Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Needs Fixing - How do I go About it?!

MBP Needs Fixing - How do I go About it?!
stuppy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 01:29 PM

My Macbook Pro has a couple of Non-Critical issues, but are annoying me and I need them looked at.

The first problem is one that has been present from the when I first got it. There are a group of pixels in the very very top left corner of the screen that flicker constantly. It never really bothered me as they are out of sight and now I use my MBP with a external display 99% of the time - but still could do with looking at.

The second problem, again nothing major - I have the hiss that comes from the computer when it is idle. This really doesnt bother me but I understand that Apple are replacing the logic boards on affected computers?

And third, by far the most irritating. One of the fans on the computer is dodgey. When under load and the fans speed up, it sounds like one of them its catching something - and its causing abnormal noise. The noise is similar to that of when someone is using one of them strimmers on lawns or a lawnmower - obviously not as loud but is audible over the rest of the fan noise.

My computer is just over 4 months old. I contacted Apple just as my computer was out of the 3 month free Apple Care thing to see how I could get it fixed. They told me I needed to either pay 35quid for telephone support (?!), 280 quid for 3 Year Apple Care, or take the computer to the nearest Apple Store to have it looked at.

I refuse to pay 300 quid for insurance that I am never likely to use - and from what i've read Apple Care isn't really *that* special. The nearest Apple Store to me is a 1hr+ drive away. I was instructed I would need to take it there (by booking at time on the website to speak to an engineer), leave it with them to fix, and then go back and pick it up. I do not drive so finding someone to take me there is going to be a bitch of a problem.

The 35 quid one off thing I didn't understand. Am I right in understanding that with the 3year apple care thing that Apple send you a box etc to send the computer back to them and they deliver it back when its fixed? Is this what the one time 35quid deal is?

I really would like it fixing - but am looking for the easiest way of doing it. Sending it back via courier to apple and them sending it me back would be the easiest way.

Anyone got any ideas?
Macbook Pro 2GHz 15" :: 2GB Crucial Memory :: 100GB HDD :: ATi Radeon X1600 256 :: Superdrive :: Airport Wireless

dahcar
Aug 28, 2006, 02:33 PM

i suggest buying apple care. i tried to go without it, and it's a pain to deal with the people at the store. the nearest store is a 10 minute bus ride and it's almost too much to deal with. they'll say the job is done and you show up and nothing has been done. if i were to drive an hour to deal with that i'd be quite upset. i sent mine away through apple care and they are repairing many minor issues that the people at the store told me could not be fixed.

stuppy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 04:05 PM

Yeah thats no good to me as a) I do not have 300 pounds to lay out for it, and b) I refuse to do so out of principle.

I have paid top dollar for insurance schemes before and never used them.

So does anyone know what this 35 pound one off deal will get me?
Macbook Pro 2GHz 15" :: 2GB Crucial Memory :: 100GB HDD :: ATi Radeon X1600 256 :: Superdrive :: Airport Wireless

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 04:52 PM

Why don't you send it in to have it repaired. You paid a premium for a MacBook Pro, and you should be happy with it. Contact Apple and see what their procedure is-if it's like with iPods here in the States, they'll send you a prepaid shipping container - with all the necessary packing so the machine doesn't get broken in shippment - and right away, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 04:57 PM

IIRC, Applecare just extends your warranty another two years. If your machine is still under warranty, Apple should still fix it. Call the Apple support line and report the problems with your machine.

I've waited until the last moment to get Applecare before and Apple treated me the just the same before I bought it as after.

IMO, Applecare is a good buy for laptop users who tote their machines around. Apple won't fix your machine if a truck runs over it. However, they will fix non-"you obviously abused your machine" type problems. The fact is that mobile machines do take more wear and tear than desktop bound machines, so it's always good to get extra protection. The extra $/£300 will pay for itself after the first major problem.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 11:33 PM

what i hate about applecare is that no matter when you purchase the insurance wether it be the same day or you decide t owait before the year is over-the covergae begins the moment you purchase the computer-so on top of having the 1 year limited warranty running you have the apple care running at the same time wich to me is the dumbest **** ever.

other companys do the exteneded warranty right after the lkimited one runs out so that you have more time-but apple is diffrent and i hate their way of handling stuff.

with other companys you get the 1 year limited warranty + the 3 or 4 year extended warranty depending on what you purchase so youll get 1+3=4

with apple you get the limited warranty and the aplpe care and still only get 3 years. thats just wrong.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2006, 07:24 PM

You get better phone based service AND AN EXTRA TWO YEARS HARDWARE COVERAGE. What's the downside again, Javizun? I'm really confused.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 03:15 AM

stuppy, I know what you're talking about.

Apple Europe has a very shitty attitude when it comes to warranty repair. The legal fact is they have to do warranty repairs within 1 year of purchase. AppleCare or no AppleCare doesn't have squat to do with it. You're also not asking for phone support (which is only 90 days w/o AC), you're asking for warranty repair.

I was in the same situation with an Al PB G4 and decided to take it to an authorized dealer. That guy did the warranty repair, but he charged $60 since he had to do the paperwork with Apple. He claimed Apple should have taken down my case, given me a case number and then sent me to a dealer. Since I didn't have a case number he would have to do the registration with Apple. I caved in because I was sick and tired of it.

My advice to you: Demand they send you a shipping box and have it sent in for warranty repair. Remain clear that they are obliged by law to repair or replace your machine within 1 year of purchase regardless of AC. Also mention that you will certainly not even consider getting AC if this is the service experience you have to expect from them. If they stubbornly refuse to have it sent in to them, demand they take down your case and give you a case number so you can take it to a AASP. Good luck and keep us posted.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2006, 05:30 AM

If you are sending ur machine in, they first do a diagnostic on your problems, if they find it to be a problem due to poor manufacturing, they obviously replace it. But the problem lies in how obvious your issues are. Some are obvious, some are not, and some are inbetween. Also, it depends if the problem is due to neglect, abuse, etc or anything that lies along those lines. So there is a lot for the techs to consider and investigate before they actually repair your machine.

2) When I sent my mbp in for the first time a week ago, the rep told me a lot of people send their machines in for repairs for all sorts of random problems/issues, and that many of them are returned w/o any fixes due to its ambiguity.

My experience w/ USA AppleCare is that they have been helpful nontheless. All I had to do was be polite, tell them what the problem was and would like a box sent to have it looked at. The box came at a timely manner and returned on a 5 business day turnaround time. I didn't give them any sort of attitude about my warranty repairs because they didn't give me a reason to. But if they did attempt to deny service, then I would press a little harder.

stuppy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 03:33 PM

So are you guys saying that regardless of whether or not I have any Apple Care, they should still send me a box for me to send it back, and not have me going 50 miles up a motorway and back, and then back again to collect it from the nearest Apple Store?

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 03:41 PM

That's the way it's always been for me, but you may have a different experience if you're not in the USA.

I've never had a problem getting service for a PowerBook even when I was just on warranty. I've always ended up getting Applecare because I think it's a no-brainer for portables, but the phone service people have always been accommodating in either case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules