Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > are you kidding me, problems with 4th mbp. dead hd?

are you kidding me, problems with 4th mbp. dead hd?
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 01:07 AM

ok my 4th mbp will not start at the start up screen I get a folder with a question mark.

I restart like 5 times. nothing. so I pop in the install dvd to see if I can reinstall os x or at least boot

now I get to the part were they ask you to select a destination and there are no options wft? did the hard drive of my two week old computer die? and for no reason at that.
( Last edited by onlykaria; Jun 2, 2006 at 02:41 AM. )
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 01:12 AM

ugh the hd is not showing up in the start disk, sys profiler or disc utility
Computers:

Danoldo
Jun 1, 2006, 01:31 AM

sounds like a dead HD...

Sue for 11ty billion dollars.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Danoldo
sounds like a dead HD...

Sue for 11ty billion dollars.
ugh this sucks. I was just about to do a back up this weekend. this sucks. I don't care to sue I just want something that qorks for more than a day or three
Computers:

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 09:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, is Apple replacing your MBP's with new or refurbished units? Mulitple failures in a row seems to suggest that they are simply swapping your returns with the returns of someone else.

Sorry about your HD by the way, I hope your 5th MBP is a winner.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Just out of curiosity, is Apple replacing your MBP's with new or refurbished units? Mulitple failures in a row seems to suggest that they are simply swapping your returns with the returns of someone else.

Sorry about your HD by the way, I hope your 5th MBP is a winner.
it was my hope that I was getting a new new machine with this on. and I was so working so good until this happened.
Computers:

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 01:25 PM

They don't swap them. If you sent it in for repair you're getting back the same machine.

Do you shut down and restart your machine properly or do you just turn if off? I work in IT and most users who have so many problems with their computers it's usually due to user error not the computer.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and I have no problems. I only have issues while running Windows. Which is to be expected considering boot camp is a beta and well ... it's Windows.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 01:44 PM

It's pretty hard to just shut off an Apple laptop. If you push the power button a dialog comes up asking if you want to sleep, shutdown, restart or cancel.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

dahcar
Jun 1, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by rcarlosnyc
They don't swap them. If you sent it in for repair you're getting back the same machine.

Do you shut down and restart your machine properly or do you just turn if off? I work in IT and most users who have so many problems with their computers it's usually due to user error not the computer.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and I have no problems. I only have issues while running Windows. Which is to be expected considering boot camp is a beta and well ... it's Windows.
What a jackass.

Sucks about your computer. Demand an upgrade or a refund!

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dahcar
What a jackass.

Sucks about your computer. Demand an upgrade or a refund!
yep this is the upgraded replacement. I like it I have not had problems with this 3rd replacement up until this point.

I ignored the post you quoted I have been using computers since the days of the commedore 64 when I was just a little girl. I am in a masters program so I am fair confident I know how to shut down a computer. I might not be able to build one but I can at least turn one off and know when it won't turn on.
Computers:

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
... restart like 5 times. ...
Stop doing that.

The only chance of recovering is to let the hard drive cool down, so turn it off and let it rest overnight. Then have a back up drive ready to go when you try it in the morning, and cross your fingers.

I've never had to do it, but some Powerbook owners with failing drives have put them in the freezer for a couple of hours (or out on the patio in the winter), and the drive worked well enough to save some data. If you try this, I would let it cool down to room temperature first....less chance of condensation/moisture inside the machine.

I'm not advocating that route, it's up to you....good luck.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by shunt
Stop doing that.

The only chance of recovering is to let the hard drive cool down, so turn it off and let it rest overnight. Then have a back up drive ready to go when you try it in the morning, and cross your fingers.

I've never had to do it, but some Powerbook owners with failing drives have put them in the freezer for a couple of hours (or out on the patio in the winter), and the drive worked well enough to save some data. If you try this, I would let it cool down to room temperature first....less chance of condensation/moisture inside the machine.

I'm not advocating that route, it's up to you....good luck.
you are right after a while of restarts I had to stop. I did let it sit over night. I took it the apple store fifth avenue. and as it were the hd is fine it is the motherboard that dead. they told me they could replace the motherboard but that would that 2 weeks. I choose to get a replacement mbp inside. it is at the store now as they do a data transfer.
Computers:

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2006, 12:38 AM

ugh.... the curses of first generation units....

Forum Links
Forum Rules