Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > pick up vs order online

pick up vs order online
kjm
Oct 1, 2003, 03:36 PM

We're looking to get the new PowerBook 12" 1ghz model and can't seem to decide on whether we should pick up a stock model at the Apple store and then add the extras or just order from the Apple store online? Honestly, I'd rather order online, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so with all the stories I've read from users having their shipping dates delayed.

As far as I know, the Apple store locations do not install hard drives but do install RAM. Any other things they do or do not install (airport extreme card, etc)? Just wondering if 512 RAM with the 60gb hard drive be sufficient enough? At least, not give me any problems.

Also, when I purchase the iPod and buy/download music from iTunes are we allowed to then burn those songs onto a CD?

This will be my first Apple machine and laptop so I want things to go as smoothly as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
( Last edited by kjm; Oct 2, 2003 at 11:25 AM. )

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 03:42 PM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums & congrats on choosing an AlBook!

First off, stock 12" PB models come with a *40GB* hard drive, not 60GB. To get the 60GB or 80GB, you *must* order online and specify that option. Also, do *not* buy RAM from Apple! They charge WAY too much...instead, get it from www.18004memory.com
I purchased my RAM for my 12" PB there much cheaper (the regular king, not "HyperSpeed"), and it's worked perfectly.

I'd personally just get the stock model, and upgrade the RAM myself...for me, 40GB is plenty big, however, if you prefer more hard drive space, order online. If not, pick one up in-store and install the RAM yourself when it arrives. It's quite simple, and Apple provides a picture guide of how to do it in your 12" PB manual.

Also, I'd opt for a 512MB RAM chip from 18004memory for a total of 768MB of RAM...trust me, OS X loves RAM, and the more you have, the more enjoyable your computer experience will be.

Apple Stores will only install RAM and AirPort Extreme cards, not hard drives and/or optical drives.

And yes, you can burn your purchased music onto CDs.

Again, congrats on coming to Mac
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

kjm  (op)
Oct 2, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Welcome to the MacNN Forums & congrats on choosing an AlBook!

First off, stock 12" PB models come with a *40GB* hard drive, not 60GB. To get the 60GB or 80GB, you *must* order online and specify that option. Also, do *not* buy RAM from Apple! They charge WAY too much...instead, get it from www.18004memory.com
I purchased my RAM for my 12" PB there much cheaper (the regular king, not "HyperSpeed"), and it's worked perfectly.

I'd personally just get the stock model, and upgrade the RAM myself...for me, 40GB is plenty big, however, if you prefer more hard drive space, order online. If not, pick one up in-store and install the RAM yourself when it arrives. It's quite simple, and Apple provides a picture guide of how to do it in your 12" PB manual.

Also, I'd opt for a 512MB RAM chip from 18004memory for a total of 768MB of RAM...trust me, OS X loves RAM, and the more you have, the more enjoyable your computer experience will be.

Apple Stores will only install RAM and AirPort Extreme cards, not hard drives and/or optical drives.

And yes, you can burn your purchased music onto CDs.

Again, congrats on coming to Mac
Thank you for the kind welcome and informative reply

I am aware that the 12" PowerBook stock model includes a 40gb hard drive, which is why I'm in a bit of dilemma. If I want just a stock model I can pick it up at my local Apple store. On the other hand, I wanted to upgrade the hard drive, ram, and possibly add the airport extreme card; which of course would mean I'd have to order online. My only problem in doing so, is the fact that I've read plenty of threads where people have had their shipping dates pushed back. Now, just to be clear would the 512 RAM with the 60gb hard drive be sufficient enough? At least, not give me any problems.

Lastly, I'm trying to convince a gf of mine that the airport extreme card would be a good thing to add. So besides the fact you'll have to add the airport extreme basestation for surfing the web wirelessly at home and maybe stopping at a Starbucks and using it there as well, what are some other good advantages of the airport extreme card?

kjm  (op)
Oct 6, 2003, 07:25 AM

I was going to order the 512mb ram pre-installed from Apple on the 12" PowerBook. Just wondering if the 12" PowerBook has a slot for two sticks of ram? If so, would I be able to add an extra 512mb with the pre-installed 512mb?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 11:08 AM

I beleive that the 12" PB comes with its memory "soldered" on the MB and you only have access to ONE slot which either way will be empty. The max RAM you can have in your PB I beleive is 1.25 GB since the soldered amount will not change, if you choose to get memory from Apple they will stick a 256MB module on the upgradeable slot which in my opinion is just not very economical.. Get the stock RAM and ugrade yourself, MUCH cheaper... as far as the AE card you can also install it yourself no need for Apple to do it and take 3 weeks to do it

Get the stock model, there is nothing like walking out of an Apple store with your PB in your hands (instant gratification) 40GB i think is enough... If things get tight archive some data or use your iPod...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 11:26 AM

Welcome tot he board and also congrats on the forthcoming switch!

With regard to your questions, I always think that going to a store is much, much better as you have control over the situation... I hate being left at other people's mercy!

As for RAM, yep, no way go to Apple! I use Crucial, and they have proved themselves to be excellent over the last 3 years,

You can put in an AE card yourself in about 2 minutes so that also isn't really a critical consideration.

It just comes down to the harddrive... How much do you intend on using? And what will you be using the machine for?

I would be tempted to go totally stock and get the machine, and then assess your usage... Then you could get a Firewire HD or something which would be even more useful than an internal drive should you want to back up things, use them with a different machine etc...

Also there is often an issue with replacement and returns with BTO machines... I believe that the process, should something be wrong, is much more involved than with a stock model...

I would say it would be better for you to go to the store and sort the upgrades yourself...

Peace,

Marc

kjm  (op)
Oct 7, 2003, 11:34 AM

The stock model option would deffinately save a few bucks that I could use for accessories, software, and more RAM. Being as though I will mostly use it for projects (web development & graphic design), school, and personal use I may opt for the slightly bigger hard drive. My main concern is getting the laptop that is reliable and will last me at least a couple years. It's deffinately true though - I'd rather walk out with the laptop in my hands or I can pay a little more and upgrade it but then the wait will be horrible! Decisions, Decisions.

When ordering the Airport Extreme card online from Apple as an upgrade option, do they install it for you or do they just send the AE box and you install it yourself?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 11:43 AM

i don't know if this is any help, but i got my 15 only recently and i got mine from the store. The people at the store helped me with everything, being that i'm a first time apple user. They ran a pixel check for me, and made sure everything was fine with the machine. That way, when i got home and turned it on, I wouldn't find something wrong that would cause me to go back to the store. At least if you get it from the store, you'd have the staff to help you with all your needs and questions. Apples rock!
Hi!

kjm  (op)
Oct 7, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
i don't know if this is any help, but i got my 15 only recently and i got mine from the store. The people at the store helped me with everything, being that i'm a first time apple user. They ran a pixel check for me, and made sure everything was fine with the machine. That way, when i got home and turned it on, I wouldn't find something wrong that would cause me to go back to the store. At least if you get it from the store, you'd have the staff to help you with all your needs and questions. Apples rock!
This will be my first Apple machine and first laptop so I'm deffinately nervous and excited about it. The people at the local Apple store also seemed really friendly answering questions and such. If I order a PowerBook from the Apple Store online would I still be able to take it in to my local Apple Store for questions, upgrading or installing things, etc? Or is this only available when one purchases the PowerBook specifically from their store. Speaking of Apple stores, anyone know when the UTC La Jolla location will open?

I've been reading other threads of people reporting their shipping dates and was wondering what is the usual shipping time? If I order a laptop on the Oct. 15th what should I expect for my time of arrival?
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by kjm:
This will be my first Apple machine and first laptop so I'm deffinately nervous and excited about it. The people at the local Apple store also seemed really friendly answering questions and such. If I order a PowerBook from the Apple Store online would I still be able to take it in to my local Apple Store for questions, upgrading or installing things, etc? Or is this only available when one purchases the PowerBook specifically from their store. Speaking of Apple stores, anyone know when the UTC La Jolla location will open?

I've been reading other threads of people reporting their shipping dates and was wondering what is the usual shipping time? If I order a laptop on the Oct. 15th what should I expect for my time of arrival?
Yah, you can still go to the apple store for questions about your online order. In fact, they have an apple bar where you can take your computer to get fixed. Its cool. La Jolla huh? I love surfing out in San Diego! As for shipping times, i think right now its 7 to 10 business days after your original date. I just wanted mine right away!
Hi!

kjm  (op)
Oct 7, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
Yah, you can still go to the apple store for questions about your online order. In fact, they have an apple bar where you can take your computer to get fixed. Its cool. La Jolla huh? I love surfing out in San Diego! As for shipping times, i think right now its 7 to 10 business days after your original date. I just wanted mine right away!
Great! I'll deffinately feel comfortable knowing that I can take my baby in if I have questions Apple Bar? Are you serious?! Is it like a drinking bar or just a hang out place? The 7 - 10 days wait for shipping isn't too bad. I read some people were constantly having their shipping dates pushed back and some even waited about a month. San Diego is beautiful, but can't wait until it gets the 2nd Apple Store!
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 12:30 PM

Buy online from a reseller such as macmall or whomever and save yourself the sales tax, plus get free ram or a free airport card installed, and even free shipping if you look around.

http://www.macprices.com/12pbtracker.shtml

just be sure to buy from a company that does not charge sales tax in whatever state you are in. That will save you almost 200 dollars.

Use that to buy extra RAM, or an iPod or upgrade to a DVD burning model etc.

Unless you are rich..then go ahead and buy direct from a store.

kjm  (op)
Oct 7, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
Buy online from a reseller such as macmall or whomever and save yourself the sales tax, plus get free ram or a free airport card installed, and even free shipping if you look around.

just be sure to buy from a company that does not charge sales tax in whatever state you are in. That will save you almost 200 dollars.

After reading this thread and this thread on another forum I don't think I'll be using macmall.com I feel safer buying from Apple, even if it does cost a bit more. Although I'm not "rich" I take comfort in knowing that buying directly from Apple will be easier if any problems or questions should arise with my purchase.

Basically the link has the following:

1) User purchased a 15" 1.25 ghz PowerBook that wouldn't even boot. He got grey screen kernal errors, etc. Apparently, macmall took out the stock Apple RAM and replaced it with generic RAM.

2) User purchased a 12" iBook which died after a week; also stated that macmall has a "no return policy".

3) User purchased RAM and recieved "dirty and used" looking sticks.

The list goes on. Guess I'll be ordering directly from Apple.
</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 01:20 PM

Err, i'm not rich either, i just happened upon a cool educational discount, plus the $200 rebate for an ipod. Sweet!
Hi!

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 01:46 PM

ABSOLUTELY do NOT buy from MacMall. Check out these horror stories about MacMall on Epinions.com.

Instead, buy from a more reputable dealer, such as CDW. This is their review there.

I myself bought from CDW, saved about $300 on sales tax, and got a flawless 17-inch PowerBook [Rev. A], coupled with excellent customer service. They even double-checked with me by e-mail to ensure that the Mac had arrived safely.

DekuDekuplex

PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Forum Links
Forum Rules