief that corona virus is either spread by the 5G network.

Ah. Science.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 4, 2020, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
And in the Uk, in news that makes me wonder if perhaps we’d be better off just letting the disease take us all, people are assaulting and abusing telecoms engineers in the belief that corona virus is either spread by the 5G network.

Ah. Science.
Yeah. That bit of paranoia about 5G has been popping up in the conspiracy/q-anon crowds lately. It's scary how so many people seem so eager to believe bonkers crap like that.

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2020, 01:47 PM

I read a twitter thread by an engineer who said people saw the towers go up, and started complaining about headaches... before they were even turned on.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2020, 08:53 AM

Comet Atlas

https://astronomynow.com/2020/04/02/...5kgzgD1gcLeMEc

Either
Awesome astronomical display. Chance to see a visible to the naked eye comet in the northern hemisphere. #science
Or
OMG. Comet Coronavirus cause of cosmic calamity?
Deadly space rock could be source of virus. Where ancient people right to fear them. Warnings from history etc etc #socialmedia
Vote now.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 6, 2020, 11:10 AM

Looks like BoJo has been hospitalized.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2020, 03:43 PM

And now he’s in ICU. So much for his “herd immunity” ideas, eh?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2020, 03:43 PM

Looks like BoJo has been hospitalized.
He was hospitalized a while ago. He's in the ICU now.

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2020, 05:20 PM

He was hospitalised yesterday. I think he was in trouble by the time they took him in and tried to hide it as long as possible.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2020, 07:57 PM

Yep. Unfortunately, this was the the expected outcome.,

If only politicians would have to suffer more often from their stupid ideas.

-t

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 6, 2020, 08:08 PM

Anyone else struck by the irony of Boris now depending on the NHS to save his life?

OreoCookie
Apr 6, 2020, 09:26 PM

Apparently, he thought shaking the hands of infected was a good idea. Ugh, how idiotic.

By the way, how is the situation on the front lines, Glenn?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2020, 06:02 AM

Our government has been lying to us for weeks now. Its not on the scale of yours, but I think Boris has been in serious trouble since he was admitted and they're playing it down.
Its possible Raab and Gove have been doing Weekend at Boris' since Friday.

Disturbingly, the lies are working. The Brexit sycophants are still behaving like Boris can do no wrong and (its almost as if they copied and pasted it from somewhere) people are spreading the idea that if he survives it will make him an inspirational hero. It makes me sick to be honest. He's been part of the crew trying to destroy the NHS for a decade, he ramped up the Brexit bigotry that saw 30,000 NHS workers leave the country leaving us short even by underfunded current standards and then he ignores the science and gets himself infected, probably got a couple of other MPs and staff infected and certainly infected his pregnant girlfriend. Factor in his late, inept response to this crisis with the failing to buy ventilators, PPE for NHS and test kits even when offered them and he's clearly an irresponsible buffoon. Yet people are are claiming he's been brilliant. ****ing idiots.

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2020, 12:53 PM

People need to believe in the ****ing idiots, else realize how truly ****ed they are. I see the same thing on facebook for trumpers: Rational person: this is not great! Trumper: 4 more years snowflake!

reader50
Administrator
Apr 7, 2020, 01:17 PM

4 more years of what? I'm still not seeing the greatness returning. If this is where MAGA was supposed to go, we should have gone somewhere else. Most anywhere else.

Whoever does get elected is going to preside over a recession. Possibly a long one.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 7, 2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
4 more years of what? I'm still not seeing the greatness returning. If this is where MAGA was supposed to go, we should have gone somewhere else. Most anywhere else.
In MAGA world, though, this is the best of times. You can be a proud coal-rolling, stars-n-bars-waving, white-is-right, fascist in public now. Brown people are living in fear. We’re building das wall. The courts are quickly being packed with hard-right reactionaries. The gutting of the federal government continues apace. And, for the cherry on top, the libtards are having aneurisms over it all. Life isn’t just good, bro. It’s great!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I think it’s too early to tell.

One advantage that Trump’s MAGA has is that “bringing jobs back from China” is now more accepted and evident than before.

Even Trump haters see that the single dependence on China for most of our supply Chains is a risk. Naturally, once Covid is behind us, I don’t see global trade return to its former highs.
Jobs will come back to America, more than we thought.

One can argue that Trump got lucky - probably true in regards to timing.
On the issue itself he’s not too wrong - China’s subsidized cheap labor caused undesirable side effects.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2020, 07:31 PM

Offshoring so many “insignificant” products - like masks - has done a lot of harm. Offshoring other things, like pharmaceuticals, was a slowly growing problem already. It just wasn’t as obvious because it didn’t affect as many people directly.

So basically this situation has been an opportunity to see that “get it done as cheaply as possible” is a poor strategy. Not that some of us hadn’t already seen that...

Worse, if we put all of our “production eggs” in the one basket of a country that might be politically motivated to do us harm, then we run into having our bandages, masks, toilet paper and antibiotics essentially held hostage for political reasons.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2020, 08:38 PM

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 7, 2020, 09:21 PM

Apparently, the feds are confiscating PPE shipments ordered by states and municipalities. Massachusetts had a shipment of 3 million masks confiscated in March. Colorado was in the process of finalizing a purchase of PPEs only to have the feds step in and buy the shipment out from under them. All this after Trump told the states they would have to find their own supplies. No one knows where the confiscated supplies are going.

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2020, 03:21 AM

Colorado was in the process of finalizing a purchase of PPEs only to have the feds step in and buy the shipment out from under them. All this after Trump told the states they would have to find their own supplies. No one knows where the confiscated supplies are going.
I assume that will go to the federal stockpile, which is not for the states.
Although does that mean that the federal stockpile is meant for the US territories and DC (since they are not states)?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2020, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I assume that will go to the federal stockpile, which is not for the states.
Although does that mean that the federal stockpile is meant for the US territories and DC (since they are not states)?
They didn't seem all that keen on helping Puerto Rico. I'm guessing the Federal stockpiles are earmarked for Trump owned resorts.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 8, 2020, 07:08 AM

Or, Trump-friendly states.

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2020, 07:58 AM

They didn't seem all that keen on helping Puerto Rico. I'm guessing the Federal stockpiles are earmarked for Trump owned resorts.
The Puerto Ricans should have been more thankful for all this generosity from its neighbor America in the aftermath of the hurricane.

Forum Links
Forum Rules