Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Has MagSafe saved your butt?

Has MagSafe saved your butt?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 04:40 PM

Has the MagSafe connector saved you from pulling your Mac off the table because of tripping on the cord? That was Apple claim as to why they invented MagSafe. Not that I'm against it, but I'm wondering if it really has helped you.

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 04:45 PM

No. In fact, I find it somewhat annoying due to its propensity to disconnect so easily. I wish they would have made it an option - for those of us that prefer the older style push connectors and don't use our machines in environments where one would have to worry about someone tripping over the wire.
The Quintessential Featherhead.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 05:10 PM

I almost ripped my roommate's eMachines laptop off a table due to the friction-based connector, luckily it stopped before the edge. I welcome the MagSafe.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 05:52 PM

i love the magsafe....makes plugging in with the lights off EEEEEEEEEE ZZZZZZZZZ.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 06:08 PM

As someone who is clumsy, who is married to someone who is clumsy, and who has four pets, the magsafe connector has indeed been a lifesaver on a number of occasions.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 06:09 PM

Yes, a guest tripped over my powercord twice in one day and it snapped cleanly out of the socket. It would have otherwise yanked the computer right off the table.

spice003
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 06:27 PM

it did last night. when my brother pulled on the cord with his foot. he even said that good thing they came up with that.

dahcar
Dec 14, 2006, 07:52 PM

i can't count how many times i have ripped it out by it catching on something or tripping. i can't say that it would have fallen every time, but it's nice to know that it may have prevented it. making it an option is a terrible idea. it should be standard.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Dec 14, 2006, 08:34 PM

I never had a problem with the connector on my iBook...never pulled it off the table or anything like that. It seems that since I've upgraded to the MB, I've tripped over the power cord and ripped the MagSafe connector out countless times...

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2006, 09:31 PM

i dont have my MBP yet but i did trip over my sisters ibook, it came crashing down but they are built very well and it kept running smothly.

Ryanhdd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 09:38 PM

I love it. it has saved my mac a few times.

wancothesane
Dec 14, 2006, 09:48 PM

i move around wiht my mbp alot, and sometimes when i yank too far the magsafe lets go so i don't drop the computer or soemthing

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 10:43 PM

Yes, I tripped over my power chord which would have pulled my Macbook off of the table, but thankfully the power chord detached instead.
Michael

aryayush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 07:57 AM

It has saved my precious MBP on a couple of occasions too. I'm very thankful for this addition. Had it not been there, it would have cost me my brand new MBP - which Apple would not even have replaced.

Seeing the response in this thread, I think it would be safe to say that the MagSafe adapter should be a standard on all laptops.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2006, 01:04 PM

Yes, but not my underwear.
SAm

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 01:40 PM

it hasn't saved me but I think it's so cool I unplug my computer just for the heck of plugging it back in

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

ONG
Dec 15, 2006, 02:17 PM

i dnt know what others are complaining about the magsafe coming off to easily.... mine is pluggin' in perfectly. good idea IMO.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2006, 04:47 PM

I have found the cord with my feet a couple of times and didn't notice it had unplugged until I glanced up to look at the time and saw my battery indicator! I guess that was a tragedy averted.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 07:47 PM

My MBP Magsafe connector has been knocked loose about a dozen times in just two weeks. With our 3 PB G4s none of those routine knocks ever dumped a PB on the floor, however one PB died from a failure of the power connection, which is actually part of the mobo. The other two PB G4s developed intermittent shorts at that connection but are still working.

The Magsafe is an excellent, elegant piece of very useful engineering.

Originally Posted by Nyuni View Post
No. In fact, I find it somewhat annoying due to its propensity to disconnect so easily. I wish they would have made it an option - for those of us that prefer the older style push connectors and don't use our machines in environments where one would have to worry about someone tripping over the wire.
My premise would be that if a connector is "disconnecting easily" then that by definition justifies the Magsafe. Even fairly gentle forces on the electronics of a laptop computer in use are a bad thing, and if there were no forces at all being applied the Magsafe would not be disconnecting.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 16, 2006 at 08:02 PM. )

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 02:12 AM

As a very clumsy guy, I must admit that it has saved my darling MacBook more times than I can count. I don't know how my old iBook survived, honestly.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 03:45 AM

I see someone's MB/P get saved every day in class when someone walks over the cable and yanks it out. Once I ditch my ibook I will welcome it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 09:17 AM

it would have if I had a MBP, now my PB has a HUGE dent by the power port and my power adapter plug is all bent out of proportion. It takes a vast amount of force to plug in the power.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 05:19 PM

I have seen so many stories of notebooks falling due to tripping on the cord, the magsafe has saved more macbooks than people have complained about "disconnecting too easily".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I have seen so many stories of notebooks falling due to tripping on the cord, the magsafe has saved more macbooks than people have complained about "disconnecting too easily".
I think its a great idea, but I wish the conector to computer was normal with a break-a-way cord and dongle. No chance of fire or messed up expensive repair to computer!

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2006, 11:18 AM

No, I am very careful with where I place my computer and the plug is always out of the way.

I did have an interesting thing w/ the magsafe plug yesterday.

I have one of those high-tech flashlights with a magnetic switch -- I threw it into the accessory pocket of my carrying case and the magsafe connector triggered it. Luckily I caught it after about 30 minutes. Could have had a fire or at least melted the ballistic nylon case.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2006, 12:06 PM

MagSafe hasn't saved my butt yet (or my MB Pro for that matter), but I do appreciate the technology.

My one "still getting used to it" situation is the fact the it connects to the left side instead of the right, as was the case with my iBook. I've pulled the MagSafe out numerous times just by the cable getting tangled underfoot while getting out of a chair.

Forum Links
Forum Rules